The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #11,191 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the design is finished and proven, I'll post it in the DIY forum.

That is really awesome news! It may not have been $15k, but it looks the part. Where do I go to subscribe to your journal?
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #11,192 of 24,807
Yay! Lambda Pro's tomorrow!

Will be sure to post a comparison with the Gamma Pro's then, if I'm in a good mood, I'll ship them off to you, Webbie
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #11,193 of 24,807
Quote:

I'm the builder of the big DIY transmitting tube electrostatic amp that was exhibited at CanJam. Earlier in this thread there was speculation that this amp would cost $15,000. The actual construction costs were about $1,500. About $300.00 of that was in the fancy chassis materials. As much as possible, this amp was built with common "off the shelf", used,recycled, or surplus components. The sole exception being the custom Electra-Print output transformers, which ran about $350.00 for the pair. I could never afford the $5k for a top ranked electrostatic amp. This isn't a $5k amp, but it's not embarressed by one either. I'd like to encourage other DIYers to "push the envelope", and would be happy to answer questions or discuss the design. I've had a lot of positive comments. Thanks to all. It's very encouraging. The final design of this amp is still in flux. There is also a much more "sane" kt88 based little brother in progress. When the design is finished and proven, I'll post it in the DIY forum.

I'll look forward to the schematic, Frank. A transformer coupled SET is certainly a different take on what we are normally doing and I'm sure many would love the sound compared to the often too honest DC-coupled amps. I will certainly build one after I've done with my own backlog of amps and drawn up the PCB's I need to design.

One question though, did you ever fire up the smaller KT88 amp at Can Jam? In all the pictures it just sits there unused...

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #11,194 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Silclear on the phone pins. Actually put it on all contacts, plugs,IC's etc. It will boost the bass and generally smooth out the sound. It's about $30.00 for a lifetime supply from Mapleshade. This stuff really works for me. Send me a pm and an SSA envelope and I'll shoot you a sample.

I also used silclear and it was wonderful. Removed the graininess in the music and found that the voulme went up by 1 level. Perhaps you could try out different interconnect and power cables as well. But, beware, cables can be a "slippery" road.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #11,195 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by leaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking for SRD 7 pro or mk 2 for a while and 2 came up for sale in audiogon yesterday. Guess what, both have already been sold. It pains me to see that it was so close yet so far.
frown.gif

..and one sold in the FS forum this weekend. Just to rub it in...
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/so...-7-pro-429135/

Quote:

<snip>When the design is finished and proven, I'll post it in the DIY forum.

That is what we like to hear!
biggrin.gif

Your amplifier looks really nice, and it s really nice to see that it is not a $15k unit.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #11,196 of 24,807
Quote:

I'm the builder of the big DIY transmitting tube electrostatic amp that was exhibited at CanJam. Earlier in this thread there was speculation that this amp would cost $15,000. The actual construction costs were about $1,500. About $300.00 of that was in the fancy chassis materials. As much as possible, this amp was built with common "off the shelf", used,recycled, or surplus components. The sole exception being the custom Electra-Print output transformers, which ran about $350.00 for the pair. I could never afford the $5k for a top ranked electrostatic amp. This isn't a $5k amp, but it's not embarressed by one either. I'd like to encourage other DIYers to "push the envelope", and would be happy to answer questions or discuss the design. I've had a lot of positive comments. Thanks to all. It's very encouraging. The final design of this amp is still in flux. There is also a much more "sane" kt88 based little brother in progress. When the design is finished and proven, I'll post it in the DIY forum.

Cheers Frank.... Agreed... your amp was not embarrassed by any amp at the show. And I think that your design and implementation of the Electrostatic is very good. What I really like is your creativity in using what you have available to make your amps. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #11,197 of 24,807
Quote:

I also used silclear and it was wonderful. Removed the graininess in the music and found that the voulme went up by 1 level. Perhaps you could try out different interconnect and power cables as well. But, beware, cables can be a "slippery" road.

I am glad to get another person to agree about this stuff. It does a lot of good and if you are reluctant to try such "voodoo" it's so cheap that it's no big deal if doesn't work for you.

Your comment about the volume change is right on. I recently obtained a second Stax SRM1Mk2 amp and put it next to my prior Mk2. When I first turned it on I though "Oh crap" it doesn't play the same volume. It was at least one volume level down from the earlier amp. After I Silcleared the pins, IC's and power cord it was exactly the same as the other amp which had previously been treated.

Now any time you can bump the power up in any system you are doing something significant and almost certainly going to improve performance.

I also find it good for the type of etch that bedevils some Lambdas. I can't quite decide though whether it helps because it raises the bass output or actually filters some treble. It clearly does raise the bass and I suspect that is what give most of the apparent eduction in etch.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #11,198 of 24,807
well, I tell you, the silclear was not an answer I was expecting, But I am all about giving it a try!! I am also interested in the diy poor mans electrostat amp that is still under construction. What are the Most highly respected amps for the normal bias sr-lambda? A couple come to mind, but I believe they were all over 1k.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #11,199 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I tell you, the silclear was not an answer I was expecting, But I am all about giving it a try!! I am also interested in the diy poor mans electrostat amp that is still under construction. What are the Most highly respected amps for the normal bias sr-lambda? A couple come to mind, but I believe they were all over 1k.

I am not sure if there were many amps built solely for the low bias phones other than the very early ones which I believe were lower bias than than what was finally settled on by Stax for their low bias phones.

Among the more recent crop is the SRA12S pre-amp/headphone amp which sometimes comes up for sale. It is solely low bias and can sound pretty good with a few modest tweaks. Its specs show that it has more voltage swing than many later Stax amps, in fact the same as the SRM1Mk2. That latter amp is an even better choice as it has both high and low bias sockets. Sooner or later you will go "high."

There are a number of other more recent tube and transistor Stax amps that have high and low bias sockets, most of which I have not heard but none of which I believe will give you the voltage swing of the SRA12S or SRM1Mk2. It seems that most recent Stax amps have dropped the low bias socket.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #11,200 of 24,807
Quote:

I am not sure if there were many amps built solely for the low bias phones other than the very early ones which I believe were lower bias than than what was finally settled on by Stax for their low bias phones.

Among the more recent crop is the SRA12S pre-amp/headphone amp which sometimes comes up for sale. It is solely low bias and can sound pretty good with a few modest tweaks. Its specs show that it has more voltage swing than many later Stax amps, in fact the same as the SRM1Mk2. That latter amp is an even better choice as it has both high and low bias sockets. Sooner or later you will go "high."

There are a number of other more recent tube and transistor Stax amps that have high and low bias sockets, most of which I have not heard but none of which I believe will give you the voltage swing of the SRA12S or SRM1Mk2. It seems that most recent Stax amps have dropped the low bias socket.

Because I decided to go with a vintage stax setup, I know that my options are limited to older used equipment, or some of the newer diy's that are being set up for normal bias. I was actually looking for the srm1mk2, but its out of my price range right now. I wish there were more people in the area I could check out stax gear with, but it just aint in the cards.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #11,201 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll look forward to the schematic, Frank. A transformer coupled SET is certainly a different take on what we are normally doing and I'm sure many would love the sound compared to the often too honest DC-coupled amps. ...

I believe that WooAudio uses this design in some of their more expensive amps. The transformers I believe works as an electrical lever that magnifies the load impedance presented to the output tubes to better match the output tubes high output impedance and magnifies the output tubes current swings, while it reduces the output tubes' voltage swings and output impedance to better match the headphone's low impedance. I also believe that audionote uses a similar design in their very expensive amps. The quality and type of sound and signal it produces is also much affected by the type of the transformers used.
smile.gif

I do, however, stand corrected. Don't know if you guys agree?

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #11,202 of 24,807
Quote:

Sooner or later you will go "high."

I beleive so too!!!
devil_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I decided to go with a vintage stax setup

For me, there is a mark improvement in the music enjoyment going from normal to high bias.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #11,203 of 24,807
Quote:

I beleive so too!!!
devil_face.gif

For me, there is a mark improvement in the music enjoyment going from normal to high bias.

You know that statement doesn't make any sense, right? It's like saying that the 230v light bulbs in europe give so much better light than the 115v light bulbs in america.

They might - but it's not the voltage.

I'm just saying it's a different product, with a different design. If it were all about the bias voltage, we'd all be hoarding jecklin float electrostatics - because they have everything else beat by a mile in the bias voltage department.

We are conspicuously not great fans of the jecklinstats.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #11,204 of 24,807
I was taking a look under the hood and saw there are ajustments for offset
and balance. Is there a procedure to check offset and adjust for this energizer?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #11,205 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! Lambda Pro's tomorrow!

Will be sure to post a comparison with the Gamma Pro's then, if I'm in a good mood, I'll ship them off to you, Webbie
biggrin.gif

Sounds promising but I'm far more interested in your impressions of your much anticipated Lambda Pro's.

Hope you're enjoying them as I write this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back