The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #11,431 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I find one, with a fair price tag, I will certainly snatch it. That is true!
wink.gif

well, I beat you to one!
biggrin.gif
I have an SRD-7 MKII coming my way!!!

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #11,432 of 24,807
Thanks a lot, Edstrelow. Now I'm keen to compare some other offerings. Are any of the Lambda series particularly known to present rock music well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a comprison recently of the Lambda Signature, 404 and Nova Classic.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s...lassic-430113/

I thought the Sig was slightly down in bass, and definitely down in midrange compared to the others but overall had a very pleasing sound and I thought was listenable on a wider range of material than the others, although it was not necessarily more accurate tonally.

Many stats (but not Sigmas and 005's) have a treble edginess on recordings which may have too much recorded treble. Telarcs generally don't have a treble edge, but a lot of rock/pop is treblish.

Often cables can make a difference. I also recommend Silclear on all contacts and even a cheap noise remover such as PS Audio's noise harvester can make the treble smoother on all recordings.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #11,433 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot, Edstrelow. Now I'm keen to compare some other offerings. Are any of the Lambda series particularly known to present rock music well?

I've been told the sr5nb gold rocks pretty hard, but I've not heard it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #11,434 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been told the sr5nb gold rocks pretty hard, but I've not heard it.

You heard right, it does rock hard, but it's not a lambda. Nonetheless, worth a shot. It's kind of the "grado" of the Stax lineup, if I might make so crass a comparison.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #11,435 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You heard right, it does rock hard, but it's not a lambda. Nonetheless, worth a shot. It's kind of the "grado" of the Stax lineup, if I might make so crass a comparison.

The man I bought my 5nbgolds from also characterized it as the grado of the stax line. Maybe power of suggestion but when I listened, it did indeed have the "upfront" character of my RS1s. Now I have both phones in the same place and will be able to make some sort of evaluation of this notion.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #11,436 of 24,807
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The man I bought my 5nbgolds from also characterized it as the grado of the stax line. Maybe power of suggestion but when I listened, it did indeed have the "upfront" character of my RS1s. Now I have both phones in the same place and will be able to make some sort of evaluation of this notion.

I've compared my SR-5NB to my RS-1 on a few occasions here in this thread a few times before. It's amazing how good an SR-5NB on an inexpensive SRM-1 Mk2 Pro sounds vs a nice RS-1 rig.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #11,437 of 24,807
Quote:

I'm guessing their a bit of a rarity also! What sort of price does the SR-5NB fetch these days?

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #11,438 of 24,807
Can somebody give a little more specific information (numbers) on what part of the frequency curve are the 404 sig's bumped up? for looking at the graph in page one the main bump seems to be between 1000 and 2000 Hz How accurate is this graph?

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #11,439 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing their a bit of a rarity also! What sort of price does the SR-5NB fetch these days?

About $200 a year ago.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #11,440 of 24,807
Can someone tell me the best Europe shop for STAX items? I am in italy and for a SR-4040 signature System II they ask me 2200 € (LOL ???). I better buy them online to save money. I know that best price are from Japan and USA (due to the $\€ ratio) but customs duty will be too much. Any advice ?

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #11,442 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if I should leave the SRD7mk2 on all the time or if I should turn it off when not in use?

leaving it on makes sense if you have your cans plugged in as it has been said that the diaphrams do need some time to charge but this will attract dust to them over time. Personally i turn mine off when not in use however, a few members have said that the sound improves with time due to the diaphrams being fully charged so it might be an idea to turn them on a little while before listening.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #11,443 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leaving it on makes sense if you have your cans plugged in as it has been said that the diaphrams do need some time to charge but this will attract dust to them over time. Personally i turn mine off when not in use however, a few members have said that the sound improves with time due to the diaphrams being fully charged so it might be an idea to turn them on a little while before listening.

That "time for charging" thing is pure nonsense. The cans start sounding as soon as the unit is switched on and there's some music playing. Electricity travels at almost light speed and the mylar membrane gets "charged" as soon as the bias current gets to it, so when the music signal gets to the stators, the membrane starts moving.
On adapters you not even need the time to warm up components as in energizers. It makes more sense leaving your amp on to shorten its warm up time, than leaving the adapter on.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #11,444 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That "time for charging" thing is pure nonsense. The cans start sounding as soon as the unit is switched on and there's some music playing. Electricity travels at almost light speed and the mylar membrane gets "charged" as soon as the bias current gets to it, so when the music signal gets to the stators, the membrane starts moving.
On adapters you not even need the time to warm up components as in energizers. It makes more sense leaving your amp on to shorten its warm up time, than leaving the adapter on.

tell that to those who claim otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back