The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #10,621 of 19,652
Hi, everyone. I'm going to buy Fidelio X1, does anyone have there Philips Fidelio X1 with FiiO X5, should I buy FiiO E12 for that headphone?

I purchased the X1 and returned the headphones as I found them to be very hot and the cups not very deep.

Have you tried them?

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #10,623 of 19,652
Not yet. :)

What have you bought after them?

I went for Sennheiser HD 598 as I know that make of headphones very well.

Don't jump in and buy the X1 until you have tried and tested them with your X5.

Ask in this thread before pulling the trigger as the people here are very helpful.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #10,625 of 19,652
Unless you live in a place with 0 hifi gear for sale, like me. Las Vegas is full of retail, especially for clothes, but we only have 1 decent audio store and they are still building their headphone section.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #10,626 of 19,652
What I would like to know about SACD recordings is: can they be converted to a format like flac w/o a special player? I use dbPowerAmp to convert cds to flac and I love that program, but when I tried to add the SACD file, instead I got the DSD one w/o any indication that I had a choice. I guess that's automatic.
I see info that headfiers mention where they convert to 24/88 but I thought that  SACDs can only be accessed on special cd/dvd players b/c of proprietary Sony protections. Is there a way to get around that restriction, if it does indeed exist?

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #10,627 of 19,652
Unless you live in a place with 0 hifi gear for sale, like me. Las Vegas is full of retail, especially for clothes, but we only have 1 decent audio store and they are still building their headphone section.

In same situation... I'm already have UE900 and XBA-H3, using them with FiiO X5, but now I need open-back headphone for home... I read in russian community that X1 will be a nice combo with X5. I have opportunity to buy it from amazon but no any chance listen to before  buy... I also want to buy FiiO X1 as replacement to Sansa Clip for sport. MP4NATION gives good discount for FiiO Amp. when you buying something with FiiO Amp. Should I buy the E12 for X5+UE900, XBA-H3, Fidelio X1? Does the E12 add some weight for music? Will it be more warm, add punchy bass, increase soundstage?
Currently, I'm a little disappointed with X5 sound... For audiophile music it's a very good DAP, I like it, but for electronic music especially for experimental, industrial, Japan/Power Noise, sound is little harsh and tiny and for speedy bass music such as Mutant Break and Bass, French Dubstep, Drumstep, Breakcore etc, sound is little lack of sub buffer punchy bass. Anyway, I like the FiiO devices with same love as other people like the Apple devices and will replace my X5 only for the X7.

PS. Please, forgive me for my English :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #10,628 of 19,652
  What I would like to know about SACD recordings is: can they be converted to a format like flac w/o a special player? I use dbPowerAmp to convert cds to flac and I love that program, but when I tried to add the SACD file, instead I got the DSD one w/o any indication that I had a choice. I guess that's automatic.
I see info that headfiers mention where they convert to 24/88 but I thought that  SACDs can only be accessed on special cd/dvd players b/c of proprietary Sony protections. Is there a way to get around that restriction, if it does indeed exist?

SACDs do have a very strict DRM in place. Actually, many people credit this as a reason why the format failed. 

Did you know that Playstation 3 could play SACDs? The first versions could. Did you know Playstation 3 also had an optical out? Did you know that you can play digital streams over a digital out? Sony forgot! Long story short: Sony forgot to disable the optical out for SACD streams.This is how you can get the DSD files from SACDs. I believe this is the only way to actually get the pure digital files. 

Once you've got your hands on a DSD file, you can easily encode it to a PCM file. 

Of course, this is all from what I've gathered, correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #10,629 of 19,652

SACDs do have a very strict DRM in place. Actually, many people credit this as a reason why the format failed. 

Did you know that Playstation 3 could play SACDs? The first versions could. Did you know Playstation 3 also had an optical out? Did you know that you can play digital streams over a digital out? Sony forgot! Long story short: Sony forgot to disable the optical out for SACD streams.This is how you can get the DSD files from SACDs. I believe this is the only way to actually get the pure digital files. 

Once you've got your hands on a DSD file, you can easily encode it to a PCM file. 

Of course, this is all from what I've gathered, correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong. 

Thanks, elwappo,
I wouldn't buy a Playstation just for that purpose, but if I find someone who has one, I will try to arrange use for that purpose.
Also, I thought the DSD file was the one you got in an SACD hybrid issue when a special player was not used, I'm confused. If not, then what file did I get when I transferred from cd to laptop? I suppose it would be just a regular wave file, right?

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #10,630 of 19,652

Thanks, elwappo,
I wouldn't buy a Playstation just for that purpose, but if I find someone who has one, I will try to arrange use for that purpose.
Also, I thought the DSD file was the one you got in an SACD hybrid issue when a special player was not used, I'm confused. If not, then what file did I get when I transferred from cd to laptop? I suppose it would be just a regular wave file, right?

If I understand it all correctly, only a few playstations can play SACD. Of those, you need a specific hardware version. Of those you need one that has a specific firmware, because Sony realized what was happening, and quickly patched the system to prevent it. 

I believe that if you are getting any files off of a hybrid SACD from a computer drive, you are taking PCM encoded files, encoded in redbook (16/44.1), not the DSD (24/88). So pretty much you're just getting a CD from it. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #10,631 of 19,652

If I understand it all correctly, only a few playstations can play SACD. Of those, you need a specific hardware version. Of those you need one that has a specific firmware, because Sony realized what was happening, and quickly patched the system to prevent it. 

I believe that if you are getting any files off of a hybrid SACD from a computer drive, you are taking PCM encoded files, encoded in redbook (16/44.1), not the DSD (24/88). So pretty much you're just getting a CD from it. 

I see. Thanks

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #10,633 of 19,652
  Thanks!!! I just got mine on Friday, I'm lovin it, bought a E12DIY last night. I am stuck trying to figure out what headphones to go with. What are thoughts of IEMs vs overear.

Ric

There's pro's and cons to both. I love the X5 with my Cosmic Ears HY3 when I am on the move, it's detailed, musical, and has great soundstage and separation - all the things you would look for.

On the other hand, if I am in the house and listening to the X5, I often have my B&W P5's plugged into it and that's a different listening experience that adds warmth and bass depth.

Horses for courses, it depends on what sort of sound you like and where you are.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #10,634 of 19,652
In same situation... I'm already have UE900 and XBA-H3, using them with FiiO X5, but now I need open-back headphone for home... I read in russian community that X1 will be a nice combo with X5. I have opportunity to buy it from amazon but no any chance listen to before  buy... I also want to buy FiiO X1 as replacement to Sansa Clip for sport. MP4NATION gives good discount for FiiO Amp. when you buying something with FiiO Amp. Should I buy the E12 for X5+UE900, XBA-H3, Fidelio X1? Does the E12 add some weight for music? Will it be more warm, add punchy bass, increase soundstage?

Currently, I'm a little disappointed with X5 sound... For audiophile music it's a very good DAP, I like it, but for electronic music especially for experimental, industrial, Japan/Power Noise, sound is little harsh and tiny and for speedy bass music such as Mutant Break and Bass, French Dubstep, Drumstep, Breakcore etc, sound is little lack of sub buffer punchy bass. Anyway, I like the FiiO devices with same love as other people like the Apple devices and will replace my X5 only for the X7.

PS. Please, forgive me for my English :)

The e12 adds soundstage and with the excellent bass boost turned on you won't be left wanting for more. It hits low and is very tight. You really can't go wrong for the price, especially when paired with the X5. You will get your punch back.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #10,635 of 19,652

It's been a while since I read up on it, but if you have the true DSD stream files I believe you can use Foobar2000 to convert them to FLAC.

There were quite a few articles/sites that had info on ripping SACDs that I found through Google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back