The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #16,216 of 24,807
people should really make specific threads for builds and DIY. It makes the info a lot more accessible to others who want to do the same stax related things. and removes the need to trawl through pages and pages of unrelated posts.
A long time ago, perhaps, mods should've just made people make separate threads (or maybe separate electrostatics subforum) instead of it all (ok not all but a lot of it) ending in the 2x 1000p threads.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #16,217 of 24,807
Oh, I didn't mean that the DIY stuff should be included here, it's just that the build thread for both projects already exists else where, and it would be redundant and harder to track with more threads.

I very much agree, there really should be a subforum for stats and orthos, both topics have 1000 pages that really should be broken into many different threads.

Aug 27, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #16,218 of 24,807
Yeah I am going to make a DIY T2 thread, that's a good idea

For people who have built / are building T2's

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #16,219 of 24,807
Dont forget to include the arcy-sparky high voltage jumpsuits in designer colors
for those like me who indulge in vaporizing the EOL sand in their HV power supplies.
Frontal metalized diffusion to the breast plate is (not) a wonderful thing! YMMV.
The standard "dont do this at home" disclaimer is warranted here too...
ph34r.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #16,220 of 24,807
Yeah I am going to make a DIY T2 thread, that's a good idea

For people who have built / are building T2's

Actually I'm not sure if it's a good idea. There is a reason why the T2 thread was not even posted here. I think it's better to ask Dr Gilmore/Birgir first because after all, this is their own hard work.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #16,221 of 24,807
Do you think they feel territorial about the T2?  They DID make it public, the schematics are freely distributed, there are no copyrights or patents, they are not commercializing the DIY T2, all the construction details are readily available. It seems to me they WANT people to build them, use them, discuss them, share them.... 

AMB doesn't get angry when folks discuss the Beta 22, Alex Cavalli isn't offended when someone starts a Bijou thread....

And this IS a website with forums (fora?) dedicated to the discussion of headphones and headphone amps, after all.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #16,222 of 24,807

Quote:
Actually I'm not sure if it's a good idea. There is a reason why the T2 thread was not even posted here. I think it's better to ask Dr Gilmore/Birgir first because after all, this is their own hard work.

>>There is a reason why the T2 thread was not even posted here.<<

That's what I don't understand. It's not posted HERE but it IS posted on the Internet, it's hardly private or secret.  

But, I removed the thread.  Hate to step on any sensitive toes, even though I thought everyone involved was an adult.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #16,223 of 24,807

Someone asked where I got the transistors,  here's a summary for some of them

2sc3675      qty 30   AudioLab  Georgia  $ 44.89
  2sa1486           34   BD Ent  $ 72.00
  2sk216            8   eBay  $ 23.19
  2sj79            4   eBay  $ 42.50
  2sc3381          12   LittleDiode  $167.00
  2sk246gr            4   eBay  $ 12.00
  2sc3675            4   BD Ent  $ 12.00

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #16,225 of 24,807

Quote:
Do you think they feel territorial about the T2?  They DID make it public, the schematics are freely distributed, there are no copyrights or patents, they are not commercializing the DIY T2, all the construction details are readily available. It seems to me they WANT people to build them, use them, discuss them, share them.... 

AMB doesn't get angry when folks discuss the Beta 22, Alex Cavalli isn't offended when someone starts a Bijou thread....

And this IS a website with forums (fora?) dedicated to the discussion of headphones and headphone amps, after all.

I'm sorry if you felt that we were being territorial. But seriously, these aren't impression threads. It's better to have a central repertoire of information on these builds. It'll be less likely for someone to miss a key piece of information this way, and KG  wouldn't have to answer the same questions a thousand times. Besides, the existing threads already have a wealth of information in it. I fail to see why we need new threads for them. If KG feels like it's better to open a thread here, he will.

Also, better check the construction of the K216/K79. They are very much likely to be fake. You can find the fake vs. genuine pictures from inu's album: here. I believe J79 from audio lab of GA is genuine, hopefully their stock of C3675 is genuine as well.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #16,226 of 24,807

Quote:

[size=11.0pt]Are you sure about no copyrights? [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Power supply is different design from the original T2 PS. The amplifier section has at least a new topology from Dr. Gilmore, not to mention case thermal management (perhaps industrial design?). [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Sure he has released BOM, schematics (perhaps patents over the amplifier section schematic are no longer enforceable) and PCB layouts as companies can do reverse engineering anyway, isn’t it?  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]As far as I am concerned, the original designer and Dr. Gilmore gave permission for[/size] [size=11.0pt]DIY only[/size][size=11.0pt]. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]IMHO, I still think there is some extent of intellectual property protection regarding such amplifier. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]No company is authorized to replicate the innovative part of it without Dr. Gilmore authorization, although very few companies would want to do it. Stax itself won’t do it again. Is there a relevant market for it? [/size]

[size=11.0pt]The serious companies able to do small runs of expensive amplifiers would ask for a license anyway.[/size]

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #16,227 of 24,807
  I'm sorry if you felt that we were being territorial. But seriously, these aren't impression threads. It's better to have a central repertoire of information on these builds. It'll be less likely for someone to miss a key piece of information this way, and KG  wouldn't have to answer the same questions a thousand times. Besides, the existing threads already have a wealth of information in it. I fail to see why we need new threads for them. If KG feels like it's better to open a thread here, he will. 

That pretty much sums up what I thought.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #16,228 of 24,807
Hmm almost all of the transistors are out of stock or have only 1 quantity remaining at bdent.  Does bdent typically restock this stuff or once it's gone, it's gone?

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #16,229 of 24,807

Quote:
Hmm almost all of the transistors are out of stock or have only 1 quantity remaining at bdent.  Does bdent typically restock this stuff or once it's gone, it's gone?

I believe that they are planning to restock 2sc3675 and 2sa1486 at least. I got a call from a sales engineer there asking what the application for those transistors were so he could better stock the appropriate amount of them.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #16,230 of 24,807

Quote:

Someone asked where I got the transistors,  here's a summary for some of them

2sc3675      qty 30   AudioLab  Georgia  $ 44.89
  2sa1486           34   BD Ent  $ 72.00
  2sk216            8   eBay  $ 23.19
  2sj79            4   eBay  $ 42.50
  2sc3381          12   LittleDiode  $167.00
  2sk246gr            4   eBay  $ 12.00
  2sc3675            4   BD Ent  $ 12.00

Oh dear, Little Diode took you to the cleaners on those 2SC3381. Ouch!
Elsewhere, they can be had for <$2ea, unless they too have sold out.
If you bought your ebay sand from a source in Israel, they are most likely fakes.
One type that has caused others grief was the 2SK216.
Read up on it in the T2 thread over there...

What deadlylover said, "test, test, test"!

Please dont feel bad.
Many of us have had to spend extra to fund this pursuit to build the T2.
What is important is to keep the junk parts out of the build.
In the past this has proven to create much grief during the test phase, bringing seasoned engineers to their knees.
I for one do not want to encounter the same problems that others have dealt with in the recent past.
Troubleshooting a complicated build like this is no walk in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back