The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #11,236 of 24,807
I've upgraded from a 252A to a T1S and I still get a small amount of humming if I leave my Lambda Pros plugged in and unused for a while. It doesn't bother me, and seems to go away if I use it for a couple minutes. I also have a grounding nub I can tie something on to if I wanted to, I guess...

As for the sound, I love them. The bass is beautiful and perfectly transparent, but the treble is piercing to the point that it can induce headaches in a matter of a couple minutes if they are turned up too loud.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #11,237 of 24,807
fraseyboy. Great to hear that the SR-Lambda Pro have come to use, and you seem to like it. Besides the griefs you had the first day, which seems to have slowly faded away.

Enjoy!
lambda.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #11,239 of 24,807
Energizer -> SRM-xxx. A direct drive unit which hook up between your source and the headphone. Basically an amplifier.
Code:

Code:
[left]Source -> Energizer -> Headphone[/left]

Transformer -> SRD-xxx. An adapter unit which hook up between a regular speaker amplifier and the headphone. Provide bias supply, but no amplification.
Code:

Code:
[left]Source -> Speaker amplifier -> Transformer -> Headphone[/left]

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #11,241 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks. I don't know why then is not called amplifier if that is what it is.

Anything that drives electrostatic headphones has to do more than simply amplify.

All of the Stax line, except the electret transformers, provide a bias signal necessary to drive electrostatic headphones. This is a function that has nothing to do with amplification. So, a different terminology might be useful to distinguish an amplifier which has a bias supply from most other amplifiers, which do not have such a supply, and cannot drive electrostatic headphones. The SRD-7, in addition to passing through a signal from another amplifier, also has a bias supply built in.

OTOH, most people simply use the term "electrostatic amplifier", which only applies to amps that have a bias supply and output a signal appropriate for electrostatic headphones.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11,242 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just saying it's a different product, with a different design. If it were all about the bias voltage, we'd all be hoarding jecklin float electrostatics - because they have everything else beat by a mile in the bias voltage department.

We are conspicuously not great fans of the jecklinstats.

Lies. Jecklin Float Electrostatics FTW. You know you love them Floatsies.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #11,243 of 24,807
I feel odd clicking the "High-end Audio Forum" link after spending only $300, but I received a 2050 Basic system from fellow head-fier kinsale over the weekend.

He said they felt boring to him. Well, he must live a much more interesting life than I do because the last thing I feel when I put these on is bored
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #11,244 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by T9R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel odd clicking the "High-end Audio Forum" link after spending only $300, but I received a 2050 Basic system from fellow head-fier kinsale over the weekend.

He said they felt boring to him. Well, he must live a much more interesting life than I do because the last thing I feel when I put these on is bored
smily_headphones1.gif

Good for you! My advice is to keep those phones I sent you and not audition anything else! Seriously, my problem was that I had the SRX-MK3 to compare them to. Compared to them I found the 2050 system "boring". I should have said too laid back. Boring implies that they are not enjoyable which they certainly are.
Glad you like them!!

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #11,245 of 24,807
Well, I may be in the minority here but I definitely prefer my SR-202 - and all my other Lambdas - (attached to the SRM-212, SRM-1 MKII, SRM-1T, or SRM717) to my SRX-MK3 (on the SRM-1 MKII or SRM-1T). It has better extension in bass as well as highs and better soundstage, too. And it's much more comfortable. The only area I feel the SRX performing somewhat better is the midrange.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #11,246 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I may be in the minority here but I definitely prefer my SR-202 - and all my other Lambdas - (attached to the SRM-212, SRM-1 MKII, SRM-1T, or SRM717) to my SRX-MK3 (on the SRM-1 MKII or SRM-1T). It has better extension in bass as well as highs and better soundstage, too. And it's much more comfortable. The only area I feel the SRX performing somewhat better is the midrange.

I tend to agree. The Lambdas are full range phones and are listenable over a wide range of material. The SRXIII's only really sound good with material with a heavy bass and can be unlistenable on bass light material. I have 2 pairs and consider them interesting, but fundamentally flawed.

The Lambdas vary somewhat among the 10 plus models that are out there and you get a lot of different sonic flavors.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #11,247 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by T9R /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

What's funny to me is that my cheap, second-hand Stax, LNS and SR-5NB cost less than any of my dynamic cans, by a quite a margin, but I like listening with them far more. The amp that makes me enjoy them so much, on the other hand, is not cheap!
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #11,248 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's funny to me is that my cheap, second-hand Stax, LNS and SR-5NB cost less than any of my dynamic cans, by a quite a margin, but I like listening with them far more. The amp that makes me enjoy them so much, on the other hand, is not cheap!
wink.gif

I guess it is preference.
happy_face1.gif

About 2 months ago, I sold my O2mk1 and my SRM717 and thought that I would be as happy with my balanced B22 driving my HD600. Boy, I was wrong! I missed it so much that a couple of weeks ago I bought back another O2mk1 and am now looking for an amp to drive it. When a friend of mine found out that I was looking for the O2mk1 he said to me that once you have tasted electrostatics, it would be easy to miss them. Thinking back made me realise that I had made the wrong move. Ha! But preferring the sound of the electrostatics may be just me and a matter of preference.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #11,249 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happy_face1.gif

About 2 months ago, I sold my O2mk1 and my SRM717 and thought that I would be as happy with my balanced B22 driving my HD600. Boy, I was wrong! I missed it so much that a couple of weeks ago I bought back another O2mk1 and am now looking for an amp to drive it. When a friend of mine found out that I was looking for the O2mk1 he said to me that once you have tasted electrostatics, it would be easy to miss them. Thinking back made me realise that I had made the wrong move. Ha! But preferring the sound of the electrostatics may be just me and a matter of preference.

They say about the mafia, that once you're in, you're in for life.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #11,250 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
happy_face1.gif

Thought you were in line for the BHSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back