The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #10,606 of 19,652

The problem is that my X5 with firmware 2.0 installed will not recognize any of the USB flash drives that I have connected to it with the provided OTG cable. I remove the SD cards, attach the flash drive via the OTG cable, go to formatting within the X5 and it prompts me to insert a TF card. It doesn't see the flash drive at all. I have tried three different ones all from reputable well known manufacturers and nothing. Has anyone actually gotten OTG to work with a USB 2.0 flash drive of any capacity?  I have used my PC to format the flash drives to FAT32 but the X5 still does not even recognize that there is a device connected to it. A bit of a bummer actually as the one card had about 60GB of music on it before I formatted it on my PC. Now I have to re-transfer all of that music back to it. Not fun!

I have a 32GB USB flash drive that I used for a bit, but I had to format it with FAT32 from the command line in Windows 7 as there is no option for FAT32 in the gui formatter.

Go to the command prompt in Windows 7 & use the following command:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

Be sure to change X to whatever drive letter your computer assigns to the flash drive.

I have no problem formatting USB flash drives to FAT32 in Windows 7 Home Premium. I will insert the flash drive into a USB port on my PC afterwards go into the properties of the flash drive and it indicates that it is formatted to FAT32. A Lexor 64GB flash drive that I purchased recently was already formatted to FAT32 at the time of purchase.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #10,607 of 19,652
So, I was out today and I stopped at Staples and they had a 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive on for $9.99, so I thought for that price what the heck, I'll give it a try. Bring it home, find that like every flash drive I've tried that it's already formatted to FAT32 right out of the blister pack. Load up a hodge podge of file types, WAV, FLAC, DSD and 320kpsMP3, plug it into the X5 via the OTG cable, do a media library update click on the OTG header and voila it works. All of the files I transferred are all there and they all play perfectly. I am happy, but also very perplexed. I don't really understand why this would be the case. What is the difference between this Sandisk flash drive and the other ones I tried that did not work? I admit that I don't really know a whole lot about this stuff, but it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #10,609 of 19,652
I’ve had my X5 now for about 6 weeks and am really loving it.  My iPod Classic Gen 6 always had a very pleasing, warm and liquid sound to me.  It always sounded fabulous though any decent IEMs I used.  Well, duplicated my  music on a couple of 128GB cards and away I went with the X5.  Switched back to the iPod for grins last night and could hardly believe the perceptible difference to my ears!  I told my wife the classic sounded like it was stuffed in a sock compared to the X5’s crisp, clean detailed sound.  Anyway, a quick question for the group:

I am anxiously awaiting revised firmware supporting an SD card resident indexed data base to remove the 5800 song limit, but in the meantime…   I have read all of the posts in this thread over the last couple of months and thought I saw a reference to changes being made to the wheel scrolling algorithm to support entry walk acceleration (like the iPod) that increases with the speed of wheel rotation.  I have a moderately large collection that has me teetering on a case of carpel tunnel if I have to keep scrolling like a banshee to navigate through 5k of albums and 20k of songs!

My apologies if I missed it somewhere in the 700 odd thread pages, but does anybody know if this enhancement is being pursued by our good friends at FiiO?

Gratzi!

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #10,610 of 19,652
  I’ve had my X5 now for about 6 weeks and am really loving it.  My iPod Classic Gen 6 always had a very pleasing, warm and liquid sound to me.  It always sounded fabulous though any decent IEMs I used.  Well, duplicated my  music on a couple of 128GB cards and away I went with the X5.  Switched back to the iPod for grins last night and could hardly believe the perceptible difference to my ears!  I told my wife the classic sounded like it was stuffed in a sock compared to the X5’s crisp, clean detailed sound.  Anyway, a quick question for the group:

I am anxiously awaiting revised firmware supporting an SD card resident indexed data base to remove the 5800 song limit, but in the meantime…   I have read all of the posts in this thread over the last couple of months and thought I saw a reference to changes being made to the wheel scrolling algorithm to support entry walk acceleration (like the iPod) that increases with the speed of wheel rotation.  I have a moderately large collection that has me teetering on a case of carpel tunnel if I have to keep scrolling like a banshee to navigate through 5k of albums and 20k of songs!

My apologies if I missed it somewhere in the 700 odd thread pages, but does anybody know if this enhancement is being pursued by our good friends at FiiO?

Gratzi!

I'm wondering about the acceleration scrolling wheel feature too. I only have ~400 songs. I know you can scroll down to through the list a-z, and up for z-a, so you only need to scroll a maximum distance of half the list's size to find your song, but it already takes a while to scroll through a few hundred songs, let alone thousands.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #10,611 of 19,652
I'm wondering about the acceleration scrolling wheel feature too. I only have ~400 songs. I know you can scroll down to through the list a-z, and up for z-a, so you only need to scroll a maximum distance of half the list's size to find your song, but it already takes a while to scroll through a few hundred songs, let alone thousands.

This request is on the TODO list. But no clear priority has been given. I have asked a few times in this forum without any success.

I found a hack which is scrolling while at the same time pressing the previous or the forward button. This is not an acceptable solution if you ask me.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #10,612 of 19,652
Just got my X5 a few days and I've been trying to figure out all it has to offer. 

The only thing I can't figure out is how to play by artist. For example, if I go:

Joni MItchell-->

Blue
For the Roses 

Would there be a way to select multiple albums, or a play all? 

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #10,613 of 19,652
  Just got my X5 a few days and I've been trying to figure out all it has to offer. 

The only thing I can't figure out is how to play by artist. For example, if I go:

Joni MItchell-->

Blue
For the Roses 

Would there be a way to select multiple albums, or a play all? 

This is now available in the 2.02beta and 2.03beta firmwares so will be available in the next official firmware release. There is also a link floating around to the betas if you want them - just do a site search for X5 2.03 beta firmware

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #10,616 of 19,652
  What does OTG stand for?

It means On The Go, that actually means that you can connect things to an USB port of a mobile device that supports it. Normally, the USB port of, say, a phone, is for charging and syncing. With USB OTG, you can use that port (if enabled by hardware and software) to connect a flash drive or a mobile audio amplifier such as FiiO's E18. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #10,617 of 19,652

Gratzi!

Is there actually a limit on the amount of songs you can carry with you? Half the reason I'm buying one is to get two 128GB cards and have my entire library (~7700 songs) with me. I've never heard of that limitation before, but if that's true, that's incredibly disappointing =/

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #10,618 of 19,652
Is there actually a limit on the amount of songs you can carry with you? Half the reason I'm buying one is to get two 128GB cards and have my entire library (~7700 songs) with me. I've never heard of that limitation before, but if that's true, that's incredibly disappointing =/
if using the library feature then yes, at this time there is an approx 5800 file limit...

BUT, using folder view, there is no limit, just means that you lose 'full' ability to search by genre etc.

If you are methodical with your folder layout though when dropping music onto the player, then this limitation has very little effect.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #10,619 of 19,652
if using the library feature then yes, at this time there is an approx 5800 file limit...

BUT, using folder view, there is no limit, just means that you lose 'full' ability to search by genre etc.

If you are methodical with your folder layout though when dropping music onto the player, then this limitation has very little effect.

Fair enough, I already use folder layout for foobar so that doesn't sound like too big a deal, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back