The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #14,898 of 19,652
I believe uzi2 (have not tested yet) that say 5.1 flac will now out put via coax to amp.  Will update once I have tried as have a few FLAC5.1 on my PC.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #14,899 of 19,652
Is there a download mirror to FW2.4? The link on the fiio side doesn't work properly. (unknown error)

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #14,900 of 19,652
  I believe uzi2 (have not tested yet) that say 5.1 flac will now out put via coax to amp.  Will update once I have tried as have a few FLAC5.1 on my PC.

Make sure they are max 24bit/48Khz as this is the limit for multichannel digital coax pass throuh.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #14,901 of 19,652

Make sure they are max 24bit/48Khz as this is the limit for multichannel digital coax pass throuh.

Hey uzi2, so all updated and transferred file.  X5 now plays the FLAC5.1 but as you mention the 48Khz limit (which I wasn't aware of so thanks) might be causing my amp to not recognise the 5.1 signal.  The source file is 96Khz and the amp plays but only recognises the signal as Stereo.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #14,902 of 19,652
  The new firmware is released now. 

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/242

In case people are having trouble downloading it, this may be faster:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/124389/X5-FW2.4.rar

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #14,905 of 19,652

In case people are having trouble downloading it, this may be faster:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/124389/X5-FW2.4.rar

Thx a lot. That was very very fast. Only a few seconds! :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #14,906 of 19,652
Careful, there. You might get blocked for not praising Fiio along with the other 90%. (Whispering) Don't say anything about the wheel. The wheel is off limits. And now officially off the table because they just admitted it was a mistake and it's gone with ZERO support. Bought this in July, and six months later it's obsolete with no fix in sight. That's quite fast, even for 2015. Even Apple still supported their devices for a few years. What are we? Test subjects for prototypes? That is what it feels like.

If I had known about Sony a17 sooner, and especially no fix for this wheel, I would have not bought it. I hoped they would eventually offer a fix. Who knows what the next model will test on us, the white mice,

Well I'd be one very sorry to see it go James - I find it both useful and easy to use on both my X5 and X1.  Still I guess if it is what the majority of your users are saying - I'm only a small fish in a big pond. What was the reaction to the wheel from your Chinese user base? Have there been a lot of detractors?

:deadhorse:

BLOCKED
and
BLOCKED

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #14,907 of 19,652

Hey uzi2, so all updated and transferred file.  X5 now plays the FLAC5.1 but as you mention the 48Khz limit (which I wasn't aware of so thanks) might be causing my amp to not recognise the 5.1 signal.  The source file is 96Khz and the amp plays but only recognises the signal as Stereo.

Your amp will also need to be able to decode Flac multichannel digital in. Many only support lossy AC3 and DTS using this method. In order to output lossless multichannel you would need HDMI.
This is why I was surprised at the multichannel support in the X5. Perhaps it is limited to DTS and AC3 in a FLAC wrapper, although I would expect this to have worked with previous firmwares as 2ch DSD works perfectly this way.
I won't want to be using my X5 as a transport for multichannel and I certainly wouldn't want it to play some stereo conversion from them, so it isn't an area I will be exploring... Good luck.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #14,908 of 19,652
Hey all, been a while since I posted, I have been relatively satisfied with the gear I currently own.
However, I think it's time for another upgrade(?): My Cowon J3 is somewhat dieing.

The battery indicator is inaccurate at times (1 bar would last me hours sometimes, 3 bars would last me 30 minutes sometimes), and I have noticed a substantial decrease in overall battery life. I have been using it for around 3~4 years now, almost daily. I definitely still love my J3, but since I was thinking about getting a portable amp (Fiio E11k, possibly E12), I thought why not get another player as well.

I went to an electronics shop the other day and found an example X5. One thing I noticed is that the wheel surface was rough as opposed to the pictures I've seen here (smooth rubber type surface). I assume the current one has a smooth surface?

Also, any comments on switching from the Cowon J3 to the Fiio X5? Pairing the X5 with the E11k or E12?
Still in the early stages of deciding, as the X5 isn't a cheap purchase.

*I mainly use the Etymonic HF5 with ACS tips and V-MODA M80s, occasionally ATH-M50s. Mainly listen to Rock and Electronic.

Thanks in advance~

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #14,909 of 19,652
  Hey all, been a while since I posted, I have been relatively satisfied with the gear I currently own.
However, I think it's time for another upgrade(?): My Cowon J3 is somewhat dieing.

The battery indicator is inaccurate at times (1 bar would last me hours sometimes, 3 bars would last me 30 minutes sometimes), and I have noticed a substantial decrease in overall battery life. I have been using it for around 3~4 years now, almost daily. I definitely still love my J3, but since I was thinking about getting a portable amp (Fiio E11k, possibly E12), I thought why not get another player as well.

I went to an electronics shop the other day and found an example X5. One thing I noticed is that the wheel surface was rough as opposed to the pictures I've seen here (smooth rubber type surface). I assume the current one has a smooth surface?

Also, any comments on switching from the Cowon J3 to the Fiio X5? Pairing the X5 with the E11k or E12?
Still in the early stages of deciding, as the X5 isn't a cheap purchase.

*I mainly use the Etymonic HF5 with ACS tips and V-MODA M80s, occasionally ATH-M50s. Mainly listen to Rock and Electronic.

Thanks in advance~

Well the cheapest option here is to replace the battery in your J3. I am sure you can find instructions on youtube etc.

The amp section of the X5 is pretty good and will certainly drive the HF5s very well without the need of a separate amp, so if you are looking for a change, I would start with the X5 alone.
A tip:- The Ety HF5s will sound better and actually have better isolation using the triple flange tips rather than the custom fit ACS. The reason is that the custom sleeves don't allow deep enough penetration. In order for them to sound as they should the tip of the barrel should come to the tip of the sleeve. Instead there is an extra tube length and the earpiece is positioned too far out so they stick out of your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back