The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #19,426 of 24,807
Jack probably doesn't even have mine yet. ):

Whatever. Alex said I can borrow his 009s 'til mine get here. :D

Quote:
So my ETA for my SR009/SR727II is early next week. Looks like my new Stax rig will be shipping out later this week. Really looking forward to giving them a run and hoping that they can get over the hump my previous e-stat experiences couldn't. 

Based on the comments I'm hearing, I'm fairly confident they will. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #19,427 of 24,807
So my ETA for my SR009/SR727II is early next week. Looks like my new Stax rig will be shipping out later this week. Really looking forward to giving them a run and hoping that they can get over the hump my previous e-stat experiences couldn't. 

Based on the comments I'm hearing, I'm fairly confident they will. 
MH,outta curiosity, what source are you planning to use with it?

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #19,428 of 24,807
Quote:
MH,outta curiosity, what source are you planning to use with it?

In terms of source? (See my sig). 
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #19,429 of 24,807
In terms of source? (See my sig). :smile:

Actually, I sorta saw that before, bug noticed that you had listed components "not yet received", & I'd be surprised if you used the HeadAmp Pico DAC to drive the Stax. I'd guess the W4S (ES9018) then.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #19,430 of 24,807
Quote:
Actually, I sorta saw that before, bug noticed that you had listed components "not yet received", & I'd be surprised if you used the HeadAmp Pico DAC to drive the Stax. I'd guess the W4S (ES9018) then.

That would be one versatile portable amp if the Pico could drive stats. 
smile.gif
 So it will be mostly CDs on my Cambridge Audio CD player - W4S DAC-2 (ES9018) - SR727II - SR009s.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #19,431 of 24,807
Quote:

That would be one versatile portable amp if the Pico could drive stats. 
smile.gif
 So it will be mostly CDs on my Cambridge Audio CD player - W4S DAC-2 (ES9018) - SR727II - SR009s.
Well, believe it or not occasionally I do use my iBasso DX100 to drive my SRM-727A and it's not too bad actually!!

Anyhow, the reason I asked is that there's another thread where a chap is using an Accuphase setup & finds the 727/009 Stax setup too bright for his tastes.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #19,432 of 24,807
Quote:
Well, believe it or not occasionally I do use my iBasso DX100 to drive my SRM-727A and it's not too bad actually!!
Anyhow, the reason I asked is that there's another thread where a chap is using an Accuphase setup & finds the 727/009 Stax setup too bright for his tastes.

We shall see early next week how they sound....but I'm hoping arnaud is closer to correct:

Humm, so maybe we are not as few as it seems using the 009 with a stax amp. That makes that many deaf users among the stax mafia, eh :wink:. I am still looking forward to hearing something like the LL or Electra though (the T2 I can forget it I guess)...

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #19,434 of 24,807
It's like a third world country over there. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I swear the first thing I would do if I win the lotto is place an order for the SR009 with overnight shipping from Japan and paying full import duties....one could just dream..meanwhile I'll have to live with my Yulong D18 DAC - Mjolnir - balanced HD800

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #19,435 of 24,807
I realize this thread has morphed into mostly talk about the 007 and 009 over the past several hundred pages, but I am contemplating buying the 407 or 507 with either the 323S or the 006t and I could really use some guidance. There are scant few posts about these headsets or amps as the conversation always moves toward the top end. I found only two brief posts on the forum where someone with real experience has compared the 407 to the 507. Seems in the few posts I have found people usually go for used gear instead of the 323S or the 006T. I have nothing against used gear but even used 007 plus an amp are over my budget. Sooo....if there is anyone here in the Stax Temple who could advise a Stax newbie who does not like donating large sums of money to a lost cause, please share your advice. I just cannot manage the over $3k setups and I do not have a speaker amp to go with a cheap adapter. There are so few posts on this forum about the 407 I get the feeling Stax could have skipped that model. The easiest thing for me would be to buy the 4170 combo with the 407 and the 006T but I have a T1 setup now and I am concerned that I would be buying a lower end system then the one I currently have. I do plan on keeping the T1 with my tube amp as my base system as it serves me well and sound real good. I listen mostly to classical, jazz and vocals. Any advise would be welcome. If you are wondering why I don't just audition this stuff please note where I live. Not easy to pop over to the local Stax dealer from here without turning it into a major expedition. Listening in the dealer environment here is mostly useless anyway. I would like to keep  this experience under $2500.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #19,436 of 24,807
I can't advise you on the SR-407 or SR-507 specifically since I've only used the "lower-end" models (more specifically, an SR-Lambda with rebuilt drivers, an SR-202, and a SR-303 whose right driver split apart and doesn't sound right when glued back together).

However, I can say that the various Lambda models in general do sound very good from what I've experienced, skewing toward a bright signature. They don't all sound alike, though; I definitely noticed a more prominent midrange on the SR-Lambda vs. the SR-202, without the latter's raspy texture (made even more prominent when EQing the midrange up). Much better for vocals, and most of the music I listen to is vocal. Too bad the original Normal bias SR-Lambda has been out of production for a couple of decades...

In other news, my usual eBay heads-up: SR-Lambda + SRD-7/SB for...$355 + 14 shipping, with over 5 days left?

Ouch, my wallet. (Well, it shouldn't be hurting since there's no way I can hope to afford that, but the mere thought stings.) How much higher will the bidding get?

SR-Sigma Pro with box, $900 starting bid, $1,000 Buy-It-Now, free shipping

If you've got the dosh, this might be your chance to get a Sigma.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #19,437 of 24,807
My Lambda Pro Signatures have what I would call a treble emphasis, but it is not at all like the lifted highs from my Sennheiser HD-800's.  I can listen to the Stax pretty loud, whereas if I listen to the HD-800's at the same SPL  it hurts my ears, because of the increased treble output from the HD-800's.  So, the Lambda's- 'voiced' to favor the highs, but not an exaggerated treble.  People have talked of the Stax high frequencies sounding "etched" and I understand what they mean although I would say that "etched" is perhaps just a little too strong a word.  It's part of their "flavor" and I don't consider it to be so prominent as to be considered truly a flaw. The 'etch' is there, but I find I can just relax and listen past it, in a manner of speaking. If it were truly "nasty treble peakiness" I don't think I would like them, but the treble-forward sound is not so jarring as all that.

I really like my Lambdas on the SRM-T1.  They are keepers.  I also have 007's, and at one time I had "plain" Lambda Pros (as opposed to my Lambda Pro Signature.)  I sold the "plain" Lambdas, they sounded very similar to the Signatures, with the Signatures sounding a little bit more detailed.   Since they sounded so similar, I kept the ones that I liked just slightly better and sold the others.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #19,438 of 24,807
Quote:
I can't advise you on the SR-407 or SR-507 specifically since I've only used the "lower-end" models (more specifically, an SR-Lambda with rebuilt drivers, an SR-202, and a SR-303 whose right driver split apart and doesn't sound right when glued back together).

However, I can say that the various Lambda models in general do sound very good from what I've experienced, skewing toward a bright signature. They don't all sound alike, though; I definitely noticed a more prominent midrange on the SR-Lambda vs. the SR-202, without the latter's raspy texture (made even more prominent when EQing the midrange up). Much better for vocals, and most of the music I listen to is vocal. Too bad the original Normal bias SR-Lambda has been out of production for a couple of decades...

In other news, my usual eBay heads-up: SR-Lambda + SRD-7/SB for...$355 + 14 shipping, with over 5 days left?

Ouch, my wallet. (Well, it shouldn't be hurting since there's no way I can hope to afford that, but the mere thought stings.) How much higher will the bidding get?

SR-Sigma Pro with box, $900 starting bid, $1,000 Buy-It-Now, free shipping

If you've got the dosh, this might be your chance to get a Sigma.

I'm going to assume there was some humor in your post since the models and condition of the Ebay jewels you posted are antiques. I don't doubt that they would be good for someone but I am not that adventurous. I will only buy used if I can find something recent and in near new condition or I will just buy new. I have a $2500 budget so I don't want to feel like I am sneaking through the back door to get a look at ten year old equipment. I would even consider a 3-4 year old system if I felt I was stepping up for my investment. I want to experience the Stax magic without the pain of reconditioning old gear. If $2500 won't get me into the Stax Temple I will just curl up with my T1's.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #19,439 of 24,807
Quote:
I'm going to assume there was some humor in your post since the models and condition of the Ebay jewels you posted are antiques. I don't doubt that they would be good for someone but I am not that adventurous. I will only buy used if I can find something recent and in near new condition or I will just buy new. I have a $2500 budget so I don't want to feel like I am sneaking through the back door to get a look at ten year old equipment. I would even consider a 3-4 year old system if I felt I was stepping up for my investment. I want to experience the Stax magic without the pain of reconditioning old gear. If $2500 won't get me into the Stax Temple I will just curl up with my T1's.

Try get a 507 & SRM600limited, it's the best combo at this price range($2500)
they sound sweet, musical & neutral,

If you can DIY, you may get a used T1/T1S/006t,then do some recap, replace the aged electrolytic capacitors.

The 80's old lambda series are great too,there are some magic in their sound,which does not exist in today's expensive cans

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #19,440 of 24,807
Quote:

Try get a 507 & SRM600limited, it's the best combo at this price range($2500)
they sound sweet, musical & neutral,

If you can DIY, you may get a used T1/T1S/006t,then do some recap, replace the aged electrolytic capacitors.

The 80's old lambda series are great too,there are some magic in their sound,which does not exist in today's expensive cans

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a doctor in Bangkok who has exactly that setup for sale. I saw it on one of the Thai bulletin boards today. I jumped on the phone when I saw it but he explained he already had two appointments to show it. He would call me if they don't buy. Fingers crossed but I am sure they will buy. Used Stax here is very rare especially in good condition. With the import duty and VAT everything sells for more here than in America. Would cost me right around $3000 to buy that new from the Bangkok dealer. The doctor is selling his 1 year old for $2000. I just wasn't fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back