The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,721 of 19,652
I am an older guy that is going to have enough of a nightmare getting my library out of iTunes with proper tagging and with album covers embedded.

Didn't the X3 use such a file system? I had no trouble navigating it when I tried out a spare microSD card with it at a recent hi-fi show. And I'm an older guy used to standing up to get my CDs from the shelf, and organized them that way when I went all-FLAC
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,722 of 19,652
Didn't the X3 use such a file system? I had no trouble navigating it when I tried out a spare microSD card with it at a recent hi-fi show. And I'm an older guy used to standing up to get my CDs from the shelf, and organized them that way when I went all-FLAC :D  

I hope I have as easy a time of it as you. However, the point remains that I almost always decide what I want to play going through Artist list then select an album.

The initial reviews make the X5 sound like quite a bargain for the SQ. It may seem silly to some that I require a DAP to have Artist -> Album -> song organized subsets within the UI. However, it doesn't seem like much to ask considering most of the Fiio competition offers such a tiered UI.

I was hoping others might ask for it as well so that James et all might think it worthwhile to add this feature with a firmware update.

Either way there are other options if they don't. This will be my last post on this subject as I don't want to derail the thread.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,726 of 19,652
  Just received my X5 loaner. I do not have any music with me but will load some later one.

Rule 1 of every Head-Fi'er

Always maintain a USB loaded with the latest tracks from Justin Bieber on it at all times in emergencies like you are in right now.

In case of needing music when you suddenly get a new X5. 

Throw USB card loaded with Justin Bieber's new single in street. Wait until all the fan girls chase after it and become a pile on the street. Then proceed to now drive on the deserted streets to your home where you may then get tracks suitable for the X5. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #3,727 of 19,652
  Rule 1 of every Head-Fi'er

Always maintain a USB loaded with the latest tracks from Justin Bieber on it at all times in emergencies like you are in right now.

In case of needing music when you suddenly get a new X5. 

Throw USB card loaded with Justin Bieber's new single in street. Wait until all the fan girls chase after it and become a pile on the street. Then proceed to now drive on the deserted streets to your home where you may then get tracks suitable for the X5. 

I only have my ZX1 with me at the office...my two full micro SDs are at home...it is hard to juggle between SDs on the Tera, memory on the ZX1 and micro SDs just in case...

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #3,728 of 19,652
Mim, can you share some impressions after you have time to listen? Would love to hear your opinions on how it pairs with your ciem collections...

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3,729 of 19,652
just a side story for today...

my wife suddenly whatapps me that she hate me :frowning2: then i ask her why...

she replied me that the same song i gave her on her samsung S3 sound very boring after she audition my X5 ..guess she has just been poisoned by the x5...haha

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,730 of 19,652
just a side story for today...

my wife suddenly whatapps me that she hate me :frowning2: then i ask her why...

she replied me that the same song i gave her on her samsung S3 sound very boring after she audition my X5 ..guess she has just been poisoned by the x5...haha

You need a second set of X5 xD

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,731 of 19,652
Ok first set of impressions after just a few minutes:

On the plusses:
  1. The overall build quality feels nice, the player feels solid
  2. The UI is quite responsive and I could browse my 2 64 GB immediatly
  3. This player sounds really good. My first try is with the 1plus2 with silver gold cables V2. The player is not far off from the 901 in terms of performance. The sound is full but airy, detailed and powerful. The 901 still has the edge as it sounds significantly smoother and more coherent. However the X5 is 2098 RMB while my 901 with balanced card is 7499 RMB, so this is still a great performance
On the minuses:
  1. Most buttons and the wheel as well as the card cover feel a bit flimsy...not inspiring much confidence in terms of durability. We are not at ZX1 build quality level.
  2. The silicone case is, to my taste, very very ugly. Quite convenient but very ugly
  3. When I turn off and on, the now playing is not accurate so far (playing from file) and the default volume is way too loud

Overall seems like a great product. Not sure I will need one given the products I have, but might buy the X7 without even waiting for a first review.

More to come with other iems.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,733 of 19,652
Ok after a few more minutes:

1. It does not seem to like my FLAC files as it won't update the whole database (works fine on all other player and is very clean). Will stick to file browsing
  2. The pairing with the Kaede is indeed quite good, even closer to 901 performance (but still not quite there). I would say that, from memory, I prefer the sound of X5 over AK100 modded and AK120 (not a matter of performance necessarily but of preference)
  3. The player seems to have trouble turning back when it turned off automatically...quite annoying
  4. The controls are not the most intuitive I have encountered
  5. Do not ask me a comparison with ZX1, they are too different. I will just say this:
    1. The ZX1 is much better in terms of design and UI IMO
    2. The X5 is more or less on par soundwise. Very different though. The X5 is more versatile as it will pair with bright or dark iems whereas the ZX1 works better with warm / dark iems. With these the ZX1 sounds better.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,734 of 19,652
  Ok first set of impressions after just a few minutes:

On the minuses:
  1. When I turn off and on, the now playing is not accurate so far (playing from file) and the default volume is way too loud

Mimouille - go to:
Menu > Play Settings

5th item down lets you choose either "Last Setting" or "Fixed Volume" when powering on.  You choose by highlighting - and hit the bottom left or right button.

If you choose 'fixed' - the actual volume setting is the next menu item down, and can be adjusted to suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back