The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #8,146 of 24,807
You don't know what a normal bias Sigma is supposed to sound like until you've heard it on a BH so a normal bias output is a good idea.
devil_face.gif
The T1 amps are a good option for all the less demanding cans but you can always build a cable to borrow the bias from some other source. That's what I did with my single output BH.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #8,147 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for Stax gurus: according to the info I found on wiki and these boards, there are a handful of Stax amps that can drive both Normal and Pro 'phones.

I only own normals at the moment, but I anticipate moving on up (bias-wise) at some point in the future. I'd love an amp that won't run into obsolescence when I do.
Are any of these dual-voltage amps decent? If so, which should I look out for?

It looks like Stax is no longer making amps with any low bias outputs, but it did so until fairly recently (check the Stax history page
http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html:// )

As a related question is it too difficult to convert a high bias output to low bias? I realize there is a problem with the number of pins, but that is not insurmountable.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #8,148 of 24,807
One of the reasons I haven't upgraded beyond the 007t is its feature-set including normal and dual pro-biased jacks. Although I didn't much care for the O2/007s out of it (though to be honest I've felt the same with the KKGS, GES, etc.), the Lambdas, Gammas and Golds all sound quite nice with it.

And on this subject Jack Woo in the past has offered to add a normal bias jack on the GES if a person would be willing to send a normal bias phone to test with.

Sometimes I feel one of the issues of how electrostatics amps are discussed is O2 specific. Amps powering them (especially "waking them up") are ranked and then applied to all other electrostatic phones. It's as if only HD650s are used for all dynamic rankings. So even though some think the BH can sound a bit bright with Lamdba-class, a more synergetic Stax amp can be "a bottleneck" as everyone knows that all Stax amps are inferior to offerings by Headamp, Singlepower, Woo, etc. (with all electrostatic phones .... obviously). Coupled with a seemingly general opinion that all electrostatic owners are aiming eventually for an O2 sound, though some of us aren't (why this is discussed privately and not more publicly I'm still trying to figure out), a lot of these rankings (usually echoing around) are more than a bit over-simplified. Or put it another way with the best possible spin, even if amps generally stated as superior over others, are, their increase in SQ with your phones may not be enough to warrant the price boost or feature set loss. Probably stating the obvious, but just wanted to mention it.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #8,149 of 24,807
Tend to agree with the above post. This is not to mention that some of us like the old low bias phones, at least for some uses. I was listening to movie soundtracks last night with the low bias SRXIII/SRA12S amp combination and the sound is superb. Now I woudln't recommend these phones as an all-purpose set but for this use they are right up there with the best. Possibly this weekend I will try them with a Dolby Headphone setup.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8,150 of 24,807
well, my modest setup currently employs a Lambda normal through an SRD-6SB powered by an NAD C320BEE. None of it is particularly standout, but it's extremely musical and I enjoy it.

I would like for my first dedicated electrostatic amp to provide me the possibility to A/B pro bias sets with my normals, and it seems there are a number of options, from the SR007t (thanks, blessingx) to the SRM-1 Pro.

I guess I'll just wait and watch. Thanks for the T1 recommendation, Birgir.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #8,151 of 24,807
You have a good point about how the Stax amps are ranked but I personally draw a line between how an amp sounds (it shouldn't) and how much power it has. Altering the "sound" is easy to do but the power output is crucial, not only with the SR-007 but most of the electrostatic headphones. I also always use the SR-007 as a benchmark simply because it is the most neutral headphone there is.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #8,152 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the reasons I haven't upgraded beyond the 007t is its feature-set including normal and dual pro-biased jacks. Although I didn't much care for the O2/007s out of it (though to be honest I've felt the same with the KKGS, GES, etc.), the Lambdas, Gammas and Golds all sound quite nice with it.

And on this subject Jack Woo in the past has offered to add a normal bias jack on the GES if a person would be willing to send a normal bias phone to test with.

Sometimes I feel one of the issues of how electrostatics amps are discussed is O2 specific. Amps powering them (especially "waking them up") are ranked and then applied to all other electrostatic phones. It's as if only HD650s are used for all dynamic rankings. So even though some think the BH can sound a bit bright with Lamdba-class, a more synergetic Stax amp can be "a bottleneck" as everyone knows that all Stax amps are inferior to offerings by Headamp, Singlepower, Woo, etc. (with all electrostatic phones .... obviously). Coupled with a seemingly general opinion that all electrostatic owners are aiming eventually for an O2 sound, though some of us aren't (why this is discussed privately and not more publicly I'm still trying to figure out), a lot of these rankings (usually echoing around) are more than a bit over-simplified. Or put it another way with the best possible spin, even if amps generally stated as superior over others, are, their increase in SQ with your phones may not be enough to warrant the price boost or feature set loss. Probably stating the obvious, but just wanted to mention it.

I'm hoping to see my Maxed Woo GES with pro and normal bias jacks ship next week. I paid the extra $150 for normal bias jack since I still like my vintage SR-5NB Gold edition and SR-Lambda.

I've been using the 3yr old GES Prototype and with borrowed SR-007 at the Colorado head-fi meet it wasn't too bad, but is especially good with HE-60, ESP950 and SR-Lambda Signature. Can't wait to see how the new one sounds! Even the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro did a better job driving the SR-007 than I thought it would.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #8,153 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are any of these dual-voltage amps decent? If so, which should I look out for?

They sure are!
The SRM-007t are quite decent, and so are the SRM-T1 (I have heard). There are others out there as well, both Stax and aftermarket.

Sep 20, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #8,154 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coupled with a seemingly general opinion that all electrostatic owners are aiming eventually for an O2 sound, though some of us aren't (why this is discussed privately and not more publicly I'm still trying to figure out), a lot of these rankings (usually echoing around) are more than a bit over-simplified.

Excellent points. My Lambda Sigs out of the 007t is my favorite combo right now.

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #8,155 of 24,807
I finally got my SR-007 Mk1 and SRM-T1S amp. I like O2 out of T1 just fine, especially the bass. It also sound very nice out of SRM-1Mk2 Pro. I still need to get used to the O2 fit and sound, but so far my impressions are positive. I get Stax fart but more so out of left driver, why would that happen? Different seal on different ears, no?

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #8,157 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my SR-007 Mk1 and SRM-T1S amp. I like O2 out of T1 just fine, especially the bass. It also sound very nice out of SRM-1Mk2 Pro. I still need to get used to the O2 fit and sound, but so far my impressions are positive. I get Stax fart but more so out of left driver, why would that happen? Different seal on different ears, no?

Congratulations!
o2smile.gif

Regarding the Stax fart on left driver only. There may be several reasons, like headband position, earpads position (rotation), head shape, and more. Or if you have a used pair, the earpads might need to be replaced.

Enjoy!

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #8,158 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
o2smile.gif

Regarding the Stax fart on left driver only. There may be several reasons, like headband position, earpads position (rotation), head shape, and more. Or if you have a used pair, the earpads might need to be replaced.

Enjoy!

I figured it out actually, it was the headband that I had to bend to get the correct fit. Sounds better now and the fart is strong
ph34r.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #8,160 of 24,807
Do I gather from this current tack that getting a good fart on the Omega II/SR-007 is something to be aimed for? And how does one achieve it (assuming one has a set of the Omegas to begin with!)? (I also assume that, unless one has adopted Birgir's BluTak modification, this farting business is not an issue with the new SR-007 Mk2/A... )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back