The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #11,206 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are conspicuously not great fans of the jecklinstats.

We aren't?
tongue.gif
I thought it was only because they were rather rare.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #11,207 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that statement doesn't make any sense, right? It's like saying that the 230v light bulbs in europe give so much better light than the 115v light bulbs in america.

They might - but it's not the voltage.

I'm just saying it's a different product, with a different design. If it were all about the bias voltage, we'd all be hoarding jecklin float electrostatics - because they have everything else beat by a mile in the bias voltage department.

We are conspicuously not great fans of the jecklinstats.

I quite liked my Jecklin Float Stats when they were working.

I believe that Stax went to high bias designs primarily to get better dynamics and bass. Possibly you can make a fine stat phone with lower bias, but Koss, Stax and I believe Sennheisser too have chosen to go 500 + volts, so I assume there is some technical reason.

I have a low bias Sigma and an SRXIII which I listen to from time to time and I think you get a certain quality from them which is pleasing. For example the low bias Sigma sounds a bit sweeter than the Sigma Pro. However the pro has more oomph. I sometimes wonder what the Sigma low or SRXIII would sound like with the thinner membranes of the newer designs or the lower capacitance cables. One of my SRXIII's had a non-Stax upgraded cable and it is definitely better than the one with the original cable.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #11,208 of 24,807
Just purchased the Stax SR-404 Signature/SRM-006t system from HiFlight. It is my first Stax system, not top of the line I know but I am very excited about. I listened to Stax for the first time at CanJam.
EdStrelow (Thank you ED! although you probably don't remember) was very helpful and patient answering some of my questions. I did listen top the 404's as well as SR-007. Not willing to expend money on the top of the line, but I expect to be happy for a while with this system. After listening to Stax I am not sure I would be happy with dynamics anymore. I also listened to several HD800's including the one with balanced cables at headRoom, but kept going back to the Stax systems. I guess I am hooked!

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #11,209 of 24,807
Spritzer, I appreciate your interest in my electrostatic amp. Your extended discussions of all things electrostatic has been a great help in building this amp. Your comments about the strengths and weaknesses of this type of amp are accurate. Dht amps loose out in accuracy and frequency extension but bring a richness to the midrange that is very seductive. I've built a lot of horn speakers and SET amps, but I'm an electrostic neophyte. I'd really like to see what someone with your expertise could do with a DHT amp. I think and electrostatics and DHTs are a potentially very synergistic combination.

You asked about the smaller kt-88 based amp visable in the photos. You're correct that it was never hooked up. Right before the meet it developed a loud popping noise in one channel. After the meet I traced it to a faulty connection in the input/driver section that was intermitantly grounding. The problem, once found, was easily fixed, but not before it damaged (diaphragm?)
one side my "no warranty" gray market SR-303. Alas, such is the nature of DYI! Next meet, I'll run this amp. It's very similar, but much more practical than its "big brother".

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11,210 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just purchased the Stax SR-404 Signature/SRM-006t system from HiFlight. It is my first Stax system, not top of the line I know but I am very excited about. I listened to Stax for the first time at CanJam.
EdStrelow (Thank you ED! although you probably don't remember) was very helpful and patient answering some of my questions. I did listen top the 404's as well as SR-007. Not willing to expend money on the top of the line, but I expect to be happy for a while with this system. After listening to Stax I am not sure I would be happy with dynamics anymore. I also listened to several HD800's including the one with balanced cables at headRoom, but kept going back to the Stax systems. I guess I am hooked!

Your face looks familiar, did the gf come with you to Canjam?

You have a good system and I am sure you will be happy for quite a while. I am still drafting a review of 3 different Lambdas, the 404, Signature and Nova Classic and to anticipate the results, still prefer the 404 to the others.

At Canjam, while I was able to hear several megabuck tube amps for Stax phones, I didn't get to hear the Stax tube amps. In fact I didn't even see one although there were a few transistor amps. I would be curious to know if tube amplification eases the midrange prominence of these phones.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #11,211 of 24,807
No, girlfriend/wife is not into speakers. She is actually in Russia right now so I am busy buying while she is away! I am glad to hear you think the 404's are OK. Looking forward to receive them soon and to read your review.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #11,212 of 24,807
Still haven't listened to the Lambda's since I'm such a social butterfly.

The instructions that came with the pads aren't very good; should the thick bit be facing the front when they are in the direction of wearing, or the back?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #11,213 of 24,807
The thickest corner should be at the rear bottom (ie that thickest bit should sit behind and below your ears to provide a better seal)

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #11,214 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I tell you, the silclear was not an answer I was expecting, But I am all about giving it a try!! I am also interested in the diy poor mans electrostat amp that is still under construction. What are the Most highly respected amps for the normal bias sr-lambda? A couple come to mind, but I believe they were all over 1k.

Mind that I have never heard the SR-Lambda.
But I found the SRM-007t to be a really nice match for the SR-Lambda Pro, SR-303 and SR-404. Hence would not be surprised if it match up nicely with the SR-Lambda as well.

Should be possible to find one below $1k.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #11,215 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by leaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that WooAudio uses this design in some of their more expensive amps. The transformers I believe works as an electrical lever that magnifies the load impedance presented to the output tubes to better match the output tubes high output impedance and magnifies the output tubes current swings, while it reduces the output tubes' voltage swings and output impedance to better match the headphone's low impedance. I also believe that audionote uses a similar design in their very expensive amps. The quality and type of sound and signal it produces is also much affected by the type of the transformers used.
smile.gif

I do, however, stand corrected. Don't know if you guys agree?

What you are describing is just about every tube amp ever made, at least 99.99% of them. The transformers provide impedance matching while stepping down the voltage/stepping up the current. The rest are OTL or direct drive units which take the output directly off the tubes but often through capacitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, I appreciate your interest in my electrostatic amp. Your extended discussions of all things electrostatic has been a great help in building this amp. Your comments about the strengths and weaknesses of this type of amp are accurate. Dht amps loose out in accuracy and frequency extension but bring a richness to the midrange that is very seductive. I've built a lot of horn speakers and SET amps, but I'm an electrostic neophyte. I'd really like to see what someone with your expertise could do with a DHT amp. I think and electrostatics and DHTs are a potentially very synergistic combination.

Given how transparent electrostatics are then I'm sure SET's will be an ideal match for those that want a richer tone. I'm pretty sure that I won't build the fully fledged mercury vapor/813 amp but the KT88 unit would be a fun project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You asked about the smaller kt-88 based amp visable in the photos. You're correct that it was never hooked up. Right before the meet it developed a loud popping noise in one channel. After the meet I traced it to a faulty connection in the input/driver section that was intermitantly grounding. The problem, once found, was easily fixed, but not before it damaged (diaphragm?)
one side my "no warranty" gray market SR-303. Alas, such is the nature of DYI! Next meet, I'll run this amp. It's very similar, but much more practical than its "big brother".

That's sad but also the reason why we have "burner" headphones. I use an old Lambda Pro and also the SR-003 which is very sensitive so can pick up hum easily. They will show any bias issues on the spot. The SR-007 on the other hand can stand up to a lot of abuse and they never complain, even at 800v bias.
tongue.gif

As for the the SR-303's, all hope many not be lost. If they are less then a year old then they will be under warranty even if it is only valid in Japan. It would be worth a shot to see if company you bought them from would be willing to handle sending them back for you.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #11,216 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind that I have never heard the SR-Lambda.
But I found the SRM-007t to be a really nice match for the SR-Lambda Pro, SR-303 and SR-404. Hence would not be surprised if it match up nicely with the SR-Lambda as well.

Should be possible to find one below $1k.

The SRM-007t and SR-Lambda do make a very nice combo. I would suggest saving up for a Woo GES if you want the very best from the SR-Lambda. If those are not accessible to you there are many normal bias SRD adaptors that are just begging to be connected to a great speaker amp.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #11,218 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-Lambda is superb with the T1S, my favourite headphone so far (at least with the T1S), pity I need to give it back to the owner soon
frown.gif

That's 2 votes for the original Lambda today. (The other is in my Lambda comparison thread) It makes you wonder why Stax even made the Lambda pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back