The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Sep 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5,672 of 9,235
I've got 2 Staples stores within reasonable driving distance (~40min) that are showing the Sony cans as in stock, but can't find them. 
mad.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,673 of 9,235
Quote:
I've got 2 Staples stores within reasonable driving distance (~40min) that are showing the Sony cans as in stock, but can't find them. 
mad.gif

Staples deals are always YMMV; their inventory isnt to the minute(I beleive they lag by a day, if you are checking through another store). Often times, employees will snap up the deal if they think they can flip or simply want it, which is why people usually advise not to call a store that may have stock.
Although since you're there, it doesnt hurt to ask an employee to check the backroom.

G/L on your search. I'd be in for a set, if I didnt already have an excessive collection of headphones
blink.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #5,676 of 9,235
Any more deals at Cowboom?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #5,677 of 9,235
Just got back from the Orem, UT Staples. They had one pair of the Sony DR-ZX701iP left which I got for $39.50 + tax. The seal on the box was broken but they look brand new. Can't wait to put them through their paces.

While I was there I tried a pair of Beats Solo as well as a pair of SOUL by Ludacris headphones (not sure what model) for the first time and I was blown away. People were staring at me wondering why I was laughing. They sounded absolutely, unequivocally, terrible. The SOULs actually had decent mids but the rest of the frequencies sounded like they were coming from the bottom of a muddy puddle. The Beats were the same, sans the forward mids. With both 'phones my music sounded like it had been compressed to 64k mp3 and then bumped up a few decibels. It was truly laughable. Both were no better, and possibly worse, than the HD202s I recently got for $17 and yet these monstrosities cost a gazillion times more.

They afforded me a good laugh though.... which is priceless. ;P

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #5,678 of 9,235
Quote:
Just got back from the Orem, UT Staples. They had one pair of the Sony DR-ZX701iP left which I got for $39.50 + tax. The seal on the box was broken but they look brand new. Can't wait to put them through their paces.

While I was there I tried a pair of Beats Solo as well as a pair of SOUL by Ludacris headphones (not sure what model) for the first time and I was blown away. People were staring at me wondering why I was laughing. They sounded absolutely, unequivocally, terrible. The SOULs actually had decent mids but the rest of the frequencies sounded like they were coming from the bottom of a muddy puddle. The Beats were the same, sans the forward mids. With both 'phones my music sounded like it had been compressed to 64k mp3 and then bumped up a few decibels. It was truly laughable. Both were no better, and possibly worse, than the HD202s I recently got for $17 and yet these monstrosities cost a gazillion times more.

They afforded me a good laugh though.... which is priceless. ;P

Yea the Solo's sounds absolutely sh!t.

havent tried the Ludacris ones though.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5,679 of 9,235
Quote:
I had to ask. They weren't out on display anywhere; they were in the back.

Mines were in the back too, I had to wait like 15 minutes until they finally found them.

I replaced the pad with these ones, and removed the foam between the driven and the ears and it opened up the highs and mids. Now they sound a lot clearer, listening to Black Sabbath's 2008 remastered Heaven and Hell (FLAC of course) and these phone sound really awesome! 
gs1000.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,680 of 9,235
Picked up the last NIB set of the MDR-ZX701IP at a "local" Staples. All of the stores within 30 minutes of me were out. But there was a store north of Dayton that had a pair left. So I drove up and snagged them. I have to say, first impressions are looking good. Thanks for the heads up on these. And anyone from Southwest Ohio can give the Huber Heights store a call. They still had the floor model available as of 4pm today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back