The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #10,666 of 24,807
@manaox2, I should have made it clearer, my bad. The two are not mutually exclusive. Sorry if I gave you that impression. I was not saying the Signature's bass is horrible or boomy/bloated. I never said that they were a fault nor were they horrendous. Far from it.

I was just saying that I don't mind if there was added texture and definition in the bass region if it means I will have to sacrifice a little quantity in the process, that's all. I am saying the Signature is good enough for me and I'm plenty happy with the bass, there is enough awesomeness going on there that if I had to give up some of it I would still be happy. That is what I was trying to say.
wink.gif

Allow me to rephrase:

Textured, clean bass over BOOM BOOM BOOM any day... well "most days" anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the..? And the Mafia didn't kick you out yet? Isn't there supposed to be a hierarchy? Didn't Spritzer set the O2Mk1 at the top and everything else follows?

Oh noes Baby E. far from that, the mafia approves instead.
ph34r.gif

Its 2am now, I'm tired so I'll email you about it tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Do you mean that I wasn't really having fun listening to Rihanna - Umbrella (Remixes) with the O2Mk2?
Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore, I got sick of the song after play count 40+.
redface.gif

Nope. You were NOT having fun there. You were trying. You tried 40+ times.
tongue.gif

Umbrella...ella ella ella... *shudders*...
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Damn, I checked my library and I saw Jessica Simpson followed by Jessy J.
redface.gif
I can't help it, I have bad taste in music.
frown.gif

Jessica Simpson ain't thaaaaat bad. I enjoy "Public Affair" just as much as you do.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #10,667 of 24,807
Quote:

Do you mean that I wasn't really having fun listening to Rihanna - Umbrella (Remixes) with the O2Mk2?

Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore, I got sick of the song after play count 40+.
redface.gif

Damn, I checked my library and I saw Jessica Simpson followed by Jessy J.
redface.gif
I can't help it, I have bad taste in music.
frown.gif

Oh my. I laughed a lot.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #10,668 of 24,807
Quote:

What the..? And the Mafia didn't kick you out yet? Isn't there supposed to be a hierarchy? Didn't Spritzer set the O2Mk1 at the top and everything else follows?

Everything else does follow but that doesn't mean it can't be fun too.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

redface.gif

Funny, I heard about 30 seconds of that song once and threw up a bit...
redface.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #10,670 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that Lambda-pro/SRM1mK2 set on 3bay is currently at $750 and the auction is not over yet!
eek.gif

is that a push/pull model?

It's odd. I don't recall a recent Stax FOTM; the economy is down; new high-profile dynamic headphones are being released soon - yet Stax prices on eBay have been on the rise lately. Then again, if the seller's description is accurate, that set should be in excellent condition.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #10,672 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard Lambda Pros, Lambda Sigs, and 303s out of the GES and I have enjoyed them all very much. I would think the 404LE would be a nice match.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide between the following (budget limited):

Woo GES (w/ DACT & 12BZ7 Tube upgrade) + 404LE

-or-

O2 mk1 + 717

Problem is I've heard the O2 with GES and I liked it. I have not listened to the 404 before but it sounds like they might be the right fit because of my music taste which of late has been bluegrass, folk, classic rock, Norah Jones and classical.

I need some Stax therapy...

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #10,673 of 24,807
Wow, that's a pretty tough call. Let's get the easy part out of the way first: get the O2 mk1; you'll just end up there anyway. And while I love the Lambda, the O2 is in a different league--one that I don't expect the 404LE to approach. As for the amp, I think there are several here who would recommend the 717. However, I think the GES may be the way to go. My only real complaint about the GES is that I think it is just a bit underpowered for the O2 mk1. But it still gets it right, to my ears. Also, the GES will sound great with a pair of Lambda Pros should you decide to get one at a decent price.

Finally, I would advise against the stepper. 24 steps just aren't enough.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #10,674 of 24,807
O2 Mk1 is much better than the SR-404. I had the 404 for two years and eventually started hating it because of its massive upper midrange emphasis. It turned me off electrostatics in general for about a year, and it wasn't until the O2 Mk1 that I really got back into 'stats. So I wouldn't recommend the 404 unless you've heard it and you're fine with its particular coloration.

In fact it traumatized me so much that I can't stand that coloration in other headphones, and really don't like the O2 Mk2 for that very reason.

The 717 should be a better match for the O2 than the GES thanks to its higher output power, so I'd say go with that.

You will want as good a source as you can get your hands on though, since the O2 is revealing on a completely different level.

Not sure about the 404LE but it will have to do a lot to do away with that upper midrange peak.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #10,675 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 717 should be a better match for the O2 than the GES thanks to its higher output power, so I'd say go with that.

or wait for the Woo WES. that amp should have plenty of power for the O2.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #10,676 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I expect it to cost about 4x-5x the current going rate for a 717. But it should be a great amp regardless...

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #10,677 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O2 Mk1 is much better than the SR-404. I had the 404 for two years and eventually started hating it because of its massive upper midrange emphasis. It turned me off electrostatics in general for about a year, and it wasn't until the O2 Mk1 that I really got back into 'stats. So I wouldn't recommend the 404 unless you've heard it and you're fine with its particular coloration.

In fact it traumatized me so much that I can't stand that coloration in other headphones, and really don't like the O2 Mk2 for that very reason.

You will want as good a source as you can get your hands on though, since the O2 is revealing on a completely different level.

Not sure about the 404LE but it will have to do a lot to do away with that upper midrange peak.

I don't see myself picking up a new source. I would like to think my RWA Isabellina would be sufficient for the O2's

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would love to be able to pick up the WES however I'm thinking the price will be out of my reach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's a pretty tough call. Let's get the easy part out of the way first: get the O2 mk1; you'll just end up there anyway. And while I love the Lambda, the O2 is in a different league--one that I don't expect the 404LE to approach. As for the amp, I think there are several here who would recommend the 717. However, I think the GES may be the way to go. My only real complaint about the GES is that I think it is just a bit underpowered for the O2 mk1. But it still gets it right, to my ears. Also, the GES will sound great with a pair of Lambda Pros should you decide to get one at a decent price.

Finally, I would advise against the stepper. 24 steps just aren't enough.

I've been leaning toward the O2's. That way I would get the cans first and work on the amp later.

Good point on the 24 steps.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #10,679 of 24,807
$750? JESUS!

I payed $200 for the Lambda Pro's and I don't expect to pay anything more than another $200 for the SRM-1/MK2. I hope there isn't a sudden price rise!

Someone on Trademe (a local but very popular auction site) is wanting $305 for an SR-Gamma and SRD-7. Cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back