The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #10,606 of 24,807
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #10,607 of 24,807
Yay! According to the track and trace, my Lambda Pro's are in New Zealand!
biggrin.gif

Gonna be a while before I need this advice, but I thought I'd ask now anyway.

Would it be better to go:

DAC > Driver Unit > Headphones

or

DAC > Tube Amp > Driver Unit > Headphones?

How much of an impact on the sound would the addition of a tube amp (Little Dot MK II) have?

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #10,608 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Gonna be a while before I need this advice, but I thought I'd ask now anyway.

or

How much of an impact on the sound would the addition of a tube amp (Little Dot MK II) have?

It better be able to power speakers to power your driver unit. An amp is required. (parts express sells a sonic impact amp for $70)

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #10,609 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It better be able to power speakers to power your driver unit. An amp is required. (parts express sells a sonic impact amp for $70)

Oh I thought that was only required for the energizers... I have a speaker amp already.

So would it be Speaker Amp > Driver Unit > Headphones?

In that case, would the addition of a tube amp in between the speaker amp and the driver unit make much of a difference?

Also, is there any way to work my DAC into this... It only has digital inputs.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #10,610 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh I thought that was only required for the energizers... I have a speaker amp already.

In that case, would the addition of a tube amp in between the speaker amp and the driver unit make much of a difference?

I'm guessing that your speaker amp is a solid state integrated amp, stereo receiver, or Audio/Video receiver, is this correct?

The Creative soundcards usually have a multi-jack for digital output.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #10,611 of 24,807
Quote:

I thought the driver unit was your energizer.. sorry! I probably wouldn't add any more amplifiers into the chain, it will probably only add to distortion. DAC couldn't hurt.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #10,612 of 24,807
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Great to hear that its closing in!
lambda.gif

Don't seem like you so far have anything to drive it with though. So no fun just quite yet.

Which lead me to... Quote:

or

You basically have two options:
1. DAC -> Speaker amplifier (tube or SS) -> Transformer (ex. Stax SRD-7 Pro) -> Headphone.
2. DAC -> Energizer (ex. Stax SRM-1/MK2 Pro) -> Headphone.

The Little Dot MKII don't fit in anywhere in that line. So just keep it for your moving-coil headphone(s).

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #10,613 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Little Dot MKII don't fit in anywhere in that line. So just keep it for your moving-coil headphone(s).

Some of us have fed an SRD-X with a tubed headphone amp, but that's just because the SRD-X sounds dry and lifeless otherwise.

One of these days I'll finish my class-T SRD-X conversion.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #10,614 of 24,807
Anyone know how to open up a 252 amp? There is one screw on the bottom that is visible. Are there any under the feet?

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #10,616 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a while but there are now screws underneath the feet. There are screws on the bottom and then you pull the shell off the amp by pulling it backwards.

Thanks, that's what I figured but since the feet are glued on I wanted to ask.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #10,617 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear that its closing in!
lambda.gif

Don't seem like you so far have anything to drive it with though. So no fun just quite yet.

Which lead me to...
You basically have two options:
1. DAC -> Speaker amplifier (tube or SS) -> Transformer (ex. Stax SRD-7 Pro) -> Headphone.
2. DAC -> Energizer (ex. Stax SRM-1/MK2 Pro) -> Headphone.

Ah ok. So I'll try to get an SRM-1/MK2 Pro over an SRD-7 Pro if possible. Means less wires.

Yeah, I'm still nowhere near driving them. I won't be getting them till June anyway (birthday) so there's plenty of time
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #10,618 of 24,807
Wel I finally got my SRS-005ii system up and running. First thing I listened to was 'Bach: Oster-Oratorium' [Harmonia Mundi] and I can't believe how amazing these little SR-003 sound! There were some passage where my W3000 would distort in the upper frequencies not so with the SR-003. Vocals are much more crisp.

So my setup is this:

Macbook -> Isabellina -> SRM-252a -> SR-003

Only con so far is I hear much more noticeable hum when music isn't playing in between songs. I can't hear it while the music is playing though.

I think my wallet may be in trouble now
o2smile.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #10,619 of 24,807
We're having roughly the same experience today.
smily_headphones1.gif

3471187345_962b6903f5.jpg

Just got my own little SRS-005 rig hooked up and it sounds ridiculously good. I intially thought comfort might be a deal-breaker, but changing to the larger ear pads and getting the angles right has taken care of that.

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #10,620 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're having roughly the same experience today.
smily_headphones1.gif

3471187345_962b6903f5.jpg

Just got my own little SRS-005 rig hooked up and it sounds ridiculously good. I intially thought comfort might be a deal-breaker, but changing to the larger ear pads and getting the angles right has taken care of that.

beerchug.gif
Ridiculously good is right. It took me a little while to get the fit right as well (I only have one size ear pad) but everything is okay now. Time will tell how I do on a long listening session. The SR-003 is very impressive. Anyone want to loan me a O2 / 007t system so I can compare?
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back