The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 12, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #10,936 of 19,652
after owning the X5 for about 3 months now I have finally gotten around to listening via the LO - I had forgotten all about the LO option as the silcion case covers up the connectors and it wasnt until i read about someone pairing the X5 and pico power on another thread that it made me test it out

I paired it with the Meier Stepdance and my old IE80's  and was gobsmacked with the improvement in SQ. Much more clarity and definition than the HO, the words crystal clear and authoritative best describe it for me.  Can only wonder how my IE800's (recently RIP'd) with their rich bass and mids would have sounded with that extra cutting edge definition, i think it would have been a fantastic set up.  

Also tried with my HD800's and it drove them very well but a little bright for my liking. 

Overall a very pleasant discovery !

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #10,937 of 19,652
+1 to ClieOS' comments. I have Miracles and have used them extensively with the X5 with no noise at all. As ClieOS said, I think something else might be going on (i.e. a problem somewhere in the chain with either the X5 having a fault, the Miracle's cable or the Miracles themselves)

I doubt you'll find a portable DAC which can outdo with the X5's onboard DAC. Probably better to use the X5 line out to feed a quality amplifier like the 2 you mentioned - not sure what benefit you're seeking by using an external DAC (i.e. let me know if I missed something)

I have a feeling it might be the cable. I'm using a backup aftermarket cable that has a 1/4" plug, and a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. I should be recieving my Noble 5S within the next couple of weeks though, hopefully with a new CIEM it alleviates the issues, and if so, then I'll go audition some portable amps at the Headphone Bar here in Vancouver

It was more general curiosity, whether a DAC would be worth getting, or if it's a strong enough DAC on it's own. I've been getting more curious as to what differences higher end DACs make, so I figured I would ask people more experienced than me :p

Could it be the source files? Many songs have hiss recorded in them, especially poorly mastered ones (which there are plenty of). The X5 may just be revealing this.

No, I can hear the hiss as soon as I plug my Miracles in, without any music playing, and also during quiet moments in well recorded albums, especially classical music.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #10,938 of 19,652
+ 1 Headphone Bar!

Well, according to Tyll on Innerfidelity the X5 is very close the AK 240 so that's saying something about the DAC. I find it to be one of the cleanest and most natural DAC implementations you can buy, and at this price it's a steal!

As far as amps go the e12 pairs really well with the X5, especially with the L16 interconnect cable.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #10,939 of 19,652
For pairing an the X5 with a portable amp, I can recommend buying an Project Headbox MKII at a retail price of about 140 USD (I´d bought two of those used for half the price).
Then replace the OpAmp from the original 2068 to LM4562 or THS4032/ 2 single x 4031 (SMD´s) with 100 nF bypass cap between pin 4 and 8, and switch the volume to Alp´s RK27 50 kOhm - then feed the LM7805 directly with about 20 VDC. Maybe also build a slimmer aluminium case for better portability. Then you have an amp matching amp´s between 350 and 1000 USD!

Here is a picture of my first build, halfly modded, 4 years ago. Now I´m in to building my second for use with battery paired my X5.

/ Mikael Makrstrom

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #10,940 of 19,652
So, will the auto-advance playback in FW 2.07b work this way:

When coming to the end of the last song in the choosed folder to play, will it automatically jump to play the song´s in the next folder (without having an playlist), so it will play the entire card´s song´s in a row (until the battery drain out)?

Or do I have to go in to the menu screen every time to switch between folders, as it will stop playing in the end of each folder?

Relic replied this to me about this question, but I´m not shure it´s correct for what I explained above, maybe it will just play all songs in the choosed directory:

In the category menu the first option above play by Album and Artist and Genre is All Songs. The organization isn't the best as it lists all songs alphabetically, so if you have track numbers at the beginning of your file names it will list all 01 songs, then all 02 songs, and so on (good enough for shuffle though). With FW 2.02 beta there is an option that plays all songs by artist grouped by album, and it works perfectly so there is hope they can adjust the behaviour of listing songs. However, the later beta FW versions have regressed to listing the songs alphabetically in the Play All by Artist subcategory.

/ Mikael Markstrom

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #10,941 of 19,652
+ 1 Headphone Bar!

Well, according to Tyll on Innerfidelity the X5 is very close the AK 240 so that's saying something about the DAC. I find it to be one of the cleanest and most natural DAC implementations you can buy, and at this price it's a steal!

As far as amps go the e12 pairs really well with the X5, especially with the L16 interconnect cable.

Yeah. If the E12 sounds good then I'll probably order the DIY edition off of amazon. The ergonomics are a huge selling point with me, having both input and output on the same side of the device, but I keep reading raving reviews of the Pico Slim with IEM's, doesn't make for an easy choice :p

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #10,942 of 19,652
So, will the auto-advance playback in FW 2.07b work this way:

When coming to the end of the last song in the choosed folder to play, will it automatically jump to play the song´s in the next folder (without having an playlist), so it will play the entire card´s song´s in a row (until the battery drain out)?

Or do I have to go in to the menu screen every time to switch between folders, as it will stop playing in the end of each folder?

Relic replied this to me about this question, but I´m not shure it´s correct for what I explained above, maybe it will just play all songs in the choosed directory:

In the category menu the first option above play by Album and Artist and Genre is All Songs. The organization isn't the best as it lists all songs alphabetically, so if you have track numbers at the beginning of your file names it will list all 01 songs, then all 02 songs, and so on (good enough for shuffle though). With FW 2.02 beta there is an option that plays all songs by artist grouped by album, and it works perfectly so there is hope they can adjust the behaviour of listing songs. However, the later beta FW versions have regressed to listing the songs alphabetically in the Play All by Artist subcategory.

/ Mikael Markstrom

That's play by category (artist, album, or genre) and you're asking about playing by folder, which is, IMO, better; my folders are cleaner and more organized than the category view is

When you're playing by folder, it will play to the end of the folder, or shuffle, if you want it to, until all songs inside that specific folder have been played, or it reaches the end of that folder. Usually, if you're using a normal folder layout (artist/album) it will play to the end of the album and stop

EDIT: sorry I didn't realize you were talking about the next firmware beta. I have no experience with that. You might be better off asking in the threat about X5 beta firmware, it's discussed in greater depth there

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #10,943 of 19,652
Yeah. If the E12 sounds good then I'll probably order the DIY edition off of amazon. The ergonomics are a huge selling point with me, having both input and output on the same side of the device, but I keep reading raving reviews of the Pico Slim with IEM's, doesn't make for an easy choice :p

I own both, and the E12 DIY is a completely different amp the regular E12. Don't just listen to one and assume you'll like the other. Between the two, I'd take the E12 DIY any day. Better sound and easily customizable :thumbsup:

Have you checked out the E12 DIY thread? Lots of good descriptions there. ClieOS loves it to death in that thread!

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #10,944 of 19,652
I own both, and the E12 DIY is a completely different amp the regular E12. Don't just listen to one and assume you'll like the other. Between the two, I'd take the E12 DIY any day. Better sound and easily customizable :thumbsup:

Have you checked out the E12 DIY thread? Lots of good descriptions there. ClieOS loves it to death in that thread!

Given that it has, as you say, better sound, and I've read it also synergises better with sensitive IEM's, it would seem like a safe bet if I like the e12 vanilla edition, but I will definitely check that thread out, thanks!

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #10,945 of 19,652
I love headphone bar. For anyone looking to order an X5 or any other types of audiophile equipment in Canada, look no further than Headphone Bar. Quick shipping, great service, some great deals and helpful customer support. I order from there often and can expect a package within 3-4 days of placing the order.

I'm going to be ordering an X5 from there soon.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #10,946 of 19,652
I love headphone bar. For anyone looking to order an X5 or any other types of audiophile equipment in Canada, look no further than Headphone Bar. Quick shipping, great service, some great deals and helpful customer support. I order from there often and can expect a package within 3-4 days of placing the order.

I ordered an X5 from Headphone Bar.
I agree with everything you said.:beerchug:

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #10,947 of 19,652

Agreed. I live in Metro Vancouver, I ordered my X5 on Sunday and it was waiting for me on Tuesday, it's a fantastic place

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #10,948 of 19,652
Agreed. I live in Metro Vancouver, I ordered my X5 on Sunday and it was waiting for me on Tuesday, it's a fantastic place

I work a couple of blocks from there and I've spent a good portion of my spare time hanging with Travis and spending too much money. :D

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #10,949 of 19,652
Thanks! I might buy it soon. I quite like my GR07 Bass Editions. My only gripe is that it's difficult to find tips for it that isolate well and don't ruin the highs.

Also, have you or anyone else on this thread used the X5 as a DAC for android phones (specifically the Nexus 5)? I listen to music on SoundCloud quite often and would like to be able to squeeze a bit more sq out of my phone.

Just tested the android DAC thing: did not work for me out of the box with my HTC One (M7).
One more nice thing i just found out: the pins delivered with the X5 are actually proteciot caps for the 1/8" outputs :)

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #10,950 of 19,652

Well, my AK240 is no more...it's returning as the RWAK240 instead (yeah I decided to buy the AK240 after the review). In addition, Currawong has sent me the Calyx M & X5, and I still have my HM-901. The only thing that's missing is my NW-ZX1 which has gone on loan to Shigzeo. Think he'll pass it back to me soon though. I'll update my thoughts in Currawong's thread instead.

The RWAK240+ is at the top of my DAP wish list!

I look forward to seeing any comparisons between it and the Calyx M, HM-901, X5, DX90, etc. I'm assuming I should look in the DAP-off thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back