The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #10,637 of 24,807
I wish I had $6k for a BHSE, but I'm not dissatisfied with the O2/007t combo at the moment. I bought some Herbies microsonic tube dampers and they made significant difference, most noticeably boosting the bass, so I don't feel so much that I need to plug in the LNS to get some punch now.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10,638 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some Herbies microsonic tube dampers and they made significant difference, most noticeably boosting the bass

Interesting. I also bought 6 tube dampers from Herbie for my amp but I didn't hear even the smallest difference.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #10,640 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopalong243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you
Are you 100% shure?
The seller are 100% shure that it is a signature.
Can i find out this of the seriesnr?
can the brown parts be replaced?
it shall use the pro only output.
Havent got them yet so..

Yes, I am 100% sure. The the SR-Lambda Signature is brown, while your pair both look and are referred to as black. Hence its either a SR-Lambda or SR-Lambda Pro

The brown parts can be replaced, but then all external parts need to be replaced (cable, housing, earpads and headband). Very unlikely.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #10,641 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am 100% sure. The the SR-Lambda Signature is brown, while your pair both look and are referred to as black. Hence its either a SR-Lambda or SR-Lambda Pro

The brown parts can be replaced, but then all external parts need to be replaced (cable, housing, earpads and headband). Very unlikely.

OK
No matter what it is,i am going to buy this ( havent recieved it yet)
What is the sound diffrences between signature/pro and SR lambda?

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #10,642 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopalong, those don't look like Lambda Signatures.

Lambda Signatures:
  • Have "Signature" on the top of each earpeaker
  • Have a 5-pin gold plated plug
  • Have a brown cord
  • Aren't all black
Also, SRM-007t, SRM-T1, and SRM-T1S are said to be good tube amps for Lambda model earpseakers.

You can also add the T1W to the list. I would stay away from the 006t. It has a little upper midrange brightness that doesn’t work well with the Lambda's. The description of the Sig is absolutely corrrect.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #10,643 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Lambda Pro is High Bias and has a 5 pin plug. The SR-Lambda is Low Bias and has a 6 pin plug. They are both great phones. The SR-Lambda has the most even response of all the series. The Lambda Pro is more distant in the midrange but is more dynamic and deeper in the bass.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #10,645 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsawdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you folks are thinking about the 001 vs 003, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this strategy to get limited portability: buy the SRS-005 and then try to pick up a used SRM-X pro. I know it wouldn't have the super portability of the SRS001 system but would it sound better? The question is about sound quality, not degree of portability or length of run time on battery.
Also, has anyone tried powering the SRM-252 or the SRM-X pro from a car's cigar lighter socket? Any distortion?
George
Yes, I'm aware that this can be a slippery slope.....

I have the 003's which I run from various amps including the big 717 and I can't say that I am blown over by the increase in quality over the SR001 system which in my system sounds pretty good with the simple upgrade of a silver IC between the amp and portable cd. Also small Sorbethan footers on the cd player help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and the Lambda Signature is the resolution king but they have to used with a powerful amp to keep the upper midrange etch in check. Also their tone is slightly different to the SR-Lambda/L-Pro's due to the lack of damping.

I have a Lambda Sig coming in the mail soon and hope its as good as many people say. I expect to run it from an SRM1Mk2. If it's better than a Lambda Nova Classic, the Nova will be sold. If it's not as good as the 404 the Sig will be sold.

On a different note, I just came back from a weekend in LA to see Die Walkure. A very interesting but strange opera production, the LA Opera's first Walkure and part of its first Ring cycle. I saw Das Rheingold about a month back. Siegfried and Gotterdamerung are coming next year. It is unfortunately a director-driven production by the German director Achim Freyer. I would describe it as postmodern staging with some Geman Expressionism.

My wife described it as "Wagner on peyote." Some good ideas but the Valkyrie warrior maidens on bicycles rather than horses?

b78482078z120090405114858000gaph9rbp1_lg.jpg

EDIT - Oh! Ring Cycle, now I get it!

We had good loge (first balcony, center) seats which in my opinion are best for opera because the opera orchestra is in pit and if you are on the ground floor you will get no direct sound from the orchestra. In the loge seats you get a good balance of orchestra and vocal sound.

So as always when I go to a live performance I try to compare the experience with recorded sound. Generaly I would say it is a split as which is better sonically. Certainly for full volume climaxes, you cannot beat live sound. And anyone who thinks their cost-be-damned system can match the live sound of a an 80 piece orchestra, 60 voice choir and a half dozen operatic soloists at full tilt would have to convince me that they regularly attend large-scale, unamplified performances of such material and pay for the good seats. There is just no way a playback can match live sound even with a megabuck system since the recording itself will be a weak link.

HOWEVER, for most of the rest of the experience, a good playback system such as the Stax 007/404/Sigma/404 is clearly better. For a start there is the issue of background noise. Aside from audience noise, which comes and goes ( it can be quite impressive to see/hear the 3,000 plus persons at the LA Chandler Hall become pin-drop silent in crtical moments), the noise from the airconditioners needed to keep those 3000 people cool and awake during a 5 hour Wagner experience, is more than any serious headphone listener would tolerate. And then there are deadspots on the stage. Brunhilde at stage rear was somewhat muffled. Although mostly at the Chandler the singers stay mid to front stage, which works pretty well.

Of course no audio-only recording can carry the dramatic impact of a comparably well-performed stage production or even a well-recorded dvd. In the old days I preferred opera recordings because they allowed me to read the translations as I listened. Now surtitle translations (above the stage) are standard and very effective. Based on recordings, I had previously felt that Wagner was a great orchestrator but anabysmal dramatist (he did his own books). However, even with the rather bizarre LA production, I was left impressed by the effectiveness of the drama in both Rheingold and Walkure.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #10,646 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Lambda Sig coming in the mail soon and hope its as good as many people say. I expect to run it from an SRM1Mk2. If it's better than a Lambda Nova Classic, the Nova will be sold. If it's not as good as the 404 the Sig will be sold.

All I have to compare mine to is the Lambda Pro, but aside from the bass not being as strong, I've come around to it in a big way. At first I didn't like it as much, but after upgrading my source (still not high end or anything, but thank god!), a tube roll and some more listening, I keep coming back for the midrange. I can't imagine getting rid of these. Enjoy!

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #10,648 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by veloaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax newbie question: Any comments on how the 404LE might sound with the Woo GES?

I have heard Lambda Pros, Lambda Sigs, and 303s out of the GES and I have enjoyed them all very much. I would think the 404LE would be a nice match.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #10,649 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course no audio-only recording can carry the dramatic impact of a comparably well-performed stage production or even a well-recorded dvd. In the old days I preferred opera recordings because they allowed me to read the translations as I listened. Now surtitle translations (above the stage) are standard and very effective. Based on recordings, I had previously felt that Wagner was a great orchestrator but abysmal dramatist (he did his own books). However, even with the rather bizarre LA production I was left impressed by the effectiveness of the drama in both Rheingold and Walkure.

I've pretty much given up on audio-only recordings of opera. I hate trying to synchronize a hand held libretto with the singing. I love DVDs of opera and continue to collect them. Opera is drama and unless I know what is being sung, the singing is rarely effective for me. I would never go to opera before supertitles.

My first live Wagner was a production of Siegfried (about 20 years ago in San Francisco). I was dragged kicking and screaming, thinking of Siegfried as the least interesting of the Ring, and since I was overly tired, expecting to fall asleep. I was in a seat similar to the one you describe and I could easily see the stage, the titles and the conductor. It was riveting, a universe of theatre and music. God knows there are some slow parts, and occasionally my attention shifted to Edo de Waart and the band. I was never bored and remembered getting more and more awake as the opera progressed.

I frequently watch an opera DVD by myself, and wonderful as it sometimes is, it cannot match the excitement of being in the audience and the feeling of camraderie that live theatre brings or the thrill of participating in a brilliant performance. That said, I remember the first time I heard Solti's Reingold.....

I envy you your live opera!

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #10,650 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first live Wagner was a production of Siegfried (about 20 years ago in San Francisco). I was dragged kicking and screaming, thinking of Siegfried as the least interesting of the Ring, and since I was overly tired, expecting to fall asleep. I was in a seat similar to the one you describe and I could easily see the stage, the titles and the conductor. It was riveting, a universe of theatre and music. God knows there are some slow parts, and occasionally my attention shifted to Edo de Waart and the band. I was never bored and remembered getting more and more awake as the opera progressed.

I frequently watch an opera DVD by myself, and wonderful as it sometimes is, it cannot match the excitement of being in the audience and the feeling of camraderie that live theatre brings or the thrill of participating in a brilliant performance. That said, I remember the first time I heard Solti's Reingold.....

I envy you your live opera!

I was quite surprised at how much the audience seemed to be following the story of Walkure. This was after all a 5 hour performance. Even I dozed a bit in the first act. I had had a big meal in LA's Chinatown shortly before the opera and I nearly always nap after a meal, preferably with headphones on .

You know what they say about mixing German music with Chinese food, it''s filling at first but soon leaves you hungry for power.

The old joke about Wagner is that the music is better than it sounds.

For this performance, I was left realizing that Wagner's stories are better than they read. I guess the somewhat wacky production did actually work.

The Solti Rheingold was the first good stereo recording of a Ring opera and I doubt it has been bettered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back