The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #23,837 of 24,807
Quote:

I would go for the 717 if you can find a good example. I love mine, fast, good bass and none fatigiing. To me the Stax tubed amps sound a bit slow and flatter.
I
 use an Audio Note tubed NOS DAC and a tubed Audio Note pre amp before the Stax 717. It really give the Stax amp the ddrive and bass I crave (I use SR-007s 2.5s).

BTW the SRM-717 is a no feedback design, unlike the later 717 which helps in the clean sound. The later 727 is part negative feedback, which according to Sprizerha
d to happen due to design copyright, not for sonic reasons....

Thanks!...  Would that advice apply if I upgrade to the 007 mk1 as well?  How is the 007t with the 007 mk.1?  

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #23,838 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think that the 20XX series is bad. Just nothing special. That's all. It doesn't outperform or lose to anything else I've heard so far.

I hope my view changes when I get to demo a 007 or 009. I'll prob skip all the other Lambda models and go straight with the 007 someday in the future.

It's a good choice :)

On a good amp, the 007 is great and is a lot darker (music seems to come out of "nowhere"). So if you find the 202s bright, the 007s should fit you well. That all said, you may get used to the 202s after some time? 

Personally, I do one of the best value "upgrades" to go along with the 202s is a set of tactile transducers put into your chair. They aren't expensive and they really elevate the listening experience. You get detail and chest-pounding bass at the same time :)

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think that the 20XX series is bad. Just nothing special. That's all. It doesn't outperform or lose to anything else I've heard so far.

I hope my view changes when I get to demo a 007 or 009. I'll prob skip all the other Lambda models and go straight with the 007 someday in the future.

Quote:

On a good amp, the 007 is great and is a lot darker (music seems to come out of "nowhere"). So if you find the 202s bright, the 007s should fit you well. That all said, you may get used to the 202s after some time? 

Personally, I do one of the best value "upgrades" to go along with the 202s is a set of tactile transducers put into your chair. They aren't expensive and they really elevate the listening experience. You get detail and chest-pounding bass at the same time :)

Put it this way, if he likes the LCD2's dark/laid back sound signature than he will like the 007's. If he doesn't like the Lambda 202's sound (which is sort of distinctly different to the rest of the other Lambda's), then he will not like the 009 or O1's.

I thought the SR-007 MKI was pretty neutral overall. Laid back and soothing/relaxing was what I thought of it on the Liquid Lightning.

Comparing it to the LCD-2/3's darkness? Eh...I disagree with that. The 007 MKI sounded much more lively than those.

How is the SR-202, or SR-207, different from the other Lambdas?

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #23,839 of 24,807
Quote:

Haha, I got to used to the 202's "brightness." So now it's more comfortable to listen to now. But another problem has arisen... Channel imbalance. Is that a common thing? For the imbalances to come and go? I swear it wasn't there last night.

Oh, I'll be heading to uni by then, so installing tactile transducers would be a waste, but that's an interesting idea! sounds like a fun experience.
Quote:

Put it this way, if he likes the LCD2's dark/laid back sound signature than he will like the 007's. If he doesn't like the Lambda 202's sound (which is sort of distinctly different to the rest of the other Lambda's), then he will not like the 009 or O1's.

I actually hated the LCD2's darkness. 
I do believe that the 007 will prob sound nice though. I'll prob leave full sizes behind soon. 
It's just so inconvenient to use :p. I guess I'll wait until after uni to decide on that stuff. 009 is  still impossible though.
Quote:
I thought the SR-007 MKI was pretty neutral overall. Laid back and soothing/relaxing was what I thought of it on the Liquid Lightning.

Comparing it to the LCD-2/3's darkness? Eh...I disagree with that. The 007 MKI sounded much more lively than those.

Although I know someone who sold his 007 for the LCD2 slam. But of course, the reason for the switch  was because he got a 009 setup :).

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #23,841 of 24,807
Thanks!...  Would that advice apply if I upgrade to the 007 mk1 as well?  How is the 007t with the 007 mk.1?  

007mk1 sounds great with the 007t . This setup blows away the lcd2.2, he500, hd650. If you only drive it with the 007t you'll be very happy. But after giving the 007 more juice wth the 717, I heard slightly better controlled bass, better treble extension, bigger soundstage (but not as deep). 007t slightly emphasized the mids and had a bit of euphonic coloration, 717 was more neutral.

Check out the old sterophile review of the 007mk1; the reviewer liked it with the 007t.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #23,842 of 24,807
Quote:

The Mk1 is very neutral. It is dark sounding compared to the rest of the stat's from the Stax family, not exactly LCD2/3 darkness but you should get the idea of where I'm coming since Eventan found the 202's a bit too bright.

The rest of Lambda's are quite different to the 202/207, the LNS is probably the most neutral and impressive sounding out of the lot, the LP is the most dynamic and bass easily comparable to some good dynamic can's, Sigma Pro's have an ethereal soundstage and incredibly amazing position and imaging with binaural or classical recordings but require the power to sound great, The 507 has razor bright highs or treble (from vague memory) but kind of slow and bassy sounding compared to the LNS and such. Some people hate the 404 Sig and think it is either inferior or a side-step to the LNS, but the pair I currently have powered by the 323S, out of everything I've owned and tried within the price category I spent, for electronic music, esp trance nothing sounds better, the mid bass is glorifying fun to listen to, it's like Gareth Emery and Cosmic Gate is right in front of me. The 407 are not bad as well but I found them to have that harsh highs or treble extension the 507 has but not as bad.
Quote:
Haha, I got to used to the 202's "brightness." So now it's more comfortable to listen to now. But another problem has arisen... Channel imbalance. Is that a common thing? For the imbalances to come and go? I swear it wasn't there last night.

Oh, I'll be heading to uni by then, so installing tactile transducers would be a waste, but that's an interesting idea! sounds like a fun experience.
I actually hated the LCD2's darkness. 
I do believe that the 007 will prob sound nice though. I'll prob leave full sizes behind soon. 
It's just so inconvenient to use :p. I guess I'll wait until after uni to decide on that stuff. 009 is  still impossible though.
Although I know someone who sold his 007 for the LCD2 slam. But of course, the reason for the switch  was because he got a 009 setup :).

Quote:
Just an indicator for you: I hated the LCD-2s but absolutely love the 007mkIs.

I liked both, after I modded the crap out of my rev.1's. I never quite understood why the LCD2's was marketed at $995, they should be at $450-550 at most.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #23,843 of 24,807
The Mk1 is very neutral. It is dark sounding compared to the rest of the stat's from the Stax family, not exactly LCD2/3 darkness but you should get the idea of where I'm coming since Eventan found the 202's a bit too bright.

I liked both, after I modded the crap out of my rev.1's. I never quite understood why the LCD2's was marketed at $995, they should be at $450-550 at most.

Real!(!) Wood Premium = $500

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #23,845 of 24,807
A bit of Rosewood (supposedly not even real rosewood according to some head-fiers) cost $500?

No, the sense of luxury panache that it imparts costs $500.

The rosewood on my latest version LCD 2 cracked in 3 places in less than 12 months. Sold them after warranty work.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #23,846 of 24,807

The rest of Lambda's are quite different to the 202/207, the LNS is probably the most neutral and impressive sounding out of the lot, the LP is the most dynamic and bass easily comparable to some good dynamic can's, Sigma Pro's have an ethereal soundstage and incredibly amazing position and imaging with binaural or classical recordings but require the power to sound great, The 507 has razor bright highs or treble (from vague memory) but kind of slow and bassy sounding compared to the LNS and such. Some people hate the 404 Sig and think it is either inferior or a side-step to the LNS, but the pair I currently have powered by the 323S, out of everything I've owned and tried within the price category I spent, for electronic music, esp trance nothing sounds better, the mid bass is glorifying fun to listen to, it's like Gareth Emery and Cosmic Gate is right in front of me. The 407 are not bad as well but I found them to have that harsh highs or treble extension the 507 has but not as bad.

I'm curious, you consider the mk1 to be neutral? Ok admittedly I have both the 007Mk1 & 009, and you did say dark sounding coming from the rest of the Stax family.

However by comparison to say something like the Mad Dogs or Paradox, to me those are more neutral-ish than the Mk1 which to me still leans more towards the warm side. I am driving my Staxes from the 727A though, so I don't know if that has a part to play in the Mk1's warmish signature.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #23,847 of 24,807
A lot MK1 owners would consider the mk1 the most neutral out of the family (those that have owned both the 009 and 007). I found it neutral with a hint of laid back darkness that is similar to my modded rev.1, but this so called neutral tonality could attribute to this. Except a few Lambda's, the rest of the Stax family is bright compared to the mk1. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #23,848 of 24,807
Quote:

I'm curious, you consider the mk1 to be neutral? Ok admittedly I have both the 007Mk1 & 009, and you did say dark sounding coming from the rest of the Stax family.

However by comparison to say something like the Mad Dogs or Paradox, to me those are more neutral-ish than the Mk1 which to me still leans more towards the warm side. I am driving my Staxes from the 727A though, so I don't know if that has a part to play in the Mk1's warmish signature.

Compared to the Lambdas, 009, SR-5, etc, 007mkI has a very different approach to sound where it isn't bright sounding but at the same time the detail retrieval is excellent. To me that is sort of a paradox since with logic, you would assume an elevated treble equals a lot of sprouting detail. But that is not the case with 007mkI. I have absolutely zero listening fatigue with them.
In contrast, the HD800 would irritate me after a few hours and most of the dynamics I've owned + a few of the Lambdas.

Many people like to assume that the 009 is king of neutrality, but that is not true. The lower amount of bass (especially when you go 100 Hz and lower) is definitely not neutral and the bright sound signature can be quite a distraction. IMO, no headphone is neutral.
Quote:
 I never quite understood why the LCD2's was marketed at $995, they should be at $450-550 at most.

I've been saying that for a long, long time. I usually get criticized heavily by Audeze fan boys but even the Stax SR-5 sounds better to me than the LCD-2s.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #23,849 of 24,807
Anyone know if channel imbalance is a normal part of Stax life? The right side is severely reduced in volume. I hear the only solution is to keep it playing for a while?

Edit: Ok so it finally solved itself (kinda, not entirely but alot better than before) after playing constantly for like 6 hrs.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #23,850 of 24,807
Gosh I've been loving my SR-202s. Even though the FR graph is probably farther away from neutral than my Mad Dogs, they just sound better and more neutral than the MDs, even though I payed more for the Dogs than my 2020 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back