The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #23,806 of 24,807
My signature problem goes on
angry_face.gif

I have yesterday had the issue for more than a half hour then i plug off the headphone and was very unlucky. Today testet again and it worked fine after only a few seconds.
confused_face(1).gif
The problem is the left channel have not enough basslevel but that comes back after a minute or not at all. I doesn´t think the membrane is defect, i have no distortion or others in sound.

What is the problem? Is it the cable or a static issue in the driver?

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #23,807 of 24,807
:frowning2:

The advice given to me when my 404's had imbalance is:

Let it play music for 2 weeks to let it fix itself as there could be parasitic left over charge on the membrane. What's really funny, is every single time channel imbalance occur with these headphones, it's always the damn left channel. WHY????????????

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #23,808 of 24,807
Quote:
Actually, the 202s don't improve all that much with better amps (I went from the 252 to the KGSSHV). There's a bit more control, but I can't say it's a lot better. All that said, the 202 is one of my favorites and I go back to it often even with my 007 for a different flavour (headstage is smaller but that intimacy sometimes work with certain music).

What don't you like about it, though? Also, what's your source? That probably is a big variable.

I think the 202s improve a fair bit with a better amp but I suppose it's subjective.

Quote:
I am inclined to believe the same. I have heard the sound signature of the HE60 to be compared to the SR-Omega at least once, but the problem is (1) picking up a pair at a decent price that (2) works and doesn't have O2 drivers and (3) acquiring amplification that would do them justice.

Justifying the incremental expense has already become an issue as my T1/HE60 combo is already far too revealing of my recordings (I listen mostly to nu-jazz and instrumental hip-hop tracks). Pretty sure the SR-Omega or 009 would butcher them and I can't justify the outlay when I don't listen to well-recorded jazz or classical on the regular. Even some of the best-sounding electronic albums I have (e.g. Old Raves End) pale in comparison to Jazz at the Pawnshop as far as sound is concerned, but I don't listen to stuff like the latter at all.

I anticipate my next and final step being something like an eXStatA hybrid or KGSSHV, then no more.
redface.gif

The HE60s are awesome. A pair sold on ebay a few days ago $12xx but it wasnt in the best condition.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #23,809 of 24,807
Wow somebody got an amazing deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HE60-HEV70-Electrostatic-Baby-Orpheus-/200931951781?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ec87a44a5&nma=true&si=nWQRkyK1Rq74arITzrDoR5kKpB0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #23,811 of 24,807
Quote:
I came back to the headphone world after playing around with IEMs. So I'm not too clear with other dynamic phones. I only vaguely remember the HD800/LCD2 from memory. It's not that I don't like the 202s. But after receiving my system, I had to ask a: "Is that it?" I don't feel the Stax magic. Maybe I'm being a little too picky for something that is only a basic Stax.

Right now I'm feeding the 252 from a Cirrus Logic Flagship DAC chip. 
Engaging...sort of
Detailed-> I find IEMs easier to concnetrate on the details
Non fatiguing-> I felt fatigued after 1 hour somehow... violins, cymbals, high pitched vocals become more shrill like than musical. 

I find all this strange. That I would feel that this relatively neutral headphone would sound bright to me when the KAEDE I use (which is apparently treble knives) sounds fine.

Just try the Stax SR507 with 006TS in a shop. It's nothing you describe and would really convert you!

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #23,812 of 24,807
Quote:
Just try the Stax SR507 with 006TS in a shop. It's nothing you describe and would really convert you!

Anyone know where I could try Staxes out in the US? 

Besides the usual meets.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #23,813 of 24,807
Quote:
Wow somebody got an amazing deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HE60-HEV70-Electrostatic-Baby-Orpheus-/200931951781?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ec87a44a5&nma=true&si=nWQRkyK1Rq74arITzrDoR5kKpB0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's a sick deal. What the...
basshead.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #23,815 of 24,807
Quote:

I think the 202s improve a fair bit with a better amp but I suppose it's subjective.

I really was expecting it too, as well. But after finishing with the KGSSHV (hours of work and all!) I was expecting a big jump as well, but I wasn't getting it. I did get much better bass (tight), but that's about it. All said, I still really like the 202s... "intimate" is the best term I can use to describe it and I actually think it's slightly better than my 007 on the realiser (I haven't got the microphones to do the HPEQs yet, though, so this may change)

This is just me... but when I tried the SR507 (albeit on a 323 I think?) it was definitely brighter than the 202. If the 202s caused him to feel fatigued... I'd think the 507s would probably "slaughter" him :p If it's not the source, I'm inclined to agree with Defcon and think the Stax sound signature may not be what he likes. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #23,816 of 24,807
The Headroom unit is mine. According to Mike O from Headroom they were sitting unused for about a decade. :xf_eek:

I just had to replace the pleather bits, get them Stax-terminated and now the main issue outstanding with the headphones is that the right driver is about half (!) as loud as the left.

I read some pretty scary stuff about how if an imbalance is permanent (played them about three hours per day for a week without the right channel showing improvement), it might indicate that the driver is on its way out. I know I observed some buzzing in the right channel earlier so I don't doubt that it arced at some point in its life. It sounds fine when I compensate with balance controls but the thought of the driver going kaput makes me uneasy.

Is channel imbalance always a one-way ticket to driver death? I haven't really read any anecdotes about an electrostatic driver dying in such a fashion.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #23,817 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
Your words in God's ear :wink:  

Yes, almost everything I write on Head-Fi is only worthy of God's ear. It's too brilliant for stupid mortal men.

Being mortal makes us less worthy in any way? How discriminating, almost racism!

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #23,818 of 24,807
Quote:
The Headroom unit is mine. According to Mike O from Headroom they were sitting unused for about a decade.
redface.gif

I just had to replace the pleather bits, get them Stax-terminated and now the main issue outstanding with the headphones is that the right driver is about half (!) as loud as the left.

I read some pretty scary stuff about how if an imbalance is permanent (played them about three hours per day for a week without the right channel showing improvement), it might indicate that the driver is on its way out. I know I observed some buzzing in the right channel earlier so I don't doubt that it arced at some point in its life. It sounds fine when I compensate with balance controls but the thought of the driver going kaput makes me uneasy.

Is channel imbalance always a one-way ticket to driver death? I haven't really read any anecdotes about an electrostatic driver dying in such a fashion.

Nice, at least you have a spare HE60 since your current one is sort of borked with imbalance.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #23,819 of 24,807
Quote:
Nice, at least you have a spare HE60 since your current one is sort of borked with imbalance.

Oh, this HE60 is my only one. At least I have the HEV70 so Sennheiser can service it for me.

Imbalance is in the order of ~8dB quieter on the right channel. I suppose I'll take a wait-and-see approach with what happens -- I'll be opening the right earcup soon enough to replace a torn rubber band anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back