The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #11,371 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my first Stax phone. I'm a bit amazed how loud they are already between the 3-4 marks! Off to do some comparisons!

Kelvinz - I would definitely be interested in hearing how your Stax compare to your other phones. You definitely have a strong collection of phones. I noticed you have the Omega IIs. Did you leapfrog over the less expensive Stax (e.g., SR-202)?

It's been suggested here that folks should simply start at the Omegas and bypass all the others as typically most end up getting the Omegas at some point. I'm still working to get to that level. I'm afraid of the expense when I decide I need to upgrade the rest of my system upon getting the Omegas.

Happy listening!

Johnnie

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #11,372 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been suggested here that folks should simply start at the Omegas and bypass all the others as typically most end up getting the Omegas at some point.

Not a bad plan, but I'd personally recommend starting at the normal Lambdas and seeing if there's any good reason to keep going. There wasn't for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #11,373 of 24,807
Quote:

Kelvinz - I would definitely be interested in hearing how your Stax compare to your other phones. You definitely have a strong collection of phones. I noticed you have the Omega IIs. Did you leapfrog over the less expensive Stax (e.g., SR-202)?

It's been suggested here that folks should simply start at the Omegas and bypass all the others as typically most end up getting the Omegas at some point. I'm still working to get to that level. I'm afraid of the expense when I decide I need to upgrade the rest of my system upon getting the Omegas.

Happy listening!

Johnnie

Johnnie: I'm not the best at describing how headphone sound different but I will give it my best, though it may take me a few weeks to find the time.

I did leapfrog over the less expensive Stax. I also had read numerous times to just go with the Omegas.
o2smile.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #11,374 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my first Stax phone. I'm a bit amazed how loud they are already between the 3-4 marks! Off to do some comparisons!

Same here! Thanks to Oublie, I've entered the world of stax: Lambda Sigs and T1W.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #11,376 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they provide many hours of aural bliss, Kelvin! :]

I believe they will! Thank you
o2smile.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #11,377 of 24,807
Since I'm sure I'll end up purchasing the 007t I have on loan, it's been suggested that I do a cap upgrade to it, at least to the power supply section. Has anyone ever modded one? Are there known mods worth doing?

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #11,379 of 24,807
Quote:

It's been suggested here that folks should simply start at the Omegas and bypass all the others as typically most end up getting the Omegas at some point.

That is the way to go!
Which is why I went directly from Grado SR80 to Stax SR-007BL / SRM-007t.
o2smile.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #11,380 of 24,807
Alright, I'm a longtime member and first time poster in this thread. Maybe some of you have seen me around the boards.
wink.gif

I think I'm about to close a deal on a pair of Omega IIs. I was wondering if any of you have experience using them with Kevin Gilmore's AC coupled all triode electrostat amp, as detailed on Headwize.

I'm planning to build an amp for these and I greatly prefer tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Blue Hawaii is interesting, but a little intimidating at this point. Maybe some day. I'm slightly committed already - I bought the transformer, tubes and chips (for the power supply) some time ago and have been dithering on this. But a good opportunity for the Omega II turned up and I'm going for it!

Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts or impressions of this amp? Has anyone built one?

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #11,381 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I'm a longtime member and first time poster in this thread. Maybe some of you have seen me around the boards.
wink.gif

I think I'm about to close a deal on a pair of Omega IIs. I was wondering if any of you have experience using them with Kevin Gilmore's AC coupled all triode electrostat amp, as detailed on Headwize.

I'm planning to build an amp for these and I greatly prefer tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Blue Hawaii is interesting, but a little intimidating at this point. Maybe some day. I'm slightly committed already - I bought the transformer, tubes and chips (for the power supply) some time ago and have been dithering on this. But a good opportunity for the Omega II turned up and I'm going for it!

Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts or impressions of this amp? Has anyone built one?

I'd be interested to see who has built one. I would expect it to sound similar to my Woo GES which is a modified all triode amp based on the Dr. Gilmore design, but since they are still different I have no way of knowing how close they are.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #11,382 of 24,807
Uncle Erik, I considered building the Kevin Gilmore design you reference, but elected to take my own path and start from scratch. This design, like almost all currently published designs is derivative of the original Stax designs. These are complex, usually require four stages, global feedback, multiple power supplies, and often employ hybrid topology. How many people understand and can troubleshoot a "Blue Hawaii"?

Consider a single ended transformer output amp. Two stages, a single power supply, no global feedback, and a parts count of under a dozen components per channel.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #11,383 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here! Thanks to Oublie, I've entered the world of stax: Lambda Sigs and T1W.

How are you finding your new toys David?

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11,384 of 24,807
One member who is active here, Kerry, has built one and he has brought it to meets with good results. It's also on my long list of amps waiting to be built but it may take a while...
redface.gif

I'm with Frank that there are other avenues to consider when building 'stat amps then the basic direct drive amps but if you have the majority of the parts at hand then I'd say, go for it.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #11,385 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One member who is active here, Kerry, has built one and he has brought it to meets with good results. It's also on my long list of amps waiting to be built but it may take a while...
redface.gif

I'm with Frank that there are other avenues to consider when building 'stat amps then the basic direct drive amps but if you have the majority of the parts at hand then I'd say, go for it.

I just acquired 2x KGBH boards, 6x 2SC2240BL, 6x 2SA970BL and Stax socket. If you or anyone else has a printed BOM that would be a great help to me. I already understand about the standoffs and B+ lines needing to be watched carefully so it doesn't short out. but I have no idea what I am doing, and will likely recruit some help in the form of Wiatrob, Sherwood or Naamanf in putting it together after I round up all the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back