The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #10,921 of 19,652

There is really no substitute for a full ReplayGain implementation on the player. I just worry that we would have same response here as to the EQ - where has my volume gone?

Agreed about ReplayGain. It's now the main feature missing. Especially now we have playlists - functionally, shuffling/using 'various artists' or 'songs from various albums' playlists is just a pain without ReplayGain unless you've already gain levelled your files, which is destructive and shouldn't be necessary.

(edit: removed stuff about EQ as had misinterpreted uzi2's post)

Hopefully those who would complain that the volume is different/lower for some files (the entire purpose of the function) wouldn't activate the feature in the first place.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #10,922 of 19,652
#thericochet
Yes, I'm aware of how it works...
Replaygain will reduce volume further by up to 9db, which is why I made the comment about all the previous posts re EQ.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #10,923 of 19,652
  #thericochet
Yes, I'm aware of how it works...
Replaygain will reduce volume further by up to 9db, which is why I made the comment about all the previous posts re EQ.

Ah, I've got the wrong end of the stick there. Rather than commenting on user responses, I thought you were commenting on the way the (currently correctly implemented) EQ hasn't been changed, i.e. the response from FiiO to those requests. Apologies.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #10,928 of 19,652
  Hello. Do you guys know how to avoid 5800 song limit???
I have more than 8000 songs and I'd love to use them all with Fiio X5.
Is there any trick?

The 5800 song limit only applies to building a database. You can have more than 5800 songs if you use browse folder. I prefer to browse folder rather than using the database.

If it helps, I have my music set up in folders as Artist/(Year) Album Name/ Track# - Title of Song

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #10,929 of 19,652
  The 5800 song limit only applies to building a database. You can have more than 5800 songs if you use browse folder. I prefer to browse folder rather than using the database.

If it helps, I have my music set up in folders as Artist/(Year) Album Name/ Track# - Title of Song

Cool. Good to know. I'm not going to use data base so it's okay then! Thanks

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #10,930 of 19,652

You know that you just ensured a customer of Fiio X5 with that statement? I was only holding off because i thought the memory limit also limited folder browsing. As long as they plan on fixing the library cache thing to be on the card eventually, I'll totally buy this probably within two months of now...Thanks for this info.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #10,931 of 19,652
Having used my X5 for a few weeks now, i have to say my only notable gripe with the sound quality is the fact that the noise floor is audible on my UM Miracle's. I've been looking around at portable amps that I could strap to it, the Headamp Pico Slim being the top choice so far, with the Fiio E12 DIY edition a close second (having a hell of a time deciding, if anyone can offer some insight as to how they pair with high end sensitive CIEM's, that would be cool)

I'm just wondering if there are any portable DAC's that are worth using with the X5? I'm a little dismayed that it doesn't support USB audio output, because it seems at least 95% of good portable DAC's out there only have USB digital input, rather than the coax that the X5 uses. I've seen people saying the DAC on the X5 is really good, but the amp is inferior (the noise floor is enough to confirm that for me), so is there anything notable to be gained by an outboard DAC, or would a good IEM amp suffice for great sound?

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #10,932 of 19,652
  Having used my X5 for a few weeks now, i have to say my only notable gripe with the sound quality is the fact that the noise floor is audible on my UM Miracle's. I've been looking around at portable amps that I could strap to it, the Headamp Pico Slim being the top choice so far, with the Fiio E12 DIY edition a close second (having a hell of a time deciding, if anyone can offer some insight as to how they pair with high end sensitive CIEM's, that would be cool)

I'm just wondering if there are any portable DAC's that are worth using with the X5? I'm a little dismayed that it doesn't support USB audio output, because it seems at least 95% of good portable DAC's out there only have USB digital input, rather than the coax that the X5 uses. I've seen people saying the DAC on the X5 is really good, but the amp is inferior (the noise floor is enough to confirm that for me), so is there anything notable to be gained by an outboard DAC, or would a good IEM amp suffice for great sound?

I am surprised that Miracle can pick up any background noise, given X5's SNR is >115dB. If you look at Pico Slim and E12DIY, you will notice Pico Slim's SNR is only rated at >100dB while E12DIY is on par with X5. So if Miracle will hiss with X5, it will most likely hiss will those amps as well. In fact, Miracle might hiss a lot worst with Pico Slim based on those number. Actually you won't find that many portable that can do around -115dB (I don't personally know any. Even O2 can only do -113dB). To me this isn't a case of X5's amp being inferior at all, but rather something else at culprit.

On extra note, there is no such a thing called 'USB Audio output'. USB is not an audio purpose interface, but only a digital data interface. Therefore it only for transferring digital data from host to slave device without caring what it is transferring. To have the ability to output audio via USB connection, the host device must have the ability to "host" and support USB Audio Class. This will require the host device to have somewhat of a smart OS (Android, iOS, etc), which is way beyond that X5's firmware can do.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #10,933 of 19,652

+1 to ClieOS' comments. I have Miracles and have used them extensively with the X5 with no noise at all. As ClieOS said, I think something else might be going on (i.e. a problem somewhere in the chain with either the X5 having a fault, the Miracle's cable or the Miracles themselves)

I doubt you'll find a portable DAC which can outdo with the X5's onboard DAC. Probably better to use the X5 line out to feed a quality amplifier like the 2 you mentioned - not sure what benefit you're seeking by using an external DAC (i.e. let me know if I missed something)

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #10,934 of 19,652

I am surprised that Miracle can pick up any background noise, given X5's SNR is >115dB. If you look at Pico Slim and E12DIY, you will notice Pico Slim's SNR is only rated at >100dB while E12DIY is on par with X5. So if Miracle will hiss with X5, it will most likely hiss will those amps as well. In fact, Miracle might hiss a lot worst with Pico Slim based on those number. Actually you won't find that many portable that can do around -115dB (I don't personally know any. Even O2 can only do -113dB). To me this isn't a case of X5's amp being inferior at all, but rather something else at culprit.

On extra note, there is no such a thing called 'USB Audio output'. USB is not an audio purpose interface, but only a digital data interface. Therefore it only for transferring digital data from host to slave device without caring what it is transferring. To have the ability to output audio via USB connection, the host device must have the ability to "host" and support USB Audio Class. This will require the host device to have somewhat of a smart OS (Android, iOS, etc), which is way beyond that X5's firmware can do.

+1 to ClieOS' comments. I have Miracles and have used them extensively with the X5 with no noise at all. As ClieOS said, I think something else might be going on (i.e. a problem somewhere in the chain with either the X5 having a fault, the Miracle's cable or the Miracles themselves)

I doubt you'll find a portable DAC which can outdo with the X5's onboard DAC. Probably better to use the X5 line out to feed a quality amplifier like the 2 you mentioned - not sure what benefit you're seeking by using an external DAC (i.e. let me know if I missed something)

Could it be the source files? Many songs have hiss recorded in them, especially poorly mastered ones (which there are plenty of). The X5 may just be revealing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back