The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #8,161 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I gather from this current tack that getting a good fart on the Omega II/SR-007 is something to be aimed for? And how does one achieve it (assuming one has a set of the Omegas to begin with!)? (I also assume that, unless one has adopted Birgir's BluTak modification, this farting business is not an issue with the new SR-007 Mk2/A... )

Guess you can say so. Since a strong and even (on both sides) fart sound mean that you have an air tight connection between the SR-007 and your head.

The lack of air tight connection are said to be part of why the SR-007 MK2 / SR-007A sound different than the SR-007 / SR-007BL.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #8,162 of 24,807
The "fart" (I prefer to call it a squeal but each to his own) is a side effect of the airtight seal that the phones produce. All electrostatics can make this noise when pushed against the head (forcing out air) but the SR-007 and SR-001/3 make it in normal use. An airtight seal is always preferred with planar drivers since it cancels out backwave bleed which eats up the bass. The same thing applies to ESL's if you put them on a larger baffle you get more bass output.

Stax did indeed "fix" this issue on the Mk2/A but killed the accurate bass of the Mk1 and SR-Omega. They did the same with my SR-Omega/007 hybrid as can be seen in the pictures I've included and a little blutac had the same effect as on the SR-007A. It's almost as if all the good engineers have quit and we are left with those that don't know what they are doing. A bit like Quad today who really don't know what they are doing by building a time bomb into every speaker....

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lack of air tight connection are said to be part of why the SR-007 MK2 / SR-007A sound different than the SR-007 / SR-007BL.

That affects the bass and the increased height of the earpads screws with the midrange balance. Both are easy to fix though...

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #8,163 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
StrongFart!

Well? is the sound the most neutral evar, and so on? You can tell us.

Still listening and need to form an opinion.
devil_face.gif

So far so good, sounds nice out of SRM-T1S and SRM-1Mk2 Pro. Unfortunately I do not have a Pro adapter to test it with any of my amps. As far as "most neutral evar", it seems to be flattish similar to LNS but the bass is better and extends forevar
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #8,164 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit like Quad today who really don't know what they are doing by building a time bomb into every speaker....

OK, I'll bite. How is Quad building a time bomb into every speaker?

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #8,166 of 24,807
Quote:

Faulty bias supplies will overvolt the panels and destroy them.

That's not good! I've been a planar fan for over two decades now and have been considering the Quads after selling my Maggies. Most of what I've heard about the current Chinese manufactured Quads has been positive. Is the bias problem fixable?

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #8,167 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not good! I've been a planar fan for over two decades now and have been considering the Quads after selling my Maggies. Most of what I've heard about the current Chinese manufactured Quads has been positive. Is the bias problem fixable?

Just buy a refurbished 57 or 63 like I'm going to do. The build quality of the new units isn't all that good and the restorers do a better job.

The bias issue can be fixed with an after market supply but not by Quad since they are just ignoring it or haven't realized what's going on.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #8,168 of 24,807
Quote:

Just buy a refurbished 57 or 63 like I'm going to do. The build quality of the new units isn't all that good and the restorers do a better job.

Great idea! Getting a two pairs of restored 57's and putting together an HQD system would be retro-cool!

wilcox-albums-misc-picture777-hqdusa-1.jpg

(Enough OT!
redface.gif
Now back to STAX!)

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8,169 of 24,807
Quote:

The "fart" (I prefer to call it a squeal but each to his own) is a side effect of the airtight seal that the phones produce.

How do you position the O2 on your head to achieve airtight seal? I am still playing with positioning and want some pointers
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #8,171 of 24,807
Quote:

I have the seam on the earpads pointing forward and about 20-30° upwards towards the temples. The arc assembly slants about 30° forward so it rests above my forehead and not on top of my head.

Okay, I'll be the first to say we need pics!
o2smile.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #8,172 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea! Getting a two pairs of restored 57's and putting together an HQD system would be retro-cool

(Enough OT!
redface.gif
Now back to STAX!)

Check out the massive Audio Research D150 and Mark Levinson ML2 in the background! I would love to assemble just a stacked pair of Quad 57s - there were instructions for the frame on the net.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #8,173 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o2smile.gif

Nah... I'm fairly sure that Dmitriy will figure it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the massive Audio Research D150 and Mark Levinson ML2 in the background! I would love to assemble just a stacked pair of Quad 57s - there were instructions for the frame on the net.

Quad released the instructions back in the day but that is the Mark Levinson HQD system which used massive 18" woofers and Decca ribbon tweeters to augment the dual Quads. Today you can get even triple or quadruple stacked 57's if you have pockets deep enough.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #8,174 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thats not a D150. It's a D79. One of my favorites!!

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #8,175 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o2smile.gif

Come on, get real! Birgir can't possibly post pictures of himself wearing Omegas, or anything else for that matter: he doesn't really exist, he is just the product of our collective imaginations. God doesn't exist, so we have to create him!
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back