The discovery thread!
May 26, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #103,233 of 106,834
Myer Audio CKLVX D41 are comically massive. I look like Frankenstein's Monster with these things in. I'm curious what these look like on the inside, is it just empty space with a few drivers floating around??

May 26, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #103,234 of 106,834
Seeing the Neo 3 now on sale, I'm in two minds. Can a Micro Planar manage highs and treble like a larger 14-15mm Planar? My issue is that the great forte of the larger Planars drivers I have, is that they reproduce amazing realism of drum skin textures that....both the Letshoer S12, 14.8mm, and Timeless 7Hz 14.2mm Planars do amazingly good, accurate drums. Would/Do the Micro-Drivers of the ISN Neo 3 bring a very musical sound profile? I do like the Micro 6mm DDs in my Penon Fan 2 and Penon 10th Anniversary, but I do like good low ISN bass with some impact. No bass, no happy! What are the highs like on the Neo 3....are they detailed?

Neo3 is not bright. As you may well red some times, its highs are dark, not bright by far. Still the overall mid - bassy sound signature has the good coherence and steadyness of a single deriver, for me. It is a non fatiguing, analog and bassy sound. L shaped compared with my Fan2, whose sound signature is brigherr and more spacious, jet more V shaped and displays thinner and more recessed mids. Two very different iems.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #103,235 of 106,834
Seeing the Neo 3 now on sale, I'm in two minds. Can a Micro Planar manage highs and treble like a larger 14-15mm Planar? My issue is that the great forte of the larger Planars drivers I have, is that they reproduce amazing realism of drum skin textures that....both the Letshoer S12, 14.8mm, and Timeless 7Hz 14.2mm Planars do amazingly good, accurate drums. Would/Do the Micro-Drivers of the ISN Neo 3 bring a very musical sound profile? I do like the Micro 6mm DDs in my Penon Fan 2 and Penon 10th Anniversary, but I do like good low ISN bass with some impact. No bass, no happy! What are the highs like on the Neo 3....are they detailed?

Neo3 is not bright. As you may well rha è ed some times, its highs are dark, not bright by far. Still the overall mid - bass oriented sound has the cool coherence and steadyness of a single driver, for me. It is a non fatiguing, analog and bassy sound. L shaped, compared with the Fan2 whose sound signature is brigherr and more spacious, jet more V shaped dry and weak in the mids. Two very different iems.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #103,236 of 106,834
Current Top Three

1000013559.jpg

May 26, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #103,237 of 106,834
but I live up here in Washington State, and it seems nothing ever happens in Seattle like that
Wait a minute...I just checked out Lynnwood.
You are almost in Seattle (my wife's favourite city in the US) and are a fan of the Lakers and not the Supersonics?

What a disappointment.

Shawn Kemp was one of my favourite players in the NBA.
I loved Supersonics.
Ajajajaj...

Let me know when you become a Sonics fan.
Until then, I will not take you seriously. :wink:

Cheers!

May 26, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #103,239 of 106,834
Hey everyone, the DUNU DaVinci finally arrived, and I wanted to share my initial impressions

Here is my full review for those who want more details and comparisons: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-davinci.27228/reviews

IMG_20240525_180151.jpg

• Aesthetics & Build:
    • Stunning faceplates with a beautiful wooden look.
    • Slightly large earshells but comfortable with an excellent fit. I can wear it for hours without any discomfort.
graph - 2024-05-26T171558.078.png

• Bass:
    • Balanced sound signature with a bass boost and warmth.
    • Bass is a few dBs more than what I would call neutral.
    • Excellent sub-bass response with satisfying rumble.
    • Punchy mid-bass with a very strong slam, thump, and impact.
    • Tactile bass you can feel as well as hear. The bass is very satisfying.
  • Mid-range:
    • Warm lower mid-range.
    • Bass adds thickness to male vocals, enriching them and making instruments sound full-bodied.
    • Meaty mid-range, making piano notes and instruments sound full.
    • Balanced vocals, neither recessed nor forward.
    • Detailed female vocals with good extension, without sounding thick or husky.
  • Treble & Technicalities:
    • Good treble extension—smooth and detailed, with no sibilance.
    • Good technicalities and detail retrieval.
Notes:
  • The bass is the star of the show here.
  • Strong bass presence across all genres. It grabs your attention more than the other sound frequencies.
  • Works wonderfully across various genres, from classical, hip hop, and EDM to pop, rock, and metal.
Personal preference:
  • Bass is a few dBs above my personal listening preference.
  • I prefer slightly more forward vocals to balance the bass and enhance vocal clarity.
Listening example
Listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" on the DUNU DaVinci was marvelous. The natural thickness in Johnny's voice, combined with excellent imaging and instrument separation, sounded beautiful. The acoustic guitar strums moved from left to right with clarity, enhancing the fullness of his sound.

Congratulations to DUNU and Gizaudio! In my opinion, they've hit a home run with this one. This is an excellent and well-tuned IEM. Is it the best under $500? Maybe not, but it’s definitely one of the best under $500.

May 26, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #103,240 of 106,834
Something is not right with the L channel on that graph it seems?

May 26, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #103,242 of 106,834
Howdy folks,

My review of HiBy x FAudio Project ACE is online on head-fi and my blog.

Comparisons​

Simgot EA1000: (re-post from the EA1000 review) The first impression when I swap from EA1000 to Project ACE was shock due to the difference between tuning. The treble emphasis at around 6kHz and the subdued upper midrange of Project ACE stood in stark contrast against the suddued treble and boosted upper midrange of EA1000. I don’t think any approach is superior to the other, as my brain can EQ both sound signatures without much difficulty. After the “brain burn-in” / EQ kicked in, I found that the tuning of ACE makes the soundstage feels more spread out, not crowding the phantom centre like EA1000. However, EA1000 regains ground thanks to, again, the uncanny out-of-head illusion of the background elements of the music. The instrument separation, note definition, and micro details at the decay end of the note are all slightly better on Project ACE. Even though ACE does not have a distinct bass shelf, its tuning approach to take advantage of the equal loudness curve makes it sounds more dynamic. On ther other hand, EA1000 has a slight edge in terms of the bass texture.

Conclusions​

Project ACE, a collaboration between HiBy and FAudio, introduces a distinctive tuning that diverges from the typical offerings in the market. The large 12mm metal diaphragm impresses with its punchy bass, detailed resolution, and expansive soundstage. However, the lower treble peak at 5kHz may polarize listeners, offering enhanced crispness at the expense of potential harshness for treble-sensitive ears. Still, this IEM aligns well with my preference, making it one of the more interesting single DD IEMs I have experienced so far.

What I like about this IEM:

• Bass and dynamic
  • Soundstage
  • A different tonality, without losing naturalness
What could be improved:

• Lower treble peak can be divisive
  • Can be challenging to achieve a good fit
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this IEM.

ProjectACE_summary.jpg

Updated: May 26, 2024

May 26, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #103,243 of 106,834
Hey everyone, the DUNU DaVinci finally arrived, and I wanted to share my initial impressions

Here is my full review for those who want more details and comparisons: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-davinci.27228/reviews

• Aesthetics & Build:
    • Stunning faceplates with a beautiful wooden look.
    • Slightly large earshells but comfortable with an excellent fit. I can wear it for hours without any discomfort.

• Bass:
    • Balanced sound signature with a bass boost and warmth.
    • Bass is a few dBs more than what I would call neutral.
    • Excellent sub-bass response with satisfying rumble.
    • Punchy mid-bass with a very strong slam, thump, and impact.
    • Tactile bass you can feel as well as hear. The bass is very satisfying.
  • Mid-range:
    • Warm lower mid-range.
    • Bass adds thickness to male vocals, enriching them and making instruments sound full-bodied.
    • Meaty mid-range, making piano notes and instruments sound full.
    • Balanced vocals, neither recessed nor forward.
    • Detailed female vocals with good extension, without sounding thick or husky.
  • Treble & Technicalities:
    • Good treble extension—smooth and detailed, with no sibilance.
    • Good technicalities and detail retrieval.
Notes:
  • The bass is the star of the show here.
  • Strong bass presence across all genres. It grabs your attention more than the other sound frequencies.
  • Works wonderfully across various genres, from classical, hip hop, and EDM to pop, rock, and metal.
Personal preference:
  • Bass is a few dBs above my personal listening preference.
  • I prefer slightly more forward vocals to balance the bass and enhance vocal clarity.
Listening example
Listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" on the DUNU DaVinci was marvelous. The natural thickness in Johnny's voice, combined with excellent imaging and instrument separation, sounded beautiful. The acoustic guitar strums moved from left to right with clarity, enhancing the fullness of his sound.

Congratulations to DUNU and Gizaudio! In my opinion, they've hit a home run with this one. This is an excellent and well-tuned IEM. Is it the best under $500? Maybe not, but it’s definitely one of the best under $500.
Looks very very nice, thanks! 👍 Your thoughts vs Explorer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back