The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #16,232 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
  I'm sorry if you felt that we were being territorial. But seriously, these aren't impression threads. It's better to have a central repertoire of information on these builds. It'll be less likely for someone to miss a key piece of information this way, and KG  wouldn't have to answer the same questions a thousand times. Besides, the existing threads already have a wealth of information in it. I fail to see why we need new threads for them. If KG feels like it's better to open a thread here, he will. 

That pretty much sums up what I thought.

1. I wasn't providing a guide for anyone to build an amplifier, or in any way making a repository of information- I created a thread (and then deleted it so as not to step on any toes) for two purposes: First, to have a place where people who have already built DIY T2's could put their reviews, pictures, listening impressions  for us to read  and second, for a place for people building T2's to put a little info on their progress and then give their listening impressions.  This is completely a different type of thread than the original thread where the Great Minds can discuss their idea without being bothered by newbies asking about the resistor color code etc.

2. < I fail to see why we need new threads for them.>  There no threads on Head-fi.org for the T2.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #16,233 of 24,807

Quote:
people should really make specific threads for builds and DIY. It makes the info a lot more accessible to others who want to do the same stax related things. and removes the need to trawl through pages and pages of unrelated posts.
A long time ago, perhaps, mods should've just made people make separate threads (or maybe separate electrostatics subforum) instead of it all (ok not all but a lot of it) ending in the 2x 1000p threads.

Yes  I had started a separate thread and then was told it was a bad idea.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #16,234 of 24,807

Quote:

Oh dear, Little Diode took you to the cleaners on those 2SC3381. Ouch!
Elsewhere, they can be had for <$2ea, unless they too have sold out.
If you bought your ebay sand from a source in Israel, they are most likely fakes.
One type that has caused others grief was the 2SK216.
Read up on it in the T2 thread over there...

What deadlylover said, "test, test, test"!

Please dont feel bad.
Many of us have had to spend extra to fund this pursuit to build the T2.
What is important is to keep the junk parts out of the build.
In the past this has proven to create much grief during the test phase, bringing seasoned engineers to their knees.
I for one do not want to encounter the same problems that others have dealt with in the recent past.
Troubleshooting a complicated build like this is no walk in the park.

There may be fakes in my eBay purchases, yes.  I'll have to rebuy them, I'm afraid. < I re-bought them from B D Ent., and filed a dispute with PayPal for the fakes. >

I had a hard time finding 2SC3381, I had ordered them from  two other places whose web sites said "in stock' only to get phone calls saying they didn't actually have any.  I subsequently found some for about 1/2 of what I paid, but at least I GOT them.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #16,235 of 24,807

Quote:

[size=11.0pt]Are you sure about no copyrights? [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Power supply is different design from the original T2 PS. The amplifier section has at least a new topology from Dr. Gilmore, not to mention case thermal management (perhaps industrial design?). [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Sure he has released BOM, schematics (perhaps patents over the amplifier section schematic are no longer enforceable) and PCB layouts as companies can do reverse engineering anyway, isn’t it?  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]As far as I am concerned, the original designer and Dr. Gilmore gave permission for[/size] [size=11.0pt]DIY only[/size][size=11.0pt]. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]IMHO, I still think there is some extent of intellectual property protection regarding such amplifier. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]No company is authorized to replicate the innovative part of it without Dr. Gilmore authorization, although very few companies would want to do it. Stax itself won’t do it again. Is there a relevant market for it? [/size]

[size=11.0pt]The serious companies able to do small runs of expensive amplifiers would ask for a license anyway.[/size]

I can find no  copyrights on DIY T2 anywhere including US Copyright Office.

Note that I am NOT a company and am NOT making DIY T2's for sale, I am building one for myself.  I don't know what prompted your remarks regarding intellectual property.  I am not posting schematics, BOM's PCB designs.... etc.  Don't know where you got any such ideas.

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #16,236 of 24,807

Quote:
I can find no  copyrights on DIY T2 anywhere including US Copyright Office.

Note that I am NOT a company and am NOT making DIY T2's for sale, I am building one for myself.  I don't know what prompted your remarks regarding intellectual property.  I am not posting schematics, BOM's PCB designs.... etc.  Don't know where you got any such ideas.

Do not worry. I know you are in good faith, for DIY. I have never meant to say you were going to violate any intellectual property. 
bigsmile_face.gif

What prompted my remarks was the fact that you phrased "there are no copyrights or patents" and sometimes words are tricky and I like to be precise.
wink_face.gif

According to US Copyright Law:

Quote:
§ 408. Copyright registration in general 
(a) Registration Permissive. — At any time during the subsistence of the first term of copyright in any published or unpublished work in which the copyright was secured before January 1, 1978, and during the subsistence of any copyright secured on or after that date, the owner of copyright or of any exclusive right in the work may obtain registration of the copyright claim by delivering to the Copyright Office the deposit specified by this section, together with the application and fee specified by sections 409 and 708. Such registration is not a condition of copyright protection.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap4.html#408

I am not saying every aspect intellectual property is protected under the copyright law.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #16,237 of 24,807
So, well.. BHSE vs ordinary KGSS has been described nearby, but I'd also like to know how does KGSSHV relate to BHSE in terms of sound? And also T2 vs BHSE. I suspect though that very few people acutally had all of them..

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #16,238 of 24,807

Quote:
So, well.. BHSE vs ordinary KGSS has been described nearby, but I'd also like to know how does KGSSHV relate to BHSE in terms of sound? And also T2 vs BHSE. I suspect though that very few people acutally had all of them..

It's been a while and I no longer have the time to follow as intensely as I used to but I would suspect perhaps Spritzer may have owned them all at various times?

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #16,243 of 24,807

Quote:
There is not a whole lot of difference between the two amps and both are excellent. 

Thanks for your reply. I got a good deal (relatively speaking...it's still UK prices) on a 323S + 507 combo, so I decided to go with the newer version.
I was very tempted by the 600ltd, but it's about £800 more than the 323S, and I remember you or someone else saying that at the end of the day the difference between the two amps is not worth the price.
The 323S is not in stock, so I'll have to wait a few days, hopefully not weeks.

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #16,244 of 24,807

I've had my SR-Lambda (normal bias, but with rebuilt drivers and 2.5 micron diaphragms; sound familiar?) for a few hours now, and so far, I'm liking it.

-It's very light and comfortable. Even moreso than the AD700, which is saying something. They also stay on my head better. Fortunately, they don't hurt my neck at all.
-You're not kidding when you say the music just tends to float into your ears. Very, very little eardrum-thumping compared to dynamic drivers of any sort. I'm not complaining.
-Music seems to be less...veiled, for lack of a better term. Perhaps this is what all of you meant by "clear sound".
-Gaming with CMSS-3D Headphone is just as effective, if not moreso. Front imaging seems a bit better over the AD700s, though I haven't ruled out the possibility that it could be even better if CMSS-3D Headphone's generic HRTF settings perfectly matched my own unique HRTF.
-The TrackClip Pro fits better on the Lambda's headband than the AD700's. Not that this is going to concern most people, but as comfortable as these things are, I'd rather not have to wear a baseball cap with a reflector clip on it whenever I'm in a dogfighting mood. (While I'm at it, what if it could be used to approximate the head-tracking feature of the Beyerdynamic Headzone and Smyth SVS Realiser in software?)

Still just first impressions, though, and confirmation bias could be kicking in. Regardless, I already like these, and the only negative is that I need this huge receiver on my desk just to serve as a speaker amp for the SRD-7/SB. Still, if it saves me money otherwise spent on a direct-drive SRM amp or a smaller speaker power amp, I can put up with it. Gotta start somewhere, and for $250, this is one heck of an entry ticket into the world of electrostatics for the money, one that I didn't think was even possible at that price until recently. (Even if some people already think I'm crazy for daring to spend that much on headphones instead of a new graphics card or something along those lines.)

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #16,245 of 24,807
I'm new to this forum and recently bought a used Stax 2020 basic system. I'm planning to use laptop as my source, through Centrance DACport and connects to the SRM-212 and SR-202. My question is whether the DACport serves as a sufficient source for the Stax or a better source is needed to make Stax sounds good? Any recommendations or I should just spend more on upgrading the Stax system?
I have never own a Stax before that's why I tried to seek advices from the experts here before I spend some stupid money unnecessarily.
Thanks if anyone can help me out please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back