The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #11,401 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They aren't in current production but you can still find NOS unit sitting on shelfs.

mmmhh...where? I have not been able to find one.
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #11,402 of 24,807
^ If we knew there would very soon be none left. Aka, we do not know.
Some just find them in local stores from time to time.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #11,403 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so KRMATHIS, you are hoarding all those SRD-7's then?
angry_face.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #11,404 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angry_face.gif

If I find one, with a fair price tag, I will certainly snatch it. That is true!
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #11,406 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As both the units are new, these findings may change when they get more play time. Anyone knows how much run in time, if any, they need to sound their best?

Quote:

I'd say they wouldn't need any time to run in. It's just a lot of copper with some basic parts thrown into the mix.

There's also HeadphoneAddict's indication that the SRD-7Mk2SB takes considerably longer to reach full bias charge of the ESPs - that could affect the sound if Victor Chew's only been doing brief comparisons between the two.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #11,407 of 24,807
Quote:

They aren't in current production but you can still find NOS unit sitting on shelfs.

They are NOS and there were 2 pieces left and as they were different models I decided to take them both to try them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Started laughing the moment I read your post. Love the way you put it and couldn't agree more with you Krmathis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angry_face.gif

I only have 2, Kramatis may have a lot more in his ware house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also HeadphoneAddict's indication that the SRD-7Mk2SB takes considerably longer to reach full bias charge of the ESPs - that could affect the sound if Victor Chew's only been doing brief comparisons between the two.

I gave the SRD7SBmk2 more than an hour to charge up. It did get louder after 10 minutes and you can noticeably hear it attenuating. To do the comparision I had the speaker wires from both the units plugged into the B22 at the same time so that I can do a quick switch between the 2 energizers. When I switched form the SRD7SBMk2, the SRD7mk2 was louder by about 1 level. The SRD7SB mk2 seems warmer and sweeter to me whilst the SRD7mk seems faster and more dynamic at similar volumes.

Will find sometime to test them again.

I thing I did realise was that the power wires from the SRD7mk2 was not marked which side was live and which was neutral. Switching them did change the sound. Does anyone know which is live? For the moment, I use the one printed with the words as live.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #11,409 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, my stock Stax SRD-7 Mk2 SB takes maybe only a couple of minutes longer than my SRD-7 Pro which charges them up instantly. It's my modded SRD-7 SB that takes several minutes to charge up pro bias phones - it was just normal bias, but now is pro and normal bias jacks and an HE Audio Jack.

PS: my SRD-7 Pro plugs into the wall, the other two are SB.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #11,410 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, my stock Stax SRD-7 Mk2 SB takes maybe only a couple of minutes longer than my SRD-7 Pro which charges them up instantly. It's my modded SRD-7 SB that takes several minutes to charge up pro bias phones - it was just normal bias, but now is pro and normal bias jacks and an HE Audio Jack.

PS: my SRD-7 Pro plugs into the wall, the other two are SB.

I stand corrected. Thanks, HeadphoneAddict.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #11,411 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have 2, Kramatis may have a lot more in his ware house.

I only have one (1), the SRD-7 Pro, since I sold my SRD-7MK2 last year. Do not need more than one, but if I happen to run into one I will buy it. Especially is if is an SRD-7MK2 SB.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #11,412 of 24,807
I found the srd7 mkII sb to be a little smoother with lambdas than the pro mkII volume wise its probably down to the amp and the voltage multipliers used. It is possible that the sb's aren't feeding as high a bias as the pro srd7's and could also be related to the stepup transformers used in the different srd7 versions. Apparently there were a few changes to transformers even within the same models.

i've built a replica bias supply for an srd7 pro and have just snagged a couple of c core matched high voltage transformers of ebay (4 kg each).

I've been trying to get a replacement for my srd7 mkII built for quite some time but good trafos are really expensive turns ratio in reverse will be 1:40 so should perform quite well.

This is all because i can't find a 717 for my omegas. I've tried srm1 mk2 and the srmt1w with the omegas but neither can match the srd7 as they need a lot more 'drive' than the lambdas.

Moving house atm but once i'm settled in ill finally try and get this built and reviewed.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #11,413 of 24,807
Gonna buy soon the Stax SR-4070. Do you think it will be a waste to pair them with the SRM-006tII ? Music matters... but money as well
wink_face.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #11,415 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why in particular the 4070's?

Now i got the Ultrasone PRO 2500, using them with the Headphone Out of a Marantz PM8003. Really enjoy them but due to my parents making some noise with the TV i'd like a Closed Back Headphone. The only stats closed back headphone are the SR-4070. I can afford SR-4070 + SRM-006tII, but going for a better driver unit will be really too much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back