The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #16,202 of 24,807

Quote:
Lately they have been paying around $600 for their RK50's.
Me thinks that is too much. $180 for a quad DACT is more than enough.

I didn't opt for the RK50 for my KGSSHV, but I'm not a DACT fan, they aren't that great and can be noisy. The Goldpoint SAs are much nicer IMO for not a lot more money. Ultimately I went with the Khozmo quad balanced though, I wanted the extra steps for finer volume adjustment.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #16,203 of 24,807
The Khozmos look really cool.  I'm trying to decide myself about what pots to get for DIYT2/KGSSHVs/Dynahis/KG Blowtorch - that's 8 pots needed.  I'm going to use a RK50 on the T2 and one KGSSHV, will use a couple of KG's digital boards, and unsure about the rest.  DACT and Khozmo both look interesting but I'm afraid the DACT wont have enough steps for me.  Which Khozmo did you get?  SMD or stepped ladder?  Did you get 50KOhm resistance?  One of the z foil steppers by chance?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #16,204 of 24,807
SMD looks cooler and easier to torque the shaft, but it doesn't have the wiring flexibility (wires are pre-soldered on the pot). Stepped ladder, hard to torque, more flexibility (input resistors, switch the standard Dales to PRPs, solder pads). I'm glad that I was broke and settled on the SMD for the T2. Call me a Khozmo fanboy. :xf_eek:

BTW, since you have to build the T2 chassis, chances are that you can make use of KG's digital attenuator for the T2.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #16,207 of 24,807
Quick update on my 2050 system.
It has been serviced because of the hum I was hearing in the left channel. They checked the energiser and found no issues with them. No noise.
They sent it back yesterday and I played a few hours... I still get the noise in the left channel, noticeable after an hour. The seller is happy to offer the refund anyway.

But..there's more going on here: tonight I switched the energiser off, disconnected the plug, but I was still hearing the noise in the headphones. Disconnected the RCA cable, touched the connectors...noise back. Touched the metal chassis of the dac...noise.
Unplugged the dac...noise gone. Touched the iPod on the Onkyo dock, which was plugged into the wall, noise back.
Went to a different room and touched the DVD player...noise back. Touching anything metal plugged into the wall produces a noise in the left channel. I left the headphones for 20-30 mins and touched again the dac, and there was no noise this time.
Weird isn't it?

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #16,208 of 24,807
As some here might remember, I´ve also bought a SRM-323S in addition to the SRM-600 I already have. I still haven´t exactly decided which one I´ll keep, but I´m currently leaning in the direction of selling off the SRM-323S. The SRM-600 to me seems better suited for Lambdas. It sounds more elegant, but to be honest it´s hard to evaluate them as I have them hooked to different sources.

This is a completely shameless plug: I haven´t put up the SRM-323S for sale yet, but if there´s someone in the EU here interested in it, feel free to message me. I´ll most likely end up selling it. It´s a native 230VAC model from an official euro distributor.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #16,209 of 24,807

Quote:
This is a completely shameless plug: I haven´t put up the SRM-323S for sale yet, but if there´s someone in the EU here interested in it, feel free to message me. I´ll most likely end up selling it. It´s a native 230VAC model from an official euro distributor.

PM sent yesterday, but no reply 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #16,210 of 24,807
More parts arriving for my DIY SRM-T2 build.....  I've got all the transistors now; and the "fast diodes" for the power supply; have to get the other diodes now (LEDs, zeners) and start ordering passive parts...transformers are on their way, being wound in Canada....circuit boards on their way....4-gang stepped attenuator on it's way.....had the EL-34's.

Got the aluminum-oxide TO-220 insulators, little ceramic wafers; also got the super-strong plastic M3 screws to bolt the TO-220's down from some aerospace fastener company.  The high voltages these transistors sit at, you can't use regular insulators and some builders had arcing through the insulating washers when they used metal screws, hence the plastic screws. This is the most exotic build I've ever done, I'm having a great time with it.

The biggest challenge is going to be the casework.  I am not using the stuff designed by Kevin Gilmore, it's not really available, I'd have to have it fabbed.  They did a group buy, and Kevin built like 20 sets of the chassis but those were all spoken for a year ago or so, not available to me. So I have to be creative.  Once the boards arrive I will start my design.  I can get good heatsinks cut to size from Par-Metal, but as for the chassis themselves, I'm not sure what to use.... I can modify casework from http://www.thlaudio.com/casebpwrE.htm  or  http://www.thlaudio.com/casebpwrE.htm  maybe if I can get stuff from them that will hold the giant boards in the amp and it's over-the-top regulated power supply.... might have to totally fabricate a chassis, maybe I'll have to break out my TIG welding junk. 

Pretty exciting, to think that I'll be able to finally hear more of what my SR-007's are capable of.  Using them on the SRM-1/mk II is OK but.... not really satisfying.

Anybody out there already have a DIY T-2?  Maybe you can give your impressions, talk about the sound on the various Stax 'phones you've tried it with.......

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #16,211 of 24,807
I'm not game to do a T2, just the KGSSHV. I found the perfect case for the off-board heatsink amp boards, though being Japan it was a bit expensive. I did pick up a small drill press and the bits needed to do the large holes for sockets. Now I just have to push through, get the remaining parts and get it all together. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #16,212 of 24,807

Quote:
More parts arriving for my DIY SRM-T2 build.....  I've got all the transistors now; and the "fast diodes" for the power supply; have to get the other diodes now (LEDs, zeners) and start ordering passive parts...transformers are on their way, being wound in Canada....circuit boards on their way....4-gang stepped attenuator on it's way.....had the EL-34's.

Got the aluminum-oxide TO-220 insulators, little ceramic wafers; also got the super-strong plastic M3 screws to bolt the TO-220's down from some aerospace fastener company.  The high voltages these transistors sit at, you can't use regular insulators and some builders had arcing through the insulating washers when they used metal screws, hence the plastic screws. This is the most exotic build I've ever done, I'm having a great time with it.

The biggest challenge is going to be the casework.  I am not using the stuff designed by Kevin Gilmore, it's not really available, I'd have to have it fabbed.  They did a group buy, and Kevin built like 20 sets of the chassis but those were all spoken for a year ago or so, not available to me. So I have to be creative.  Once the boards arrive I will start my design.  I can get good heatsinks cut to size from Par-Metal, but as for the chassis themselves, I'm not sure what to use.... I can modify casework from http://www.thlaudio.com/casebpwrE.htm  or  http://www.thlaudio.com/casebpwrE.htm  maybe if I can get stuff from them that will hold the giant boards in the amp and it's over-the-top regulated power supply.... might have to totally fabricate a chassis, maybe I'll have to break out my TIG welding junk. 

Pretty exciting, to think that I'll be able to finally hear more of what my SR-007's are capable of.  Using them on the SRM-1/mk II is OK but.... not really satisfying.

Anybody out there already have a DIY T-2?  Maybe you can give your impressions, talk about the sound on the various Stax 'phones you've tried it with.......

Nice!  More details please :)  Which company did you go with for the transformers?  Which attenuator are you using?  Did you order all transistors from bdent?

Regarding the chassis, you should shoot deepak a PM at the other place as I believe there is a better option being worked on. :wink:

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #16,214 of 24,807
Would it be good idea for the ones here participating the KGSSHV or T1 build to start a thread?   (Not try to complain but would like to see more discuss on that here)  I haven't even get my board yet since I haven't had chance to swing back to the other side too often.

Quote:
Canadian Company? Must be SumR. 

Though massively OT, I'd also like to know good places to source C3675 and J79/K216. 
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back