The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #11,356 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering...

Are there any sound differences between the SRD-7/Mk2 and the SRD-7/SB? Because there is a SRD-7/SB and Lambda Normal on the FS forum for a good price... I could sell the SRD-7/Mk2 and the Lambda Pro's, buy the SRD-7/SB combo and still have enough for some HF2's :O

The SR-Lambda with SRD-7 Mk2 is minimally better than with SRD-7SB. To me it's really hard to tell a difference, so if you can do both the SR-Lambda/SRD-7SB and HF-2 I would go for it.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #11,357 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-Lambda with SRD-7 Mk2 is minimally better than with SRD-7SB. To me it's really hard to tell a difference, so if you can do both the SR-Lambda/SRD-7SB and HF-2 I would go for it.

Actually, naah. I'll keep the SRD-7/Mk2. It has both Pro and Normal outputs, whereas the SB only has normal. It'll be more versatile down the line.

Someone hurry up and buy ma Lambda Pro's :/

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #11,358 of 24,807
This SRD-7 talk is making me want to get one to try, now that I have an old Luxman amp.

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #11,359 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows the difference between the SRD-7/mk2 and the SRD-7/SBmk2.

Yup, several of us do...

SB is short for Self Bias. Meaning that it draw power for the bias from the audio signal, and not through the wall plug.

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #11,360 of 24,807
Is the quality of the solder between the SRD-7/Mk2's speaker cable and an extension speaker cable going to make a difference to the sound quality? What about the quality of the cable itself?

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #11,361 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This SRD-7 talk is making me want to get one to try, now that I have an old Luxman amp.

Where you are located now, there ought to be plenty of stax equipment. I also understand that you can get it at a better price in Japan. There is an SRD7 at the kuboTen website that you may want to look at. Problem is, people like me can't read or understand a word of Japanese. If I do need any equipment from Japan, I normally ask Craig to middleman the transaction.

I have been fortunate and managed to get hold of a brand new SRD7mk2 and also a brand new SRD SB7 mk2 a couple of days back. Wanted to choose either one but ended up picking up both.

The SRD7SBmk2 takes longer to charge up the O2mk1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the quality of the solder between the SRD-7/Mk2's speaker cable and an extension speaker cable going to make a difference to the sound quality? What about the quality of the cable itself?

I think alot of things in the music chain equipment makes a difference. But the question is how much difference it will make.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #11,362 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Johnnie - are you coming to the Colorado head-fi meet on 7/25 in Denver?

See my signature line at the bottom of my post for the link to the thread about it, and post there if you can come and what gear you want to bring.

On topic, I have a GES too and the sound responds very well to an upgraded matched quad of 12AX7 tubes. You should look for some Telefunken smooth plates, or early 60's GE, or even some cryo treated new re-issue Mullards (all between $100-150 for a quad). I am currently using some early 60's GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7. Those are all much better than the stock EH 12AX7 or NOS 12BZ7 that Woo carries.

Larry - thanks for the information regarding upgrading the tubes. I definitely want to do some tube rolling, but given how much is available in the 12AX7 family, it's almost too much of a good thing. Vintage Tube Services has some very nice tubes, albeit expensive. Any recommendation for a good tube source would be appreciated.

As for attending the meet in Denver, I should be able to make if for some of the day. I have two young girls and so my wife counts on me for some relief during the weekend. I'll post what I can bring on the thread for the meet.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #11,363 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry - thanks for the information regarding upgrading the tubes. I definitely want to do some tube rolling, but given how much is available in the 12AX7 family, it's almost too much of a good thing. Vintage Tube Services has some very nice tubes, albeit expensive. Any recommendation for a good tube source would be appreciated.

As for attending the meet in Denver, I should be able to make if for some of the day. I have two young girls and so my wife counts on me for some relief during the weekend. I'll post what I can bring on the thread for the meet.

I got the tubes for my GES on eBay, just spent time watching and bidding.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Colorado meet!

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #11,365 of 24,807
The SR-007 Mk1 has champagne colored housings with either black (rather rare) or brown cable, earpads and arc assembly. The SR-007Mk2 is all black, even the aluminum housing. There is also the Japanese SR-007A which is identical to the Mk2 but is has polished silver aluminum parts while the rest is black. It also says SR-007A or Mk2 on top of the headpad.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #11,366 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jherbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I tell a O2mk1 from a O2mk2? I have a set that came with the SRM727 and have no idea how to identify the headphone. any help is really appreciated.

There are four (4) different O2 models:

1997-2007 (often referred to as MK1)
* SR-007 -> Brown leather/cable and champagne housing (picture)
* SR-007BL -> Black leather/cable and champagne housing (picture of my pair)

2007-
* SR-007A -> Black leather/cable and silver housing (picture)
* SR-007MK2 -> Black leather/cable and black housing (picture)

As you see, the MK1 have champagne colored housing. While the MK2 have black colored housing.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #11,367 of 24,807
I must say I like the looks of the 007A better than the Mk2 (thx for the pics)...

I will stick with my classic champagne and brown for now.

Cheers,

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #11,369 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say I like the looks of the 007A better than the Mk2 (thx for the pics)...

I will stick with my classic champagne and brown for now.

Cheers,

AFAIK the 007II is also available in silver, while the 007A is only available in silver.
As for me, I like the 007's champagne more than the somewhat clinical matt silver of my 007A.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #11,370 of 24,807
Just received my first Stax phone. I'm a bit amazed how loud they are already between the 3-4 marks! Off to do some comparisons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back