The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #18,092 of 24,807

Quote:
F = fastblo. T = slowblo. L = glass.

Would be interesting to throw in a wattage meter / logger for GES to determine best fuse for it.

For fun: DIY T2 turn-on current. Do the math to get watts. Muhahahaha!

What's the time scale there?  How wide is that giant spike?  Just a guess, but maybe a 4 or 5 amp slo-blo might be able to cope with that. A 5 amp slo-blo should be able to handle 30~35 amps for 1 second.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #18,093 of 24,807
first current spike is the filament turn on.
second spike is the high voltage turn on, and its really only about .3 seconds

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #18,094 of 24,807
I had some issues with Rat Shack 4A sloblos ( I think they were really more medium blow) but no issues with a higher quality one. As KG said, the spike is really not that bad - compared to some household appliances. It is fun though to look at and smile.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #18,095 of 24,807
I just received my new SR-009 and SRM-727II today. They sound fantastic but I have a question that it might be already addressed here but I am not sure.
When wearing the SR-009 if I apply a little pressure on the cups or even is I am just wearing them and I open or move my mouth some there is a crackling noise. if I just wear them and listen normally everything is alright.

It seems like if the vacuum pressure created between my head (ears) and the inside of the cups changes is when the crackling appears.

Have other SR-009 owners experience a similar issue? Does anybody knows anything about this?

Thanks.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #18,096 of 24,807
Search "Stax Fart" in the forums here - and I'm so not joking here.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #18,097 of 24,807
O2's must still be the best Stax for playing pretty much any genre sound great and never really fatigue? I really don't listen to that much classical but I really like how much space between instruments vocals etc I get with my 02's. In a way a bad recording is still a perfect recording and can make out pretty much everything going on better than any headphone I have heard so far. I sometimes wonder if the treble may be too tamed or the sound stage too narrow but not really because to me Stax really tried to do it all with this headphone and do it excellent with minimal trade offs. So far I haven't ran in to any recordings I feel I can fault them for not having satisfactory treble and I haven't heard anything smoother with the lack of "Sssssss" in the highs. So if it is a trade off my listening experience is much improved as a result. Same kind of feeling I have with the sound stage. What is better having this huge sound stage that is always there on any recording or one that is smaller and with more intimate setting or when you feel your in the recording booth with the artist? Sound stage will definitely open up when its on the recording and grateful that sound is in front and doesn't come from behind the ear. I'm sure the 009's are great in a lot of area's but do you think they are as well rounded with all genres as the 007's particularly do they ever have "Ssssss" in the highs?

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #18,098 of 24,807
Thanks for the advice purrin and everyone else.  I went to Radio Shack and got a bag of 3A 250V sloblo fuses, and my GES is working great again!  I wonder why the fuse went, as all the other audio stuff on the transformer is powering on and working fine.

jaycalgary: I found the 009s fatiguing to listen to over time on my GES, but I'm definitely in the minority.  The detail and speed are exceptional on the 009s, but it doesn't sound as musical as the 007s to me.  I have a hunch that I might be mentally dialed into my 007s, and if I lived with the 009 for a few months it might change?

The 009 is a tough one for me because it excels at all the subjects, but the overall composite isn't a winner for me.  Maybe the BHSE will change things.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #18,100 of 24,807
The crackle with 'stats is nothing to worry about. It's a normal side-effect of changing earcup pressure and the phones are designed to deal with it.

The 007 is the best all-rounder I've found so far precisely because it's uber detailed but somewhat warm at the same time; it will show you everything that's going on on the recording without making any of it harsh or overbearing. It just excels with everything from classical to metal to electronica to gaming and movies.

The 009 is actually more linear going by the measurements, since the 007 has a treble peak around 10khz though overall the treble is recessed. However the 007 is more linear throughout the mids while the 009 has a bit of upper mid emphasis. Both are still pretty close to neutral at least compared to most headphones.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR007.pdf

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #18,101 of 24,807
Quote:
Voltage sag? Did a dryer or vacuum cleaner go on while you turned your GES on? 

No, I always keep my audio equipment off whenever I use a vacuum cleaner or do laundry.  If I use the big vacuum cleaner I actually disconnect the audio gear from the wall, but I'm not always as thorough when I use the hand vacuum.

My audio gear has a big Sola transformer in between it and the wall.  Would the transformer give any protection at all if all the devices (including the transformer) are off?

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #18,102 of 24,807
Is it a CVS or MCR unit? If you have wired your Sola correctly, if it is off it is not connected to the mains at all. A transformer needs AC to pass any current or voltage.

I'll let the experts check in with what happens when a DC current in the windings ceases. Does the collapse induce a voltage in the windings on the other side of the transformer? I don't know. Spark coil, anyone? I think ferroresonant transformers choke off spikes like that anyway.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #18,103 of 24,807

Quote:
I had some issues with Rat Shack 4A sloblos ( I think they were really more medium blow) but no issues with a higher quality one. As KG said, the spike is really not that bad - compared to some household appliances. It is fun though to look at and smile.

All them caps charging up..... high voltage on the secondary = high current on the primary, so, yep, a spike.

But I bet it's not like the light-dimming action I get when my remote-control relay feeds AC power to the 4 stereo amps that drive my 4-way active main speaker setup. CLACK- lights dim.....  some big solid state amps.  Hasn't tripped the breaker yet though.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #18,104 of 24,807
All them caps charging up..... high voltage on the secondary = high current on the primary, so, yep, a spike.

But I bet it's not like the light-dimming action I get when my remote-control relay feeds AC power to the 4 stereo amps that drive my 4-way active main speaker setup. CLACK- lights dim.....  some big solid state amps.  Hasn't tripped the breaker yet though.  :D

High voltage on the secondary? I thought the voltage of the secondary was in a fixed ratio with that of the primary.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #18,105 of 24,807
Stax  ESTA4u speakers spotted on ebay

These guys are pretty small, almost like the "Desktop Magneplanars"

Self energized, it says.  Like a pair of Koss ESP-6's  I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back