The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,136 of 19,652

No one said that it's a dealbreaker but certainly nice to have. What sounds absurd to you makes a lot of sense to others. That*s life.

The lack of a parametric eq really is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people at that price range, I could just buy an e12 and stick a clip+ rock boxed to it. The only reason I wanted the x5 was more storage space and parametric eq compared to the x3 in a small form factor/ only 1 device to worry about.
frown.gif

Well apparently it will be to some.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #3,138 of 19,652
Well, I can continue discussing this but there is no point. For keeping this thread alive and not locked, I rather stop and say: For the ones who wishes to have that kind of EQ, I hope James and his team can bring it with FW update if possible.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,139 of 19,652
  Well if you guys really need parametric EQ that much, I can say maybe you chose wrong headphone/iems. All my life I never used EQ and found it unnatural hence never needed. If I want coloration, headphone/iem can do it.

However, James always listen to us, so maybe if possible he can do some things in the future with FW update or something. Then again I say it: it sounds absurd to me that this can be a deal breaker for some. Every person has their own needs apparently.

Parametric EQ can be added via firmware and it can be easily defeatable like any other EQ. When PEQ is off, it would not change anything. 

PEQ is about reducing unnatural coloration instead of adding it (cutting unnatural peaks is a better way to use PEG than boosting bass). I use PEQ, because my other not-so-perfect headphones need a slight tweak in FR. My perfect headphones are LCD-2s, but they heat up my ears, are too heavy and not quite portable to wear long-term. PEQ rescues me there. 

With that said, X5's current 10 band graphic EQ also looks quite good. I only wish that 16K Hz band be replaced with a 6K Hz band. Most sibilance is at 4K-8K Hz, there isn't much musical content at 16K Hz.  

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,144 of 19,652
As a long time Cowon user, I will say that EQs do help allot...I listen to such a large spectrum of sounds and EQ helps, I often change mine on the fly to suit the song.

In my brief time with the Ak100 MK2, turning on that sole EQ did make things sounds better too.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,148 of 19,652
If the X5 is not available in bright red that's a deal breaker for me. I only buy things that are bright red.

No, wait

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,150 of 19,652
No one said that it's a dealbreaker but certainly nice to have. What sounds absurd to you makes a lot of sense to others. That*s life.

Someone did say this is a deal breaker, just scroll up and check that out!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back