The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #18,872 of 24,807
Truth be told I'm feeling a bit disillusioned as of late with regard to this hobby, and in response I feel an urge to stick with my favorites and ignore everything else. I suppose the well worn expression "quality over quantity" applies.

You're just lost in the Electrostatic Vortex. It happens when one crosses over the Electrostatic Event Horizon, which generally results from using a well-driven SR-007 or equivalent phone over any lengthy period of time. Unfortunately, no force in the known universe can extricate you from within the Vortex, but such is life.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #18,873 of 24,807
Quote:
Also, now that my living situation has changed, my interests have shifted back into the realm of speakers. I want to play around with some full-range drivers like Super 8 Alnicos and some low power, pure Class A amps. I feel like there's the potential with FR for a hell of a lot of sound quality for the money involved.

This sounds like a great idea, and I wish I had the space to pair some high-efficiency speakers with my Class A amp.  It always makes me a bit depressed hearing speakers and going back to headphones, with how much gets lost without the speaker soundstaging capabilities.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #18,874 of 24,807
Quote:
You're just lost in the Electrostatic Vortex. It happens when one crosses over the Electrostatic Event Horizon, which generally results from using a well-driven SR-007 or equivalent phone over any lengthy period of time. Unfortunately, no force in the known universe can extricate you from within the Vortex, but such is life.

So true. 
redface.gif
  I would get a HE60 over the HE90 or both as they are very different. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #18,875 of 24,807
I just got an SR-303 today for cheap, knowing that there might be something wrong with it.

As it turns out, the right driver was separated between the inward stator and the brass diaphragm spacer. I can't say I've ever seen a Stax driver split like that without someone intentionally doing so, and this set was clearly untampered with. I see no obvious marks on the housing that suggest it had a nasty drop, either.

What would cause the glue to just fail like that? One theory is that it was really roughed up during shipping beyond what the glue could take the last time it was shipped out, even as well-packed as it was.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #18,876 of 24,807
I know what you mean. I've always had a preference for a few excellent "do-it-all" headphones over a ton of average ones that are good for only very specific types of music. Also, now that my living situation has changed, my interests have shifted back into the realm of speakers. I want to play around with some full-range drivers like Super 8 Alnicos and some low power, pure Class A amps. I feel like there's the potential with FR for a hell of a lot of sound quality for the money involved. Crossovers? We don't need no steenkin' crossovers.

I will put in my usual pitch for the Hammer Dynamics Super 12, since I assume you will be building enclosures. I mention it often because they are under the radar and I have never heard better, or even anything quite like them. For good information general and specific, have you been to fullrangedriver.com? Don't miss the forums, the go to place on the web for this topic.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #18,878 of 24,807
Quote:
I will put in my usual pitch for the Hammer Dynamics Super 12, since I assume you will be building enclosures. I mention it often because they are under the radar and I have never heard better, or even anything quite like them. For good information general and specific, have you been to fullrangedriver.com? Don't miss the forums, the go to place on the web for this topic.

That's still technically a 2-way with a crossover. I'm looking for more of a monitor, and the Super 8 is about as big as is reasonably practical to fit in a stand mount enclosure. I also want the driver wired directly to the binding posts.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #18,879 of 24,807
I tossed the crossover and ironed out the response with a transconductance amp. Single 2mfd caps feed the tweeters. Most of the crossover is a notch filter. No eight inch driver can do what the Hammers do, but the older Omega units are the best smaller speakers I have heard. Didn't know you were cramped for space.

BTW, my drivers are wired direct. Transconductance has its own rules, and that is one of them. Even if you do use a modifying circuit, the amp hooks up directly to the terminals of the speaker. Networks run in parallel, not series.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #18,880 of 24,807
Quote:
I just got an SR-303 today for cheap, knowing that there might be something wrong with it.

As it turns out, the right driver was separated between the inward stator and the brass diaphragm spacer. I can't say I've ever seen a Stax driver split like that without someone intentionally doing so, and this set was clearly untampered with. I see no obvious marks on the housing that suggest it had a nasty drop, either.

What would cause the glue to just fail like that? One theory is that it was really roughed up during shipping beyond what the glue could take the last time it was shipped out, even as well-packed as it was.

It can happen when they get a hard knock.  One of the reasons why Stax finally stopped gluing the drivers in the latest models. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #18,881 of 24,807
I glued that right driver back together carefully. So far, it's holding together, but there's still a channel imbalance even though I made sure there are no visible gaps in the driver assembly. At first, I thought the right driver had a veil to the sound, but a bit of fiddling with balance controls revealed that it's just running much quieter.

Is there still any hope for that driver? I saw no obvious damage to either of the stators or the diaphragm, but electrostatic drivers are precision instruments, after all.

On another note, these SR-303 pads are much softer than what I'm used to, coming from the SR-202 and a 30-year-old SR-Lambda. I can't believe it's pleather! Really helps with comfort even with the slightly higher clamping force of the Nova/numerical-style headband/arc.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #18,882 of 24,807
I'm sure others here know more than me, but unplug them overnight and then leave them plugged in for a couple days. Stats are weird in the way they hold a charge.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #18,883 of 24,807
Does anyone have the dimensions of the SR-009 please? I'm travelling at the moment and don't have access to mine and am thinking of picking up a storage/transport case that can hold it. Most likely a Pelican case of some sort but not knowing the SR-009 dimensions, I don't know which Pelican case to get.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #18,884 of 24,807
There you go! Seems like you're enjoying your time back home (mini-meet and all) !

Good luck with the pelican case!

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #18,885 of 24,807
Quote:

Even though I'd be acquiring a few more specific pieces, I'd ideally still like to sell off most of my collection which has grown quite large over the years.

I'm sure the SR-009 outclasses the SR-Omega in most respects, but I'm definitely interested in even subtle differences in sound between the two.

Oh, I've been in the deep end for quite some time now as a collector; I'm not jumping in but rather looking to climb out at this point. Or at least slow down.

Truth be told I'm feeling a bit disillusioned as of late with regard to this hobby, and in response I feel an urge to stick with my favorites and ignore everything else. I suppose the well worn expression "quality over quantity" applies.

The HE60 has been an object of desire for me for a while now, but for one reason or another it has yet to come into my possession. On the other hand finding an Orpheus set wouldn't be very hard for me at this point, as one of my head-fi buddies is planning to sell his, so I could get an HE90 and HEV90 for about $22,000 USD if I wanted. There's another set I could get for about $31,000 USD right now.

However at this point I've got too many other expenses on the horizon. I'm also saving my acquisition of the Orpheus specifically for a later date, as it's something of a crown jewel from a collector's stand point, and there are still other treasures I'd like to seek out before that point. When I feel the time is right to really settle down for a long stretch then I'll be more inclined to invest in one.

My HE-60 sound quite similar to my SR-009, with slightly less warmth and bass, but certainly not lacking in that regard.  The clarity, speed, large out of head experience, and the ability to disappear and not sound like speakers next to the ears are what draws me to them over and over.  However, once I got the SR-009 I got all that and more, and most of my other stats are getting a lot less attention. I still don't think I'll ever part with the 007 and HE-60, but the SR-009 rule.

The SR-009 from my KGSS are wonderful, but from my hot-rodded DIY KGBH they sound simply stunning, and the bass impact and slam at high volumes surprised me.  Even with the KGBH the 007 can't perform like this.  I'd be curious to read what you think about the HE-60 when you get a pair, especially with a more powerful amp like the BHSE (which unfortunately requires an adapter or re-terminating them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back