The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #18,857 of 24,807
well, my willpower succumbed and instead of waiting until the end of the year as planned, the 10% off everything sale at elusive disc forced my fingers to hit the enter key..........and then it was done, i'd ordered an 009........ even though the web page said it was out of stock, but what the heck, if they don't charge it to my credit card until it is back in stock and they can ship, that's ok.

imagine my surprise when the 009 was delivered the next day (tuesday) after ordering them monday afternoon (with next day delivery option)................wow, do these sound sweet with the BHSE!  in my mind, i had thought of comparing my current 404LE with the 009 and carefully identifying the gains of one vs. the other, but i can't go back when listening to the detail on the 009s is so smile-inducing.  i love the 404LE but the 009 are just in a different universe.

my wallet is now officially a uni-directional receptacle for at least the rest of the year (i.e. i can sell off old stuff and put money in but no more money going out for audio expenditures this year.............and this time i mean it, really i do!!!!)

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #18,859 of 24,807
Quote:
well, my willpower succumbed and instead of waiting until the end of the year as planned, the 10% off everything sale at elusive disc forced my fingers to hit the enter key..........and then it was done, i'd ordered an 009........ even though the web page said it was out of stock, but what the heck, if they don't charge it to my credit card until it is back in stock and they can ship, that's ok.

imagine my surprise when the 009 was delivered the next day (tuesday) after ordering them monday afternoon (with next day delivery option)................wow, do these sound sweet with the BHSE!  in my mind, i had thought of comparing my current 404LE with the 009 and carefully identifying the gains of one vs. the other, but i can't go back when listening to the detail on the 009s is so smile-inducing.  i love the 404LE but the 009 are just in a different universe.

my wallet is now officially a uni-directional receptacle for at least the rest of the year (i.e. i can sell off old stuff and put money in but no more money going out for audio expenditures this year.............and this time i mean it, really i do!!!!)

And I thought the Lambda Pros I have been listening to had smile-inducing detail...

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #18,860 of 24,807
Quote:

Congrats!  I hope you enjoy them thoroughly.  And sorry for your wallet.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #18,861 of 24,807
Quote:

Congrats and Im jealous 

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #18,862 of 24,807
I received my SR-009 on my birthday , a day early from the scheduled 2 day delivery. I was all set to go to work that day but felt a headache ( wasn't able to get enough sleep from the anticipation ), and decided to report for work in the afternoon.  Just as I was about to get ready to leave , the doorbell rang and to my surprise the  Fedex man showed up with a box  ( with Woo Audio written on it ) . He said it came in a day early and rather than taking it out of truck , took the chance of delivering to my place (Signature was required) . Truly, there is a God

I left for work ,after thanking the guy and signing for the box , so happy in the knowledge that I will be having a whole weekend of listening to the Stax .

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #18,863 of 24,807
Congratulations to those who have recently found an SR-009 in their lives. It is truly one of the greatest achievements thus far in the world of headphones.

My view of this hobby seems to be shifting lately. My fondness for collecting is giving way to a desire for minimalism, and as such I've decided to down-size my collection quite a bit, to focus primarily on the things I enjoy most.

I've got an SR-Omega coming my way very soon. Along with the SR-007mk1 and SR-009, I will use it with my KGSS now and eventually with the BHSE I plan to put in an order for shortly. I'd also like to pick up an HE60 at some point and send it in to Sennheiser for a check-up.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #18,864 of 24,807
i strongly support headphone monogamy, for more than just financial considerations.

'this way, madness lies'.............and i'm crazy enough without multiple systems competing for my affections.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #18,865 of 24,807
Quote:
My fondness for collecting is giving way to a desire for minimalism, and as such I've decided to down-size my collection quite a bit, to focus primarily on the things I enjoy most.

I've got an SR-Omega coming my way very soon. Along with the SR-007mk1 and SR-009, I will use it with my KGSS now and eventually with the BHSE I plan to put in an order for shortly. I'd also like to pick up an HE60 at some point and send it in to Sennheiser for a check-up.

You call that downsizing? 
biggrin.gif

Also, congrats on the SR-Omega.  That's a rare find.  It'd be great to hear how it compares to the SR-009.  I believe Spritzer mentioned that owning the SR-009 obviates the need for the SR-Omega (I think he said the 009s do everything the Omegas do, but better), so I'm curious to see if your opinion agrees or disagrees with his.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #18,866 of 24,807
Quote:
Congratulations to those who have recently found an SR-009 in their lives. It is truly one of the greatest achievements thus far in the world of headphones.

My view of this hobby seems to be shifting lately. My fondness for collecting is giving way to a desire for minimalism, and as such I've decided to down-size my collection quite a bit, to focus primarily on the things I enjoy most.

Since your jumping in the deep end with all the top headphones, skip the HE60 and get the HE90.  if you can find one that is.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #18,868 of 24,807
Quote:
You call that downsizing? 
biggrin.gif

Even though I'd be acquiring a few more specific pieces, I'd ideally still like to sell off most of my collection which has grown quite large over the years.

Quote:
Also, congrats on the SR-Omega.  That's a rare find.  It'd be great to hear how it compares to the SR-009.  I believe Spritzer mentioned that owning the SR-009 obviates the need for the SR-Omega (I think he said the 009s do everything the Omegas do, but better), so I'm curious to see if your opinion agrees or disagrees with his.

I'm sure the SR-009 outclasses the SR-Omega in most respects, but I'm definitely interested in even subtle differences in sound between the two.

Quote:
Since your jumping in the deep end with all the top headphones, skip the HE60 and get the HE90.  if you can find one that is.

Oh, I've been in the deep end for quite some time now as a collector; I'm not jumping in but rather looking to climb out at this point. Or at least slow down.

Truth be told I'm feeling a bit disillusioned as of late with regard to this hobby, and in response I feel an urge to stick with my favorites and ignore everything else. I suppose the well worn expression "quality over quantity" applies.

The HE60 has been an object of desire for me for a while now, but for one reason or another it has yet to come into my possession. On the other hand finding an Orpheus set wouldn't be very hard for me at this point, as one of my head-fi buddies is planning to sell his, so I could get an HE90 and HEV90 for about $22,000 USD if I wanted. There's another set I could get for about $31,000 USD right now.

However at this point I've got too many other expenses on the horizon. I'm also saving my acquisition of the Orpheus specifically for a later date, as it's something of a crown jewel from a collector's stand point, and there are still other treasures I'd like to seek out before that point. When I feel the time is right to really settle down for a long stretch then I'll be more inclined to invest in one.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #18,870 of 24,807
Quote:
Truth be told I'm feeling a bit disillusioned as of late with regard to this hobby, and in response I feel an urge to stick with my favorites and ignore everything else. I suppose the well worn expression "quality over quantity" applies.

The HE60 has been an object of desire for me for a while now, but for one reason or another it has yet to come into my possession. On the other hand finding an Orpheus set wouldn't be very hard for me at this point, as one of my head-fi buddies is planning to sell his, so I could get an HE90 and HEV90 for about $22,000 USD if I wanted. There's another set I could get for about $31,000 USD right now.

However at this point I've got too many other expenses on the horizon. I'm also saving my acquisition of the Orpheus specifically for a later date, as it's something of a crown jewel from a collector's stand point, and there are still other treasures I'd like to seek out before that point. When I feel the time is right to really settle down for a long stretch then I'll be more inclined to invest in one.

I know what you mean. I've always had a preference for a few excellent "do-it-all" headphones over a ton of average ones that are good for only very specific types of music. Also, now that my living situation has changed, my interests have shifted back into the realm of speakers. I want to play around with some full-range drivers like Super 8 Alnicos and some low power, pure Class A amps. I feel like there's the potential with FR for a hell of a lot of sound quality for the money involved. Crossovers? We don't need no steenkin' crossovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back