The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #14,911 of 19,652
  Hey all, been a while since I posted, I have been relatively satisfied with the gear I currently own.
However, I think it's time for another upgrade(?): My Cowon J3 is somewhat dieing.

The battery indicator is inaccurate at times (1 bar would last me hours sometimes, 3 bars would last me 30 minutes sometimes), and I have noticed a substantial decrease in overall battery life. I have been using it for around 3~4 years now, almost daily. I definitely still love my J3, but since I was thinking about getting a portable amp (Fiio E11k, possibly E12), I thought why not get another player as well.

I went to an electronics shop the other day and found an example X5. One thing I noticed is that the wheel surface was rough as opposed to the pictures I've seen here (smooth rubber type surface). I assume the current one has a smooth surface?

Also, any comments on switching from the Cowon J3 to the Fiio X5? Pairing the X5 with the E11k or E12?
Still in the early stages of deciding, as the X5 isn't a cheap purchase.

*I mainly use the Etymonic HF5 with ACS tips and V-MODA M80s, occasionally ATH-M50s. Mainly listen to Rock and Electronic.

Thanks in advance~

I changed from cowon j3 to fiio x5. great change, everything is better in all ways possible! what you could need to know is that x5 also has enough power for your headphones, so you will not need to stack it with anything!

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #14,915 of 19,652
For those users on a Mac I'm happy to report that the hidden files from OSX no longer affect the folder browsing functionality or playback when ejecting the cards normally. Goodbye 'Eject For Windows' app :D

Woohoo!!!

rough you mean like this?

I wish they'd stuck with that design. Wonder why they switched to the smooth wheel and only released that in Japan...

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #14,916 of 19,652
  Joe's repository- not as fast as the dropbox posted earlier but always there for easy access.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4377ajo5rkpd5/X5

Ya, I went there to get it as a Zip file because it's just easier for me to open and extract Zip files. Rar files present problems for me. Can't get them open anymore now that my trial version of Winzip has expired and I don't feel like downloading anymore freeware even freeware that's recommended by Microsoft as i have found out the hard way that, that is not any guarantee that the freeware will be free from any nasties like malware or cling-on programs that I don't want. Plus for me the Zip files always download much quicker than the rar files.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #14,917 of 19,652
  I changed from cowon j3 to fiio x5. great change, everything is better in all ways possible! what you could need to know is that x5 also has enough power for your headphones, so you will not need to stack it with anything!

I had a Cowon J3 few years asgo, and the Fiio X5 is far better in every way. I just hooked it up to my brand-new-today Cayin C5 to drive my Alpha Primes and I was deeply impressed by the setup. 

Fiio have done a stellar job.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #14,918 of 19,652
  The new firmware is released now. 

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/242

I am very happy with the new firmware FW2.4. Everything works as desired, and it does sound very good. 

Thank you all @ FiiO

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #14,920 of 19,652
Turn on your device.  Plug it into the computer via USB.  When the folder that contains your music on your MicroDisk pops up on your desktop, open it and then drag the fw onto it.  NOT the ZIP, NOT the RAR, just the little thingie inside that says x5.fw.  Eject the disk from your computer.  Turn the X5 off.  That's a hard long press (5 seconds) until it says bye bye.  When it's off, hold it down WHILE also holding down the top left button above the scroll wheel and wait for a little pop-up that says it is updating.  When you see that, let go.  when it finishes, it will turn off.  Wait.  After 30 seconds, turn it on.  You should be set.  Leave the x5.fw on your card or delete it, your choice.  

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #14,921 of 19,652
  Turn on your device.  Plug it into the computer via USB.  When the folder that contains your music on your MicroDisk pops up on your desktop, open it and then drag the fw onto it.  NOT the ZIP, NOT the RAR, just the little thingie inside that says x5.fw.  Eject the disk from your computer.  Turn the X5 off.  That's a hard long press (5 seconds) until it says bye bye.  When it's off, hold it down WHILE also holding down the top left button above the scroll wheel and wait for a little pop-up that says it is updating.  When you see that, let go.  when it finishes, it will turn off.  Wait.  After 30 seconds, turn it on.  You should be set.  Leave the x5.fw on your card or delete it, your choice.  

Thanks Olddude that's awesome updating as I type.

Best rgds

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #14,923 of 19,652
I found the .rar quite fast and small.  I've been using .rar for about 15 years and luckilly never had trouble with them.  You could try WinRAR for 40-day trial.  It also does zip if you wish.
Back to 2.40: hope TheoS53 is watching.  Found his 2.36 Mod Simp version fast.  Hope he decides to grace us with a 2.40 modded version.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #14,924 of 19,652
Yup. Quickly scans in all my tracks - much, much faster than my DX90!

I like the customizable EQ presets. In the beta fw, I've already renamed them after my most used HP/IEM for fine tuning.

Folder play
smily_headphones1.gif

Curious about #10: optimized AAC, FLAC, M4A playback, though. @Joe Bloggs? @JamesFiiO?

I know with the old firmwares genres displayed wrong with m4a files. Not sure about FLAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back