The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #19,276 of 24,807
Hello!
I have a cable connection piece (NOS for lambda NB) and an old cable. Want make an extension cable from that stuff. But I am not quite sure, how to connect the cable. In the picture you see the same socket - back and front at the same position - up to up.
How does correspond EVERY PIN of the back side to the slots in front???
Do you know the function of the "gold"  metal circle??

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #19,281 of 24,807
You´re right, I moved the tabs and saw the movement in the slots. Thanks.
Now I work from time to time at the SRM-Xh, I bought last month. A little and sweet amp with some brightness in sound - it´s pushing my 007 Mk1 without problems (at mid levels)... And that needs urgently 8 new cups. No problem, I collected all for the swap (with about 20-50% more voltage res.). But I have no idea, where I could find a wiring diagram for it. Just curious about the construction of that baby. I know, it´s possible to provide better p. supply and increase voltage to 14-15V. Some other moderate tuning suggestions?
(The pot knob is not that original).

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #19,282 of 24,807
That one is a bit of an odd duck.  It was Stax trying to make an ultra cheap amp and it is the only Stax amp to feature mosfet output devices (K216).  I'm guessing they were burning off some T2 stocks.  It started life as the SRM-Xs amp for electrets but some were sold as Xh's as well with the bias hooked up.  It was quickly abandoned for the green PCB version.  I've worked on one of these and it sounds odd as one would expect with mosfets.  There is no heatsinking on the output devices so I didn't dare to increase the voltage plus the K216 is rather limited in terms of voltage.  I just replaced the caps and that's it. 

With the green PCB you can go to town as seen here:

Full balanced input with a TKD pot and higher rail voltages. 
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #19,283 of 24,807
Wow... It' s max tuning I' ve ever seen. You changed almost all, what was suitable to change. Yeah, the green pcb has different design, indeed. The picture itself - very impressiv. Too bad that it does not sound as it looks. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #19,284 of 24,807
eBay heads-up: Lambda Pro + SRD-7 Pro.

It's an auction, so who knows what the final selling price might be, but the potential for a good deal is there...unless you end up going against the usual overzealous eBay bidders who bid way more than they should on these things. (Reminds me of the time when a Lambda Pro + SRM-1/Mk2 Pro sold for around $800 or so.)

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #19,285 of 24,807

Hey Spritzer! I have an SRM-Xs as well powering a pair of SR-202s. Any comments on this? It looks slightly different from the one soundoholic has but only slightly. Much later serial number though:

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #19,286 of 24,807
Why does my customized Stax SRA 12 S sound worse than my stock SRA 12S?  What is up with the recent customizing of SRA 12 S's?  What exactly is changed? Any information would be great?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #19,289 of 24,807
Thought I'd share my pleasant service from Stax today. I popped by their office 'cos (being vain), my SR-009 had a scratch on the headband so I wanted it replaced. They were very pleasant and accommodating! They'll will change my headband under warranty and ship the headphones back to me in the next day :D. They even asked if I wanted anything else done, so I asked for a general check. I'm very happy with their service despite the scratch being my fault.

@Arnaud, sorry I went without you. As you can guess I won't have much time in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back