The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #19,667 of 24,807
Ok STAX people I have some questions. 

I am now using SRM-1 MK II with my SR-404LE. My question is this: would an SRM-313 be an upgrade for me or should I consider SRM-323s or should I just scratch all of that and go for Woo GES? This is also related to a future upgrade to SR-007 MKII or I. Which one of these amps can do justice and be the most optimal for both 404LE for now and SR-007 later? Or what I have right now (SRM-1 MK II) is good enough to not worry about upgrading to those mentioned above? 

Thanks a lot. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #19,668 of 24,807
I seem to have resolved the hair in Stax problem, but now I want to buy the Stax cloth dust covers so it doesn't happen again. I see that StaxUSA (Yamas) sells these, but are they even worth trying to purchase from? If not, are their any other alternatives? I don't need particularly quick service. I just want to get my hands on a pair of these.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #19,669 of 24,807
Quote:
Ok STAX people I have some questions. 

I am now using SRM-1 MK II with my SR-404LE. My question is this: would an SRM-313 be an upgrade for me or should I consider SRM-323s or should I just scratch all of that and go for Woo GES? This is also related to a future upgrade to SR-007 MKII or I. Which one of these amps can do justice and be the most optimal for both 404LE for now and SR-007 later? Or what I have right now (SRM-1 MK II) is good enough to not worry about upgrading to those mentioned above? 

Thanks a lot. 

Has your SRM-1 MKII ever had the electrolytic caps replaced? The SRM-1 MKII is a pretty good overall amp,
other than the fact age is catching up to them. Changing out the caps adds back some of the lost high end response.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #19,670 of 24,807
Quote:
I seem to have resolved the hair in Stax problem, but now I want to buy the Stax cloth dust covers so it doesn't happen again. I see that StaxUSA (Yamas) sells these, but are they even worth trying to purchase from? If not, are their any other alternatives? I don't need particularly quick service. I just want to get my hands on a pair of these.

I didn't buy a dust cover from Yama's/STAX USA, but I did buy a replacement headband fork from them once to repair an SR-202 a while back. They shipped it promptly.

I wouldn't expect anything different if you're ordering a dust cover instead of a headband part, unless they happen to be out of stock right now, which I doubt.

Good to hear that you fixed it; these Normal bias Lambdas are incredible headphones, even compared to their successors!

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #19,671 of 24,807
I don't doubt that this has been covered somewhere but I've searched and can't find it. There are adapters easily available to convert my 6CG7 tubes to 6SN7's in my 006T amp. If nothing else, that gives me a far better choice for tube rolling. Is there any reason why the amp would not like this conversion or that it might be electronically unwise to do this?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #19,673 of 24,807
Quote:
The 6CG7 is just the modern equivalent of the 6SN7 (which was outdated by the late 50's) so you shouldn't have any issues with doing this.  Take care though that some of these adapters are very badly made. 

Can you suggest a supplier with good quality adapters? I really don't want to burn down the house or fry the dog.

I should have mentioned that I realize I will be running the new tubes with the top off the box, I doubt they will fit with the top down. My tube amps have no top so no big deal. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #19,674 of 24,807
Quote:
Can you suggest a supplier with good quality adapters? I really don't want to burn down the house or fry the dog.

I should have mentioned that I realize I will be running the new tubes with the top off the box, I doubt they will fit with the top down. My tube amps have no top so no big deal. 

You could try PM'ing 2359Glenn or post a message in this Forum http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/855

Glenn if very good at making adapters, however I don't know if he's made this one or would be willing to make just a couple. Still you never know unless you try.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #19,675 of 24,807
Quote:
I don't doubt that this has been covered somewhere but I've searched and can't find it. There are adapters easily available to convert my 6CG7 tubes to 6SN7's in my 006T amp. If nothing else, that gives me a far better choice for tube rolling. Is there any reason why the amp would not like this conversion or that it might be electronically unwise to do this?

If you use the adapters, you won't be able to get the cover back on the amp. Or you will have to punch holes in the top cover.
Most if not all 6sn7's are not going to like 700 volts on the plate, so large voltage swings might get nasty. And the tube
bias might be slightly out of range requiring resistor changes.

This is what you are looking for
http://www.ebay.com/itm/two-Adapter-for-6SN7-CV181-plug-adapters-to-instead-6CG7-tubes-/251091636787?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a763a5233
quality unknown

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #19,676 of 24,807
Who wants some SR-Sigma Normal bias drivers?

I'm pretty sure they're the same drivers used in the SR-Lambda, too, hence why I wanted them so much so that I could put 'em in that SR-303 I have lying around...but too many other deals I couldn't resist cropped up, and I have no chance of affording these now.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #19,677 of 24,807
Quote:
Who wants some SR-Sigma Normal bias drivers?

I'm pretty sure they're the same drivers used in the SR-Lambda, too, hence why I wanted them so much so that I could put 'em in that SR-303 I have lying around...but too many other deals I couldn't resist cropped up, and I have no chance of affording these now.

257 +30 USD for a sigma (non pro ) DRIVER!!! its unused but a few years old, shipped from italy.

are SR-SIGMA Drivers worth that? I mean if i were to get a sigma ( non-pro ) i would throw away the driver ( not now , now ill sell it 
tongue_smile.gif
) and swap Lambda pro driver in there.

Hope the buyer enjoys it.

On another note, auctions on ebay are crazy! i mean, i have seen people bid 1400 in last minutes , for which i thought, " OK, I wont go above 800 for this ".

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #19,678 of 24,807
Quote:
257 +30 USD for a sigma (non pro ) DRIVER!!! its unused but a few years old, shipped from italy.

are SR-SIGMA Drivers worth that? I mean if i were to get a sigma ( non-pro ) i would throw away the driver ( not now , now ill sell it 
tongue_smile.gif
) and swap Lambda pro driver in there.

Hope the buyer enjoys it.

On another note, auctions on ebay are crazy! i mean, i have seen people bid 1400 in last minutes , for which i thought, " OK, I wont go above 800 for this ".

Well, the driver is the most important part of any headphone, and if they're in working order and balanced with each other, I can see them fetching a pretty penny. Electrostatic drivers have extremely tight tolerances, as I found out when gluing a split SR-303 driver back together and finding out it was still noticeably quieter than the other driver, which had stayed intact.

I wasn't quite expecting that high of a price, though. I once saw an SR-Lambda by itself, Buy-It-Now, for just $250. I thought about buying it right then and there, but decided to wait a bit to make sure it was a good deal (got mine for the same price, but also including an SRD-7/SB), went to sleep, woke up the next morning, and...someone already snapped it up.

Then again, this is eBay. Seems like the prices are higher there because of all the bidders who don't mind paying up so much.

Oh, and speaking of drivers...anyone got a spare SR-303/404 driver lying around?

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #19,679 of 24,807
Yup the drivers are the most important part of any headphone, BUT sigma. For sigma the unique housing is most important.
The drivers in sgma are not most important cause they can be swapped with stax sr-x0x , with better result. Thats why i said , why would anyone buy sigma SB drivers.
There was a sigma on auction on ebay at 699 no one bid on that and here we have 15 people bidding around 300 for a driver that wont do you much good without a proper housing( add to that almost all other drivers will be better in that housing)

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #19,680 of 24,807
Hello everybody!

I have the opportunity to get a Stax Gamma Pro. Is anybody here who can answer these questions:

1) How neutral are these phones?
2) How do they compare soundwise to the Hifiman He-400 or planars in general (Audeze, Hifiman)?

Thanks for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back