The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #10,621 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by veloaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my wallet may be in trouble now
o2smile.gif

Lol, you haven't just been told that the O2/007t rig you've borrowed has to be given back soon.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found an interesting ebay auction for "TEN NOS RCA CLEAR TOP 6FQ7/6CG7 PRE AMP TUBE". Would these be worth getting for a 007t as spares?

Just bumping this question in case knowledgeable people missed it.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #10,622 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're having roughly the same experience today.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just got my own little SRS-005 rig hooked up and it sounds ridiculously good. I intially thought comfort might be a deal-breaker, but changing to the larger ear pads and getting the angles right has taken care of that.

Don't want to say "I told you so..." but I did
wink.gif

How are you wearing it? I generally wear it on the headband, large pads, headphones not shoved into the ears but resting just outside of the ear canals with the headband providing clamping force to keep them in place. But, fit really is anatomy-dependent and this won't give the best results for everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veloaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
Ridiculously good is right. It took me a little while to get the fit right as well (I only have one size ear pad) but everything is okay now. Time will tell how I do on a long listening session. The SR-003 is very impressive. Anyone want to loan me a O2 / 007t system so I can compare?
biggrin.gif

02/717 here but the 003 does have some similarities. It's closer to the O2 Mk1 sound in terms of sound signature than anything else in the current Stax lineup (the O2 Mk2 diverges from that sound signature though and is closer to the SR-404 in some ways).

The midrange tone is somewhat similar, both headphones have a weighty, impactful sound, and both headphones present detail in a very unobtrusive, refined manner. The detail is all there, and with the O2 specifically resolution is higher than any other headphone I've ever heard, but it's not presented on a silver platter and it takes a back seat to the overall feel and flow of the music. The 003 isn't quite as detailed but it's still very very detailed and the relaxed and musical presentation of detail is the same.

Still, the O2 is on a completely different level in terms of refinement, and its refinement is uniform across all frequencies. It's a lot more fluid, much more airy, has limitless extension top and bottom, even more weight and tactile impact, the best imaging I've heard in a headphone with a very focused and completely 3-dimensional soundstage, is nearly perfectly balanced, and in general is one heck of a lot more transparent. But, it's also more laid-back and polite, at times too polite with some sources, though it can also sound forward when you have a forward source. It's a pig to drive obviously, and it will sound dark with loose, wooly bass, recessed highs, and insufficient dynamic range when it's underdriven. The 007t is inadequate though a nice amp for easier-to-drive phones, and the 717 is basically the bare minimum, unless you have a good speaker amp and can get your hands on a pro-bias transformer. But you really do need a Blue Hawaii or that new Woo amp that should hopefully have the juice to drive the O2 (the current GES is too weak, though also a great amp for less demanding phones). You will also need a source that can handle the most detailed headphone ever made, so you can simply guess how good that source has to be.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #10,623 of 24,807
Hi
I`ve just bought a pair of Stax SR lambda signature and a SRD-X proffesionell unit. and i got some questions:
1. The signature i`ve bought is black and not brown.
can this be a regular lamda and not signature model?
(seriesnr : Lamda 30392 )
and it says signature on the package
lamdasignature.jpg

2. What models of the tube drivers suit this headphone?
here are the SRD-X
Staxsrd-x.jpg

Sorry for my bad english

Regards Hopalong 243

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #10,625 of 24,807
stax.jpg
[/IMG]

Another trip through the American west with the portable Stax SR001k2 and portable cd player. This day the weather was fine in Monument Valley Arizona but mostly we were forced by bad weather to give up camping for motels.

Travelling with the Baby Stax allows some semblance of high-fi during one's travels. If it was all I had I guess I could survive.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #10,626 of 24,807
hopalong243. First of all, welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Those certainly are not SR-Lambda Signature's as those are dark brown. So the seller have matched the wrong 'phones with the box. The SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Pro are black though.

In either case, they are all great headphones. Enjoy!

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10,627 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another trip through the American west with the portable Stax SR001k2 and portable cd player. This day the weather was fine in Monument Valley Arizona but mostly we were forced by bad weather to give up camping for motels.

Travelling with the Baby Stax allows some semblance of high-fi during one's travels. If it was all I had I guess I could survive.

Wait until you try a modded SR-001, which sounds more like an SR-003 off an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro. Much better extension at both ends and less hump in the middle, with a better sense of ambience and space and detail.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #10,629 of 24,807
I can't see any way to mod the SR-001/003 unless you want to come up with something which is actually worse (like some of the professional "mods" out there). The drivers are specially designed for that particular role (i.e. to fire through a port) and will sound odd without the right air impedance. The housing also secures the drivers in place and they would just fall apart without it.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #10,630 of 24,807
i wasnt thinking of changing the basic design, i was thinking more in the lines of improving fit/comfort by changing the design of the ports, and maybe making a custom housing from "better" (or at least better looking) materials then plastic.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #10,631 of 24,807
Change the port, change the sound. The drivers are very strange as just the part which is open at the back is perforated (the stators are etched copper) so most of the stator area is closed.

The housing isn't that bad despite being made of cheap plastic. It's small so very strong and ultimately anchored inside the head. The 001/003's main problem is driving them properly. They sing from a BH and reproduce vocals better then all other headphones bar the Omegas.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #10,632 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopalong243. First of all, welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Those certainly are not SR-Lambda Signature's as those are dark brown. So the seller have matched the wrong 'phones with the box. The SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Pro are black though.

In either case, they are all great headphones. Enjoy!

Thank you
Are you 100% shure?
The seller are 100% shure that it is a signature.
Can i find out this of the seriesnr?
can the brown parts be replaced?
it shall use the pro only output.
Havent got them yet so..

What models of the Stax tube drivers suit this headphone?

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #10,633 of 24,807
Since you folks are thinking about the 001 vs 003, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this strategy to get limited portability: buy the SRS-005 and then try to pick up a used SRM-X pro. I know it wouldn't have the super portability of the SRS001 system but would it sound better? The question is about sound quality, not degree of portability or length of run time on battery.
Also, has anyone tried powering the SRM-252 or the SRM-X pro from a car's cigar lighter socket? Any distortion?
George
Yes, I'm aware that this can be a slippery slope.....

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #10,634 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopalong243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you
Are you 100% shure?

Yes, the SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Professional are black. There is a new SR-404 Limited edition that is black but it's not likely that you scored one.

The seller may just be reading the box. You can look at the top of the earspeaker housings and they will say Signature (for the SR-Lambda Signature), professional (SR-Lambda Professional), or just be blank (SR-Lambda)

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10,635 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopalong243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you
Are you 100% shure?
it shall use the pro only output.
Havent got them yet so..

What models of the Stax tube drivers suit this headphone?

hopalong, those don't look like Lambda Signatures.

Lambda Signatures:
  • Have "Signature" on the top of each earpeaker
  • Have a 5-pin gold plated plug
  • Have a brown cord
  • Aren't all black
Also, SRM-007t, SRM-T1, and SRM-T1S are said to be good tube amps for Lambda model earpseakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back