The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #19,412 of 24,807
Am getting , a SRM-T1W.
It has adjustable bais, but whats the range ? Does it go beyond 580v?
I also have the esp 950, thats why am asking.

Stereophile review of LNS and T1w says the range is "between 480 and 580" . Is it true?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #19,413 of 24,807
no srm-t1w that i have ever seen has adjustable bias
unless it has some kind of modification.

What you could do (and this is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons)
is to increase the offset voltage with respect to ground, which
decreases the 580v bias.

The reverse of what mikhail did to get the bias in the es1.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #19,414 of 24,807
Pretty much where I'm trying to get to. So close to being there. I've got the rest of my system planned out after this and it's pretty much all from local guys, so I'm close to taking a big break from Head-fi and buying a crates worth of music every time I get the chance.

Quote:
Seeing as lately I've been listening to nothing but classical, I think it's about time to get the Stax and get away from this site for a while
wink.gif
. The world of ultimate clarity awaits.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #19,415 of 24,807
no srm-t1w that i have ever seen has adjustable bias
unless it has some kind of modification.

What you could do (and this is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons)
is to increase the offset voltage with respect to ground, which
decreases the 580v bias.

The reverse of what mikhail did to get the bias in the es1.

Quote from stereophile LNS&T1 review

To the right of the output selector is a rotary input selector. The other front-panel difference between the T1S and the T1W is that the latter has a bias control next to the two pro only connections. This allows you to adjust the bias of these outputs between 480 and 580V. It comes set to 580V, and that's how I left it for my listening.

am i missing something? ( cause am new to the electrostat world)

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #19,418 of 24,807
Quote:
If I could manage to snag one with an SRD-7 around $300-320, would that be a decent value? I'm really trying to pinch my pennies here so a brand new Stax is not really an option. However, I also want to get a product that can outperform (at least in some ways) my current headphones. After going the dynamic and ortho route, I get the feeling that stats are the right technology for me.

$300-320 with an SRD-7 would be worth it if it's in working order. It might be more expensive than they used to go for on average, but even at that price, they'll still punch well above their price point.

Just remember that those SRD-series transformer boxes need speaker-level input (maybe barring odd models like the SRD-P), so if you don't have a speaker amp of some sort like an integrated receiver handy, that's extra money you have to spend. (Fortunately, speaker amps are much more common and affordable than dedicated Stax amps.)

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #19,424 of 24,807
Quote:
Smaller transformers on the SRD-6 and only one output.  Same bias supply or very similar (depends on the actual version)

Does this correlate to degraded performance or just less gain on the amp? The one output should be fine as I never see myself using more than one 'stat at a time. Sorry if I sound ignorant, just being careful with my money here.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #19,425 of 24,807
So my ETA for my SR009/SR727II is early next week. Looks like my new Stax rig will be shipping out later this week. Really looking forward to giving them a run and hoping that they can get over the hump my previous e-stat experiences couldn't. 

Based on the comments I'm hearing, I'm fairly confident they will. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back