The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Mar 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4,156 of 9,235

Quote:
Here's the unboxing
L3000.gif

Beautiful video...but more importantly - was bobbling my head tot he song!! 
L3000.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4,160 of 9,235

Wow, all of the accessories and tips that come with those MDTs are worth at least $30-$50 on their own.

Now if only the order I placed on 3/2 would ship.

I got mine today :) they are beautiful and all but not for me. I will be selling them on eBay eventually. Mostly I didn't like that they don't handle fast songs as accurate as my Yamaha and the slower driver struggles a little bit keeping up.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,161 of 9,235
They are a dynamic driver if I believe - wouldn't a bit of burn in help out that issue? A driver of that type wouldn't necessarily have a fast attack when brand new.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4,162 of 9,235
Same here. I owned the Coppers for a while, and these are no better, like a side-grade of sorts. All the ear tips they throw at you are useless and uncomfortable. 

Build quality is so-so. 

I'll probably play with them for a few days and put them on eBay as well. 

On the other hand, I got the CKM99, and hope will not be disappointed. 

Quote:

I got mine today :) they are beautiful and all but not for me. I will be selling them on eBay eventually. Mostly I didn't like that they don't handle fast songs as accurate as my Yamaha and the slower driver struggles a little bit keeping up.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4,163 of 9,235
Well it seems the CKM99s are lovely it is just that their AT sound signature means they have bright lively highs. But that ain't nothing a pair of complys or hybrids can't fix. I can vouch for the others in the CKM family. Grossly overlooked iems imo. They are all fantastic minus one CKM55. Otherwise all of them CKM50, CKM33, CKM77, And even the CKS77 are all awesome for the types of sound signature they represent. I hope these CKM99s throw out a $200 worth of sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #4,165 of 9,235

Audio Technica ATH-CKM50A In-ear Headphones with 12.5mm Rare-earth Drivers and S/M/L earpieces, Black

On sale at BuyDig for $19.95 with no tax and free shipping.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATH-CKM50ABK

That's a pretty good deal for IEMs that used to be more than $50

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,167 of 9,235
Got my Monster MDTs and oh boy. I take this monstrous freaking box out of the other big shipping box and I immediately feel its heft. This isn't something I notice usually when I get a new pair of headphones (except my HD 600s) but with this, I actually feel like I'm holding $350 worth of earphones. Sure, it's a bit excessive and extravagant (okay, more than a bit) but I like it.

Doesn't hurt that they only cost about $113 either.
tongue_smile.gif

Listening impressions to follow.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #4,169 of 9,235

Quote:
Got my Monster MDTs and oh boy. I take this monstrous freaking box out of the other big shipping box and I immediately feel its heft. This isn't something I notice usually when I get a new pair of headphones (except my HD 600s) but with this, I actually feel like I'm holding $350 worth of earphones. Sure, it's a bit excessive and extravagant (okay, more than a bit) but I like it.

Doesn't hurt that they only cost about $113 either.
tongue_smile.gif

Listening impressions to follow.

wow, great price!

...For everybody else who haven't received their tributes yet, they definitely get better with at least 24 hour burn-in from my personal experience. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #4,170 of 9,235
I listened to my MDT last night for about 2 hours. My initial impression:

This is a weighty sounding IEM with very deep and plentiful bass. The mids are smooth and the treble is sparkly. Out of the box, it seems slightly congested compared with the TF10 or even the CKM50.

After I showed them to my wife, she wanted to hear what a $400 earbud sounded like. I didn't get them back for the rest of the evening.

I took some pictures as I unboxed them. I posted them in the MDT Appreciation thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/476844/monster-miles-davis-tribute-appreciation-thread/1665#post_8205067

Users who are viewing this thread

Back