The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #10,906 of 19,652
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an X5, however, I have a couple of questions first.

Is the X5 worth it for just using it as a standalone DAP (without an amp or anything) for my GR07s and V-Moda XS? I know that both are very easy to drive and don't really require an amp. I may be getting some more portable closed, over ear headphones later on. Chances are they will be around 32ohms anyways.

Also, I will probably just be using it for portable use and occasionally as a DAC for my laptop or desktop. It will be awesome to be able to store all my lossless files on it. I'm using mainly ALAC so hopefully that will be good.

For using the X5 without an amp and just as a DAP for portable use and sometimes as a DAC be worth the price? Right now I'm using a Nexus 5 for portable music so I need an upgrade :p

Heck yeah, this has plenty of power for any of those. I really liked how it sounded with my GR07be IEMs. You really be happy with this player, and FiiO will keep the updates coming until its near perfect. My only grip was getting use to the wheel but over time you bet used to it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #10,907 of 19,652
Do you guys think X5's sound is nearly as good as AK240's sound? 

I've never heard the AK240 (maybe Anakchan will see this) but these are not even in the same league. I know there was talk of this sound better than the AK100, this is definelty feasible. From what I have read the AK240 is the top dog along side the HiFiMAN HM901as far as portable goes.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #10,908 of 19,652
Heck yeah, this has plenty of power for any of those. I really liked how it sounded with my GR07be IEMs. You really be happy with this player, and FiiO will keep the updates coming until its near perfect. My only grip was getting use to the wheel but over time you bet used to it.

Thanks! I might buy it soon. I quite like my GR07 Bass Editions. My only gripe is that it's difficult to find tips for it that isolate well and don't ruin the highs.

Also, have you or anyone else on this thread used the X5 as a DAC for android phones (specifically the Nexus 5)? I listen to music on SoundCloud quite often and would like to be able to squeeze a bit more sq out of my phone.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #10,909 of 19,652
Thanks! I might buy it soon. I quite like my GR07 Bass Editions. My only gripe is that it's difficult to find tips for it that isolate well and don't ruin the highs.

Also, have you or anyone else on this thread used the X5 as a DAC for android phones (specifically the Nexus 5)? I listen to music on SoundCloud quite often and would like to be able to squeeze a bit more sq out of my phone.

Yeah those Vsonics are awesome but all so true on finding good replacement tips. I keep expirementing with various ones I find on Amazon or EBay. I've never used the X5 as an external DAC, so I'm no hope for you there.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #10,911 of 19,652
I've never heard the AK240 (maybe Anakchan will see this) but these are not even in the same league. I know there was talk of this sound better than the AK100, this is definelty feasible. From what I have read the AK240 is the top dog along side the HiFiMAN HM901as far as portable goes.

I know AK240 is one of the top models. I'm asking because I frequently see X5's name along with AK240, HM901, etc. If AK240 is so much better, how would you describe that in words?

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #10,912 of 19,652
I know AK240 is one of the top models. I'm asking because I frequently see X5's name along with AK240, HM901, etc. If AK240 is so much better, how would you describe that in words?

That's why I was hoping Anak would see this, he has listened them both and has the AK240! He s usually on at this time. He also has an extensive review on the AK240.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #10,913 of 19,652
Also check with Currawong - he's heard both.  In fact he has a thread here ....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/714374/dap-off-astell-kern-ak240-hifiman-hm-901-sony-zx-1-fiio-x5-chord-hugo-calyx-m-from-june

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #10,914 of 19,652
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an X5, however, I have a couple of questions first.

Is the X5 worth it for just using it as a standalone DAP (without an amp or anything) for my GR07s and V-Moda XS? I know that both are very easy to drive and don't really require an amp. I may be getting some more portable closed, over ear headphones later on. Chances are they will be around 32ohms anyways.

Also, I will probably just be using it for portable use and occasionally as a DAC for my laptop or desktop. It will be awesome to be able to store all my lossless files on it. I'm using mainly ALAC so hopefully that will be good.

For using the X5 without an amp and just as a DAP for portable use and sometimes as a DAC be worth the price? Right now I'm using a Nexus 5 for portable music so I need an upgrade
tongue.gif

As howdy mentions, definitely. I use this on my Triple-fi, and UE6000 without issue. Even my AKG Q701 sounds pretty darn good from it. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #10,915 of 19,652

Hi,

I own the X5 and I cannot imagine it would work out of the box with android as you need to install drivers on your PC as well to get it running (which I am doing for Music and Movies). I have not tried yet with android but I'll do so later today with my HTC One M7 if I have all the cables around.
Furthermore I can second that the X5 works splendid with TF10s :) Same combo is working for me here if it's not hooked up to fullsize cans.

PS: What I REALLY would like to see in future FWs: accelerating scroll speed when keeping on turing the wheel. I use folder only mode (about 8000 files) and even scrolling to the middle of the artists folder is a pain in the... thumb.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #10,916 of 19,652
  Hi,

I own the X5 and I cannot imagine it would work out of the box with android as you need to install drivers on your PC as well to get it running (which I am doing for Music and Movies). I have not tried yet with android but I'll do so later today with my HTC One M7 if I have all the cables around.
Furthermore I can second that the X5 works splendid with TF10s :) Same combo is working for me here if it's not hooked up to fullsize cans.

PS: What I REALLY would like to see in future FWs: accelerating scroll speed when keeping on turing the wheel. I use folder only mode (about 8000 files) and even scrolling to the middle of the artists folder is a pain in the... thumb.

+1 - this and ReplayGain would make the X5 perfect for me (I recognise others have other priorities so not suggesting mine are more important, just sharing - I hope we all get all of our X5 wishes!)

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #10,917 of 19,652
Replay Gain is no biggie for me as my files are all gain matched in my music processing workflow (ripping, tagging, gain). But it would also be awesome, none the less.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #10,918 of 19,652
That's why I was hoping Anak would see this, he has listened them both and has the AK240! He s usually on at this time. He also has an extensive review on the AK240.

Well, my AK240 is no more...it's returning as the RWAK240 instead (yeah I decided to buy the AK240 after the review). In addition, Currawong has sent me the Calyx M & X5, and I still have my HM-901. The only thing that's missing is my NW-ZX1 which has gone on loan to Shigzeo. Think he'll pass it back to me soon though. I'll update my thoughts in Currawong's thread instead.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #10,919 of 19,652
Just read Tyll's review of the AK240 and in one part he briefly compares it to the X5

"When I compared the sound quality to the AK120, I find the AK120 slightly warmer sounding and without the level of micro-detail in the treble. I also have a Fiio X5 in-house and found it more like the AK240 in terms of tonal balance, but the treble was ever so slightly metallic sounding compared to the AK240; and treble information on the X5 wasn't quite as smooth and refined. However, at only $350 the X5 does seem to be a very good sounding player for the price."

Makes me really appreciate what Fiiio is doing here and helps confirm what I've thought since day one, that the X5 performs well above price. I'm strictly speaking about sound quality as that is the most important feature for me.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #10,920 of 19,652
Just read Tyll's review of the AK240 and in one part he briefly compares it to the X5

"When I compared the sound quality to the AK120, I find the AK120 slightly warmer sounding and without the level of micro-detail in the treble. I also have a Fiio X5 in-house and found it more like the AK240 in terms of tonal balance, but the treble was ever so slightly metallic sounding compared to the AK240; and treble information on the X5 wasn't quite as smooth and refined. However, at only $350 the X5 does seem to be a very good sounding player for the price."

Makes me really appreciate what Fiiio is doing here and helps confirm what I've thought since day one, that the X5 performs well above price. I'm strictly speaking about sound quality as that is the most important feature for me.

Interesting... This makes me want to buy X5 right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back