The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #8,176 of 24,807
Plus I understand he's a baker. I'm sure his toque (baker's hat) would cover vital pictorial information.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, get real! Birgir can't possibly post pictures of himself wearing Omegas, or anything else for that matter: he doesn't really exist, he is just the product of our collective imaginations. God doesn't exist, so we have to create him!
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8,178 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Enough OT!
redface.gif
Now back to STAX!)

No hurry. Let's admire the stacked Quads in their trestles, nestling in their naughty-pine habitat, a bit longer. [admires]

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #8,179 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the seam on the earpads pointing forward and about 20-30° upwards towards the temples. The arc assembly slants about 30° forward so it rests above my forehead and not on top of my head.

This arrangement worked for me as well, the Fart Is Strong now.
tongue.gif
Thanks spritzer!

I like O2 out of SRM-T1S a bit more than SRM-1 even though it has less rated power. I guess better parts, topology and tubes have to do something with it.

Since I do not have BH this will have to be my system for a while, might be a long while because I was not happy with the GU50 amp ATM, still needs work since it is overdriving everything.
o2smile.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8,181 of 24,807
Quote:

I have the seam on the earpads pointing forward and about 20-30° upwards towards the temples. The arc assembly slants about 30° forward so it rests above my forehead and not on top of my head.

Exactly the same here.
o2smile.gif

Tried all (most) other position, but this one give me the best fit and sound quality.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8,182 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just joined the stax club with recent acquistion of LNS and T1s. What is a good CD source to go with it with a budget of about $1500? Would the LNS be better off with a solid state or tube CD player?

I've had my eye on the Cambridge audio 840c, and I'd look there.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8,183 of 24,807
Well, I just agreed to buy an SRD-X from some guy in Ft. Collins CO.

I've always thought this was a curious little box. Am i correct in understanding that it is truly an SRD - a transformer box rather than an amp?

I'm curious how well it pairs with the various DIY amps I've built for dynamic headphones. And, well, now i get to find out. or in a week or so anyway.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #8,185 of 24,807
Quote:

It's an amp coupled with transformers. I never spent any time studying the circuit though.

Curious.

Must weigh a bit with six C-cells in it for portable use. I'll have to see how the SR-5 does with it at work or something.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #8,187 of 24,807
Quote:

I never used any of mine with batteries but I believe it takes 8 C-cells on top of the transformers (literally) so weight is an issue.

I use my SRD-XPro on batteries sometimes, basically because it gives me a wider range of ESP options than the far more portable SuperFatCat SR-001 Mk2 system (and the SR-001 Mk2 itself sounds better out of the SRD-XPro IMHO).

So I think the weight issue is worth it, but only for local listening where a power supply is unavailable (e.g. can go for a stroll with a backpack to some nice bushland areas, unpack a nice portable Stax rig and listen to outstanding ESP sounds in idyllic surroundings
wink_face.gif
).

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #8,188 of 24,807
Hi folks,

Well about a week ago i picked up an old SRM1 MKII (dual normal bias) thinking that it would be a big improvement over my self biasing srd7 mkII (pro and normal) with my NAD 3020b amp. How wrong was i! I was under the impression that a full electrostatic headphone amp even though an older basic model (bought cheap) would floor the srd. The reason i thought this was i was under the assumption that the srd's were the poor man's route to headphone heaven and that the full amps were designed to give a better sound.

My issues with it are as follows.

1. the dynamics are lacking i.e. the sound seem more dull and lifeless and I enjoy the sound from the srd7 much more than the srm1 also bass is a tighter and full on the srd7.

2. volume needs to be at 12o'clock in order to listen at a comfortable level.

3. i measured the bias voltage on the sockets and it was around 200v which to me seems a bit on the low side as it should be 240v

do I just have a unit that is at the end of it's life or are the srm1's not particularly good?

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #8,189 of 24,807
The budget amps trade dynamics for detail and extra resolution so you simply just prefer the transformer route. The volume depends on the source so a setting of 5 or even more isn't surprising.

Did you measure the bias before the bleed resistor? 200v was the old standard so it isn't out of spec but if you measures the bias at the plug then you completed the circuit and the resistor did its job.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #8,190 of 24,807
Hi Spritzer - I measured at the socket which may be the reason for the low voltage. As for dynamics verses detail etc i'm getting more detail through the srd or maybe i just have a lucky budget setup. I was hoping for so much more and planned to sell the normal amp and the transformer but looks like they will be staying for another while. When buying this kind of gear obviously I'm buying completely blind so it's always a gamble. My concern would be that if I ever had enough cash for a set of O2's and a 727 that the 727 or 007t would have the same sort of problem. Could the problem with the srm1 be recified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back