The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #8,134 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Variable bias is relatively east to do, just look at the bias supply in the Gilmore amps.

My SRM-T1w has 2 Pro and 1 Normal bias outputs. One of the Pro outputs has a variable bias. I don't think that it can be adjusted down to normal bias levels but looking at the schematic could give some insight. I do not have the schematic. Interestingly the Stax manual says to use the variable bias control as a volume control to match levels of different phones.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #8,135 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SRM-T1w has 2 Pro and 1 Normal bias outputs. One of the Pro outputs has a variable bias. I don't think that it can be adjusted down to normal bias levels but looking at the schematic could give some insight. I do not have the schematic. Interestingly the Stax manual says to use the variable bias control as a volume control to match levels of different phones.

You can only adjust it down to 500v. It's a simple variable voltage divider if I remember correctly much the same as is often used to drop the Pro bias down to 230v in amps.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #8,136 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard some very expensive (high-end
smily_headphones1.gif
) cables and many pretentious DIY ones but anyone impressed me so much as the carbon interconnects. I think only a headphone listener can appreciate the qualities of the carbon ICs. They give an unnatainable 3D soundstage, instrument definition and separation, a superb linearity in the high frequencies, very delicate details. I repeat - the carbon ICs have qualities which can be appreciated only with headphones. Try them.
I use Van den Hul "the Second" but there are another carbon ICs on the market.

Thanks brat-I'll give Van den Hul a try. I'm finding the sound on my system a little bright at the moment (although I'm told the brightness is not so pronounced after 200 hours use?) and I'm hoping the I/C's will give it a warmer sound?

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #8,137 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I'd be joining the STAX high-end team this afternoon when DHL dropped off my SR-007A and was looking forward to a weekend of electrostatic bliss. Unfortunately, when I opened the heavy box, it was an SRM-007tA instead!
frown.gif

Hopefully PriceJapan.com has reasonable customer service and can rectify this in short order. No response to my e-mails yet, however.

DHL delivered another box from PriceJapan.com this morning and this time there was an SR-007A inside! I can attest to their great customer service in rectifying this matter promptly.

First listen to the SR-007A is very promising! Very different from my SR-404 -- warm and extended with no obvious peakiness. Also a wonderful and solid 3-dimensional soundstage. Now, I need some time with them to let these phones and my ears break-in!
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #8,138 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DHL delivered another box from PriceJapan.com this morning and this time there was an SR-007A inside! I can attest to their great customer service in rectifying this matter promptly.

That was quick!
Guess its time for a short congratulations then. Hope you enjoy it.
o2smile.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8,142 of 24,807
What I'm wondering is if I'm supposed to recognize the face.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #8,143 of 24,807
Question for Stax gurus: according to the info I found on wiki and these boards, there are a handful of Stax amps that can drive both Normal and Pro 'phones.

I only own normals at the moment, but I anticipate moving on up (bias-wise) at some point in the future. I'd love an amp that won't run into obsolescence when I do.
Are any of these dual-voltage amps decent? If so, which should I look out for?

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #8,144 of 24,807
My SRM-T1W has both Normal and Pro outputs, though I don't have any Normal headphones.

It is decent. It drives the Airbow SR-SC1 and 4070 quite well, and the SR-Omega also does surprisingly good. However, I don't think it's a good match for the SR-007 or SR-007Mk2.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8,145 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SRM-T1W has both Normal and Pro outputs, though I don't have any Normal headphones.

It is decent. It drives the Airbow SR-SC1 and 4070 quite well, and the SR-Omega also does surprisingly good. However, I don't think it's a good match for the SR-007 or SR-007Mk2.

I doubt there's anything with a normal bias output that does justice to the Sr-007s.

Except, of course, the BHSE with a normal jack. I could get one, but I would have nothing left to listen to it through, nothing to plug into it, and no wall remaining to plug it into. Seems like a real "ground zero" approach to system building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back