The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #14,927 of 19,652
rough you mean like this?

Woohoo!!!
I wish they'd stuck with that design. Wonder why they switched to the smooth wheel and only released that in Japan...

They dropped this wheel texture because users on Head-Fi didn't like it in the prototype design pictures. Then, when it was released as a special Japan Edition users on Head Fi were all over it, wishing they had it. Sigh, go figure.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #14,928 of 19,652
They dropped this wheel texture because users on Head-Fi didn't like it in the prototype design pictures. Then, when it was released as a special Japan Edition users on Head Fi were all over it, wishing they had it. Sigh, go figure.

DAMN YOU, HEADFI-ERS!!!  YOU TOOK AWAY MY KNURLED SCROLL WHEEL!!!

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #14,929 of 19,652
So wheel/no wheel, texture/no texture.  You can't please some of the people some of the time.....
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #14,930 of 19,652
O.K. Headfiers you are a bad influence. The new firmware report has made me cave in. I purchased an FIIO X5 for use with my AIFF library. Are you happy now :wink:. I need to purchase some memory cards. Can I format them on my iMac? if so as what? Window compatible? I'm running Yosemite.

I hope this thing can drive my Hifiman 400i and Phillips X2. I'm pretty sure it will drive my P7's.

OMG I just checked and I've added 29 (mostly used CD's) since X-Mas due to these new headphones.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #14,933 of 19,652
I have some beta firmware running currently past 1.2.

Can anyone confirm that the new official firm wear allows you to play all songs by an artist. (Through the UI, not folder mode).

My current beta one does and I don't want to update unless that is included in the new firmware.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #14,934 of 19,652
O.K. Headfiers you are a bad influence. The new firmware report has made me cave in. I purchased an FIIO X5 for use with my AIFF library. Are you happy now :wink:. I need to purchase some memory cards. Can I format them on my iMac? if so as what? Window compatible? I'm running Yosemite.

I hope this thing can drive my Hifiman 400i and Phillips X2. I'm pretty sure it will drive my P7's.

OMG I just checked and I've added 29 (mostly used CD's) since X-Mas due to these new headphones.

You only should format the card with the X5 - go to setup, choose format and voila. Yes, it will be Windows and OSX compatible. Use only official cards from reputable brands and dealers. I use Sandisk (64gb and 128gb) and have been very happy with them.

The X5 should have no problem driving the 400i or the X2. Enjoy.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #14,935 of 19,652

NO!!!!!  Format them as the directions explain, INSIDE the device. Anything else and you could be asking for trouble (though some have managed it).  I use a Mac.  

Make sure your cards are real.  Make doubly sure your cards are real.

Organize your folders with subfolders.  Either as Alpha or as Artist Name.  Subfolders go inside the main folders.  So: The Beatles>The Beatles Revolver, The Beatles Rubber Soul, etc.  You can add numbers to the subfolders to make them play in order: The Beatles 2 Revolver, The Beatles 1 Rubber Soul.  Or  do A-K on one card and L-Z on the other, and again do subfolders.  

Playlists are possible, look for how to on the X5 thread.

Enjoy your new toy!

Other than that, enjoy.  

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #14,936 of 19,652

Well the cheapest option here is to replace the battery in your J3. I am sure you can find instructions on youtube etc.

The amp section of the X5 is pretty good and will certainly drive the HF5s very well without the need of a separate amp, so if you are looking for a change, I would start with the X5 alone.
A tip:- The Ety HF5s will sound better and actually have better isolation using the triple flange tips rather than the custom fit ACS. The reason is that the custom sleeves don't allow deep enough penetration. In order for them to sound as they should the tip of the barrel should come to the tip of the sleeve. Instead there is an extra tube length and the earpiece is positioned too far out so they stick out of your ears.

Ah, I guess that's also an option. I just dunno how difficult it will be to find a J3 battery since they are out of production =x

I see, my first change will be the X5 then. I was looking at amps also because the X5 seems to have a case dedicated for strapping amps to it, and it looks pretty nice as well. I'll get an amp if I get any cans that require more power.
I used the triple flange tips before I got the ACS and they did penetrate pretty far and isolated decently, but hurt my ears after about an hour. I definitely understand what you mean by "the tip of the barrel should come to the tip of the sleeve" and "the earpiece is positioned too far out so they stick out of your ears", but the better comfort and isolation of the ACS beat the triple flange in my opinion. Sound quality wasn't cut that much either.

rough you mean like this?

Yep, exactly like that. Seems like the models in Japan have the rough surface. I asked an employee whether they have any that I can actually hold in my hand (it was in a glass case) but he said that the Japan edition model is out of production and there are none left =[
  I changed from cowon j3 to fiio x5. great change, everything is better in all ways possible! what you could need to know is that x5 also has enough power for your headphones, so you will not need to stack it with anything!

One reason I'm still a bit hesitant is because the J3 has such a good EQ and the ability to create 4 custom EQ settings. Does the X5 have a decent EQ? A X5 video I saw showed the option to create 1 custom EQ setting, but has that changed through firmware updates?

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #14,937 of 19,652
I have some beta firmware running currently past 1.2.

Can anyone confirm that the new official firm wear allows you to play all songs by an artist. (Through the UI, not folder mode).

My current beta one does and I don't want to update unless that is included in the new firmware.

Yes it does............. BUT............ It doesn't group the songs by album, it just lists them alphabetically, or numerically if your file names start with the track number. The only FW to list all songs by artist properly (grouped by album) is 2.02 beta. Here is the link FW 2.02 beta. It worked for me for months until I switched to the new FW.

I will say that the new 2.4 FW (and 2.36beta before it) has changed the way I listen. Now it's all about folder play because the way it automatically plays the next folder at the end of the previous one is very easy and enjoyable to use. I simple don't use the all songs by artist anymore because I have my songs organized by Artist/Album/tracks.ALAC. Once in the Artist folder it'll play all the tracks by that artist seamlessly through all album folders. Win.

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #14,938 of 19,652
Ah, I guess that's also an option. I just dunno how difficult it will be to find a J3 battery since they are out of production =x

I see, my first change will be the X5 then. I was looking at amps also because the X5 seems to have a case dedicated for strapping amps to it, and it looks pretty nice as well. I'll get an amp if I get any cans that require more power.
I used the triple flange tips before I got the ACS and they did penetrate pretty far and isolated decently, but hurt my ears after about an hour. I definitely understand what you mean by "the tip of the barrel should come to the tip of the sleeve" and "the earpiece is positioned too far out so they stick out of your ears", but the better comfort and isolation of the ACS beat the triple flange in my opinion. Sound quality wasn't cut that much either.

Yep, exactly like that. Seems like the models in Japan have the rough surface. I asked an employee whether they have any that I can actually hold in my hand (it was in a glass case) but he said that the Japan edition model is out of production and there are none left =[

One reason I'm still a bit hesitant is because the J3 has such a good EQ and the ability to create 4 custom EQ settings. Does the X5 have a decent EQ? A X5 video I saw showed the option to create 1 custom EQ setting, but has that changed through firmware updates?

To be honest, the EQ on the X5 isn't 'the best' but it gets the job done. All of the EQ settings can now be modified so you aren't stuck with one custom setting. It won't give you any surround field effects or other DSP processing but the audio quality is very good and you shouldn't need them.

The best way to use the EQ is to max all the sliders and then cut the frequencies that you don't want to have as much influence. So, if you want more bass then max every slider and reduce the high frequencies. This will tilt the sound to more bass. The reason is that FiiO reduces the output by 6db to prevent clipping when increasing frequencies in the EQ. This is the proper way to implement EQ so no clipping occurs (unlike Apple). Or simply adjust your EQ and increase the volume to compensate (around 12 units in the volume range gives around 6db increase)

Just make sure everything in your audio chain is good quality or you will hear it. Very low bit rate (below 256kbps) or poorly mastered music will be revealed. When using fairly easy to drive headphones/IEMs the only real benefit to use something like the e12 is the crossfeed or bass boost. I can tell you it's quite good and fairly 'fun', much better than boosting the bass with the EQ.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #14,939 of 19,652

this was my first question with x5... if i could re-create the eq settings i had on j3... the eq is much more basic, has not enough treble sliders, but, dude, it really gets it done better. this is the most important aspect.

changing from j3 to x5, is like going from 32 to 44.1... it opens up, j3 had no soundstasge to speak of. it had no life, no power, no treble... 

you can change all eq settings, so you will be able to create as many as you will want, but, belive me, on j3 i was using all eq settings very hardcore, with x5, i am very much pleased without changing any eq, with most phones... it is just that good.

and j3 was amazing when i bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back