The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #8,866 of 9,235
Bummer. I'm here at my local Sears (Newpark Mall, Fremont CA) and they got one PortaPros. Unfortunately, it's full price $50. I asked a store associate about the deals others were getting and why this one was not on sale. He says "the only way they will be on clearance is if they're open box".
So that's that...

bro. take it to the back. open the box. and bring it to another clerk.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #8,867 of 9,235
I personally did get into credit card trouble using Rakuten (someone in China was having a good time)...hard to be sure that it was because of them, but the timing seemed like it, wouldn't chance it again (since credit cards are so vigilant, I didn't wind up paying for anything charged, but it is a pain getting new card, notifying everyone you have connected to the card, etc)

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #8,868 of 9,235
Miles Davis Trumpet $145.30 sold through Amazon. Qualifies for Amazon Prime. Not sure if this has already been posted or if anybody cares about these at this price.
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #8,870 of 9,235

You posted deals from Rakuten a few times and dismissed the credit card fraud as a non issue because you haven't had any problems. But the fact that there are 8 or more police investigations (not including investigations from credit card companies and the better business bureau) and hundreds for report of fraud from various forums and almost every deals website has banned Rakuten deal post should be enough of a red flag to stay away from that website.

But hey if you want to risk it, than good for you

I posted one other deal from Rakuten, I believe.

I did not dismiss the CC fraud because I haven't had problems. Its because I don't give them my CC number. Maybe you misunderstood, or maybe you are not aware that with paypal, the company you order from does not get your CC number.  If there is some other security problem that I'm overlooking, or that I'm not aware of, even with paypal, I would like to know. I made several purchases from them BEFORE I knew of the allegations, and one since....all using paypal.

I don't know if Rakuten is guilty of the charges, or not.......but, I do know that many subscribe to the theory that, "where there's smoke, there's fire", and I have no problem with anyone that refuses to do business with them, as a result. Under the present circumstances, I wouldn't give them my CC number either.

The point that I'm trying to make is that if someone HAS to buy from Rakuten for whatever reason, it would be a good idea to use paypal.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #8,872 of 9,235
  I posted one other deal from Rakuten, I believe.

I did not dismiss the CC fraud because I haven't had problems. Its because I don't give them my CC number. Maybe you misunderstood, or maybe you are not aware that with paypal, the company you order from does not get your CC number.  If there is some other security problem that I'm overlooking, or that I'm not aware of, even with paypal, I would like to know. I made several purchases from them BEFORE I knew of the allegations, and one since....all using paypal.

I don't know if Rakuten is guilty of the charges, or not.......but, I do know that many subscribe to the theory that, "where there's smoke, there's fire", and I have no problem with anyone that refuses to do business with them, as a result. Under the present circumstances, I wouldn't give them my CC number either.

The point that I'm trying to make is that if someone HAS to buy from Rakuten for whatever reason, it would be a good idea to use paypal.

Some on Slick have pointed out paypal being compromised but I think it's in terms of hackers having obtain prior info. For example, "Oh, look. Person is using paypal. We have an e-mail and a password, lets try that combination at PP's website" and most of the time, that will actually work. So... what I'm saying is that just cause you didn't get charges, doesn't mean you haven't lost important info, not just of the CC variety. Name, address, and birthday with a little social engineering can lead to ID theft. Where they'll just open CC accounts under your name and charge what they want anyways. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #8,874 of 9,235

Some on Slick have pointed out paypal being compromised but I think it's in terms of hackers having obtain prior info. For example, "Oh, look. Person is using paypal. We have an e-mail and a password, lets try that combination at PP's website" and most of the time, that will actually work. So... what I'm saying is that just cause you didn't get charges, doesn't mean you haven't lost important info, not just of the CC variety. Name, address, and birthday with a little social engineering can lead to ID theft. Where they'll just open CC accounts under your name and charge what they want anyways. 

That's why I do, and probably everyone should change passwords regularly. If you frequent the internet, no matter how careful you are, you are at risk for identity theft. Of course, that's not a good reason to behave foolhardy.

Don't know how good they are, but starting tomorrow, Monster Black 133262 will be on sale at
http://www.neweggflash.com/Upcoming

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #8,876 of 9,235
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #8,880 of 9,235
No more portas at my local Sears. Checked KMart and though advertised for 29.99 in store and online they actually ring up for 25.04. So not nearly as great a deal as $12 but still cheaper than most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back