The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #14,866 of 19,652

sorry, we will try to find a better way to handle the wheel, and I believe we will give up the wheel at last.

"Even the royal house of Hanover had the wheel, sir"

<Sorry, Beatles reference for those old enough>

Sorry # 2.  James, I assume the new FW is not posted yet, as I don't see it in the repository.  I'll take a look tomorrow and see if it shows up.  Have a good night, er, day I guess.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #14,867 of 19,652
  sorry, we will try to find a better way to handle the wheel, and I believe we will give up the wheel at last.

Well I'd be one very sorry to see it go James - I find it both useful and easy to use on both my X5 and X1.  Still I guess if it is what the majority of your users are saying - I'm only a small fish in a big pond. What was the reaction to the wheel from your Chinese user base? Have there been a lot of detractors?

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #14,868 of 19,652

For the record James, I find using the wheel to be a refreshing change from touch screens. Although not absolutely perfect I find it perfectly usable, as do many others.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #14,870 of 19,652

To the person who had FLAC playback problems. I was having issues as well. I used this program http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php audio tester. I fund that my files would get currupted when i transfered them to my card. It turned out to be a bad card but a few things that could affect it would be bad RAM and windows not making a perfect copy. There are programs that verify copies by hashing and all that.

And not to beat a dead horse but the wheel is to loose. Im always accidentally hitting other options that i dont mean to. Why even have a wheel? Touch screen is the only way to do a music player UI. With 100 dollar android phones on the market i seriously doubt the cost would have gone up by much.

The main problem i have with the wheel is that it looks like an ipod knock off.

That's nice.
I just spent 50,000yen on this and your gonna give up the main U.I. control point instead of fixing it?
I shoulda bought an ibasso dx90.

Seriously. Anyone looking at that comment feels dumb for buying what will soon be a legacy point or is gonna wait for the X7 which will be a slightly improved and more expensive item with maybe no wheel.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #14,871 of 19,652
Oh god, I can see it now.  Picketers surrounding the Fiio offices with signs reading "Bring back the Wheel" and "We love our Wheel" and "You can't take our Wheel away."  A write-in campaign.  Stories in all the magazines written by writers who want their wheel back.  
Oh, it's going to get nasty.  
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #14,874 of 19,652
That's nice.
I just spent 50,000yen on this and your gonna give up the main U.I. control point instead of fixing it?
I shoulda bought an ibasso dx90.

Seriously. Anyone looking at that comment feels dumb for buying what will soon be a legacy point or is gonna wait for the X7 which will be a slightly improved and more expensive item with maybe no wheel.

Careful, there. You might get blocked for not praising Fiio along with the other 90%. (Whispering) Don't say anything about the wheel. The wheel is off limits. And now officially off the table because they just admitted it was a mistake and it's gone with ZERO support. Bought this in July, and six months later it's obsolete with no fix in sight. That's quite fast, even for 2015. Even Apple still supported their devices for a few years. What are we? Test subjects for prototypes? That is what it feels like.

If I had known about Sony a17 sooner, and especially no fix for this wheel, I would have not bought it. I hoped they would eventually offer a fix. Who knows what the next model will test on us, the white mice,

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #14,875 of 19,652
Careful, there. You might get blocked for not praising Fiio along with the other 90%. (Whispering) Don't say anything about the wheel. The wheel is off limits. And now officially off the table because they just admitted it was a mistake and it's gone with ZERO support. Bought this in July, and six months later it's obsolete with no fix in sight. That's quite fast, even for 2015. Even Apple still supported their devices for a few years. What are we? Test subjects for prototypes? That is what it feels like.

If I had known about Sony a17 sooner, and especially no fix for this wheel, I would have not bought it. I hoped they would eventually offer a fix. Who knows what the next model will test on us, the white mice,

deadhorse.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #14,876 of 19,652
Remember? I still have mine! I think they can bury me with it. Those were really great players. Too bad iRiver jacked their prices up so much.

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying one, Rockboxing it like in the good old days, and doing an SD mod up to 256gb :wink_face:

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #14,877 of 19,652
The wheel works. I can live with it. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it looks like an ipod. I want people to look at my x5 and not think fake ipod.

Touch screen just makes more sense when it comes to interfaces. Mechanical interfaces put you in a box when it comes to controls. With a touch screen the UI is limitless.

The one thing I've always wanted from a portable media player is the ability to edit tag information on the go. I have thousands of songs that need sorting. If i could spend my commute organizing my collection id be in heaven. The ipod had the rating system that changed my life. I could load a new album before i left and play through it rating my songs.

Anyway fiio is a solid company making good products. End of story.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #14,880 of 19,652
  Let's all buy Ponos.  They sound really good and they look like candy bars.  And EVERYONE likes candy bars.

Uh you already have one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back