The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #10,891 of 19,652
Hello guys. I'm trying to decide between AK100 Mk II and Fiio X5. Which one is better in terms of sound quality?
I'm trying to use two 256GB SD cards with adapters. Do you guys think they will work well with either of these units?

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #10,892 of 19,652
Hello guys. I'm trying to decide between AK100 Mk II and Fiio X5. Which one is better in terms of sound quality?
I'm trying to use two 256GB SD cards with adapters. Do you guys think they will work well with either of these units?

You'll need micro SD cards for both of these.
The ak100 is double the price of the X5 though.
Can't compare sound quality as i don't have the ak100 II.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #10,893 of 19,652
You can use micro sd to SD adapter for 256GB SDXC cards. It will work but my question is their stability. I wonder if I can use them smoothly without UI errors.

Anyone has thought on sound quality comparison between AK100 mk II and Fiio X5?

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10,894 of 19,652
You can use micro sd to SD adapter for 256GB SDXC cards. It will work but my question is their stability. I wonder if I can use them smoothly without UI errors.

I have a few of these adapters. You'll need to thicken the micro sd part of it, so it'll hold contact within the device. It's not really optimal, and i think otg might be a better option. But yes, it's doable as long as you make them a millimeter or 2 thicker.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #10,895 of 19,652

I owned a RWAK100 (same idea as, and perhaps slightly better than Mk II) before the X5 and compared them side-by-side before switching. The AK100s have a slightly blacker background than the X5, but the X5 sounds superior in every other way to my ears. The soundstage on the AK100 is slightly skewed and the overall tonality is a little further from neutral (which some may prefer).

Also, the line out from the AK100 is via the headphone out whereas the X5 has a dedicated line out and is far superior. The firmware support on the AK was non-existent by the time I sold (don't know if that's changed since) and I was experiencing semi-regular lock-ups that required a full library re-scan which took forever! Oh, and there was a bug with random playback that played the same songs all the time.

The X5 is larger, not quite a sexy or sleek, but is a joy to own and use. It's not without its flaws as you'll see in this thread, but there is constant effort and communication from Fiio trying to fix it and they're already in a few months ahead of where the AK100 got to after >1 year. Personally, I haven't even come close to regretting making the switch.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #10,896 of 19,652
I have a few of these adapters. You'll need to thicken the micro sd part of it, so it'll hold contact within the device. It's not really optimal, and i think otg might be a better option. But yes, it's doable as long as you make them a millimeter or 2 thicker.

Not really. I have a better idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Luv-Personalised-Vintage-genuine-leather-wallet-case-for-FiiO-X5-Brown-/151323533894?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item233b95e246

I will cover these two adapters and SD cards with this leather case. But my question is if firmware will be able to work well with them or not. I heard about X5's 5800 songs limit.

I owned a RWAK100 (same idea as, and perhaps slightly better than Mk II) before the X5 and compared them side-by-side before switching. The AK100s have a slightly blacker background than the X5, but the X5 sounds superior in every other way to my ears. The soundstage on the AK100 is slightly skewed and the overall tonality is a little further from neutral (which some may prefer).

Also, the line out from the AK100 is via the headphone out whereas the X5 has a dedicated line out and is far superior. The firmware support on the AK was non-existent by the time I sold (don't know if that's changed since) and I was experiencing semi-regular lock-ups that required a full library re-scan which took forever! Oh, and there was a bug with random playback that played the same songs all the time.

The X5 is larger, not quite a sexy or sleek, but is a joy to own and use. It's not without its flaws as you'll see in this thread, but there is constant effort and communication from Fiio trying to fix it and they're already in a few months ahead of where the AK100 got to after >1 year. Personally, I haven't even come close to regretting making the switch.

Good to hear. I'd go for X5 then. AK100 is more expensive. If its sound is not superior, I won't pay that much money for its brand name.
Thanks for the review. X5 with two SD cards would be the best option for me!

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #10,897 of 19,652
Joe, I keep meaning to ask if there's any hope for a ReplayGain feature in the future. As a shuffle listener, volume variation can be significant and challenging with IEMs. I'd rather not have to convert and volume level my whole library if possible, but might consider it if RG won't ever be implemented.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #10,898 of 19,652

I read similar sentiments when I was deciding on which DAP to get. Thanks for typing all that information out! 

When I owned the older IRiver H120/H320, there were similar issues with firmware. Sad to see they still haven't got their act together. Also, I had one of my worst experiences with customer support dealing with Iriver. Swore I'd never give them any more money.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #10,900 of 19,652
Is the X5 an amp as well or do you need a separate amp?  I want an all in one unit......

You mean if it'll work as an amplifier for another source? Then no.

But if you mean if it'll power your headphones properly, most likely yes.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #10,901 of 19,652
  Joe, I keep meaning to ask if there's any hope for a ReplayGain feature in the future. As a shuffle listener, volume variation can be significant and challenging with IEMs. I'd rather not have to convert and volume level my whole library if possible, but might consider it if RG won't ever be implemented.

It's pretty simple to set up a custom conversion in Foobar to apply replaygain when copying to your card. I use album gain as I browse by folder and tend to listen to full albums. Track gain would be required for your random shuffling, but would mean that listening to a full album in sequence would be ruined.
There is really no substitute for a full ReplayGain implementation on the player. I just worry that we would have same response here as to the EQ - where has my volume gone?

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #10,903 of 19,652

It's pretty simple to set up a custom conversion in Foobar to apply replaygain when copying to your card. I use album gain as I browse by folder and tend to listen to full albums. Track gain would be required for your random shuffling, but would mean that listening to a full album in sequence would be ruined.
There is really no substitute for a full ReplayGain implementation on the player. I just worry that we would have same response here as to the EQ - where has my volume gone?

I use MediaMonkey because I need it's superior library management features so can't take advantage of the Foobar conversion unfortunately. MediaMonkey will volume level MP3 files during transfer, but not other formats, however I can manually apply permanent volume leveling if it comes to that - would just rather not have to.

Sorry for my silly question,but i wonder which dap/portable device has a decent coax out to feat hugo??
How is the fiio x5 feated to hugo by coax out,anyone experience it??

I haven't used it with the Hugo, but the X5 coax out sounds stellar with the Matrix X-Sabre

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #10,904 of 19,652
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an X5, however, I have a couple of questions first.

Is the X5 worth it for just using it as a standalone DAP (without an amp or anything) for my GR07s and V-Moda XS? I know that both are very easy to drive and don't really require an amp. I may be getting some more portable closed, over ear headphones later on. Chances are they will be around 32ohms anyways.

Also, I will probably just be using it for portable use and occasionally as a DAC for my laptop or desktop. It will be awesome to be able to store all my lossless files on it. I'm using mainly ALAC so hopefully that will be good.

For using the X5 without an amp and just as a DAP for portable use and sometimes as a DAC be worth the price? Right now I'm using a Nexus 5 for portable music so I need an upgrade :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back