The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Dec 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #6,856 of 9,235
It's expensive to go alone! Take this:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/AKG-K702-Headphones/product/B001RCD2DW

Quote:
AKG 702 full size cans for half off at Amazon.... Is this their regular price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RCD2DW/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g23_ir05?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E8JKHQ9GW4W9W8YT95X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #6,857 of 9,235
Quote:
AKG 702 full size cans for half off at Amazon.... Is this their regular price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RCD2DW/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g23_ir05?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E8JKHQ9GW4W9W8YT95X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

More or less yeah.  At least for the past month or so. 
frown.gif
  I'm waiting and hoping for a ridiculous (and probably impossible) price drop to happen one day soon.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #6,859 of 9,235
Just a headsup guys. Be careful ordering from Mightnightbox. There are a lot of horror stories about them both on Resellerratings and Slickdeals. People have reported they sell opened / used items all the time:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MidnightBox

Then again, Groupon has horror stories too. People say they either never get their items or they take forever to arrive:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Groupon

Even though Groupon created a shipping slip for me with UPS, it still hasn't shipped. I really hope I don't get screwed. Sucks that the only places with deals on XBA-3s are shadey, risky resellers...

Also beware of Ice Monkey. I ordered the Senns when they were on sale. No word in week 3. I wrote took 3 days to answer still have not shipped. In the email they asked me three times if I wanted to cancel. Seems they do not want to sell.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #6,860 of 9,235
Quote:
Just a heads up.  I decided to look for the Sony XBA-1 at one of the Best Buy stores in Des Moines, IA.  There was one pair left, but it was marked at $53, not $36 as others have described.  I even had them price check it before I decided to buy it anyways, just in case there was a mistake.

I couldn't really argue price with them, because the XBA-1 is not on Best Buy's site, and all I had was some posts on an internet forum as "proof." 

Hey,

I went to Best Buy in Virginia. They didn't have any in stock but they looked up in what I believe is their internal system and found they were able to look at all the stores in Virginia and Maryland. They were gracious to look at the DC area stores and found a number of stores had them. If you are looking for them, in NOVA, the stores in Springfield, Potomac Mills, Sterling and Manassas (only 1 or 2 left at this store this where I got mine). When looking at the stores' inventories different stores had different prices (35-40),

The reason I say this is when I got mine at the Manassas store for $40. I asked them if they could price match other stores and they said yes, all I had to do was tell them which stores had the cheaper price which I did and they found the price and then priced match it for me. They aren't in the online store database, you need to make sure that they look in what I believe is the internal system (a manager had to do it for me at the first store). I would do this even if they have them in stock in case another store in the area has them for a cheaper price.

On that note, has anyone listened to the XBA-1 before? I know they are a single BA. How do they compare to other headphones? What about other single BAs such as A151 and AM90? Is the price, $36 with tax, worth keeping them?

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6,861 of 9,235
I got the same exact two, havent checked if both work though. Too bad I own the m6 already

Do me a favor and compare the M6 with the one you just got in the mail. I did that with the ones I had shoved in a drawer and the older ones I had indeed sounded like the garbage i remember but the new ones are passable.

I threw the old ones away and the newer ones will be passed on as a stocking stuffer. I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same experience. Who knows maybe mine were fakes (fake $20 dollar iems?) as I got them from another head-fi'er as a freebie in a trade.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #6,862 of 9,235
Quote:

Hey,

I went to Best Buy in Virginia. They didn't have any in stock but they looked up in what I believe is their internal system and found they were able to look at all the stores in Virginia and Maryland. They were gracious to look at the DC area stores and found a number of stores had them. If you are looking for them, in NOVA, the stores in Springfield, Potomac Mills, Sterling and Manassas (only 1 or 2 left at this store this where I got mine). When looking at the stores' inventories different stores had different prices (35-40),

The reason I say this is when I got mine at the Manassas store for $40. I asked them if they could price match other stores and they said yes, all I had to do was tell them which stores had the cheaper price which I did and they found the price and then priced match it for me. They aren't in the online store database, you need to make sure that they look in what I believe is the internal system (a manager had to do it for me at the first store). I would do this even if they have them in stock in case another store in the area has them for a cheaper price.

On that note, has anyone listened to the XBA-1 before? I know they are a single BA. How do they compare to other headphones? What about other single BAs such as A151 and AM90? Is the price, $36 with tax, worth keeping them?

Great info.  It's too late for me to use the price match with other stores, obviously, but this is great for anyone who may run into the same issues that we did.  Thanks.  I can't complain with mine at $53, anyways.  They sound great.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6,863 of 9,235
Quote:
Great info.  It's too late for me to use the price match with other stores, obviously, but this is great for anyone who may run into the same issues that we did.  Thanks.  I can't complain with mine at $53, anyways.  They sound great.

What would you say they sound like and how do they compare to other IEMs?

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #6,864 of 9,235
Not having any experience with the A161 - even at the lightning deal of $70 - is this single BA phone any better than the UE700? I mean, a double BA phone for only $5 more would seem to delete the A161 as a consideration.

This^ I picked up the UE700 for $75, saw the price on A161 and backed off. Plus I've heard the drivers are very good for the price in the UE.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #6,866 of 9,235
Quote:
What would you say they sound like and how do they compare to other IEMs?

Wow.  I don't know if I've been in this hobby long enough to describe how headphones sound, yet, but I'll give it a shot.

I listen to everything in FLAC through a NuForce uDAC-2.  I mainly listen to rock.

I currently own: Image X10s, CC51s, A151s, and the XBA-1s, among other IEMs that probably aren't in the same class.  I also own the ATH-M50s and ATH-AD700s for cans, and some others that aren't in the same class.

I think the XBA-1s will be right up there with my X10s, honestly, in terms of how often I will reach for them.  They are nearly polar opposites, though.  The X10s are more "fun" than the XBA-1s (read: more bass), but the XBA-1s, to my ears, have better clarity and separation, which I really value when listening to rock.  I actually think the XBA-1s have better separation, by far, than any other headphones (cans or IEMs) that I own.  I really enjoy them.

To my inexperienced ears, I can't really tell the difference between the CC51s and my new A151s that I received today.  They both are good all-arounders that do everything well but nothing amazingly.  Their sound signatures sound almost the same, to me.  I was expecting the A151s to sound closer to the XBA-1s in terms of signature, but I don't really think they do.  Both the CC51s and the A151s are like a poor man's Image X10 to me, maybe with slightly less bass.

Bottom line: The XBA-1s are better, in my opinion, than the CC51s and A151s, and nearly on par with, but different than, the Image X10s.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #6,868 of 9,235
Quote:

I currently own: Image X10s, CC51s, A151s, and the XBA-1s, among other IEMs that probably aren't in the same class.  I also own the ATH-M50s and ATH-AD700s for cans, and some others that aren't in the same class.

Thank you so much for that. I've been trying to read about them and couldn't find any comparisons with the A151 which I was looking for. You mentioned you have the M50s which I do too, how do they compare to those? Again thanks for the words, I really appreciate them.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #6,869 of 9,235
Not pulling the trigger on any of these... A161 came in at $70 and the Golds are $133; much higher than I hoped.
Quote:
Looks like we've got some pretty good options lined up for lightning deals today.  What prices are you guys expecting and at what price would you pull the trigger?

MEElectronics A161 - MSRP $120; Normal price - $100 and Amazon low - $95.  The A151s were $32 last week so not sure at what price point these should a green light on?  I'd hope for ~$50 - $65 and that would be solid.

Monster Turbine Pro Gold - MSRP - $300 - Normal Price - $220-$280 and Amazon low $152.  Would hope for something around $100, would you pull the trigger at that point?

Monster Turbine PRO Copper - MSRP - $400 Normal price $250 - $350 and Amazon low - $191. Would hope for the $150 range or lower.  At what point is the Copper deal better than the gold? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back