The discovery thread!
May 25, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #103,201 of 106,755
Pleasant surprise of the day is the KZ EDX Pro X. The fact that you can get an IEM like this for less than 10 bucks is a bit crazy.
I had a Amazon credit for $19.99 for a cancelled order for an extra set of Origin tips that seemed to just "disappear" in transit, after one day delivery option, and after a week, still vanished from the warehouse, so I just cancelled for a refund. I figured, after you mentioned it, to look those up, and they seem like a good flier like the ST7 or the Lings! One day delivery and so cheap, I was also able to order a huge bag of Anise cough drops too with that credit. So NOW I'm out, minus the TWS attachment I ordered and those IEMs for my son.

May 25, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #103,202 of 106,755
So, being bored and wanting a play thing, I ordered a pr of 7Hz Salnotes Zero for giggles. 1st listen and then after a bit of run in there's not much noticeable change since they have a strong slightly ragged higher register that dominates. Makes them sound lean, flat and and a bit ragged. So I had some filters around and stacked a couple 250s (as I didn't feel 400 was enough) on each nozzle and it's actually pretty good. I then swapped to a $13 NiceHCK copper litz cable and damn, these are alright. I couldn't imagine things could be this nice for under $30 overall. :ksc75smile: Don't know if I'll use them much but it was cheap fun and an unexpectedly good result.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #103,204 of 106,755
Healing vibes music of the moment:
"Journey" by No Hood, Zablon, La Jota.
Chill modern jazz/fusion/funk EP. Kinda reminds me of Steely Dan with a female vocalist.
I would love to hear other works by any of these artists but have not come across any other projects so far.
Good stuff and highly rec'd!
1716669821832.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #103,205 of 106,755
Hydro with S&S tips =:thumbsup:
These are great for listening at higher volumes, really comes alive. Pretty good with busy tracks.
I did notice they do well with lots of volume. I suspect they would respond well to a balanced source.

May 25, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #103,206 of 106,755
HOLY SMOKES!!!
Gonna post some more detailed thoughts in the DC-Elite thread, but after receiving it yesterday I am ready to confidently say that this is by far the best dongle I have heard.
Phenomenal job @Paul - iBasso and the iBasso crew...
I will give it more time before commenting on it versus the Hiby R6 Pro II, but I am really over the moon about this little gem..
Bravissimo!
Special thanks to @theintention for bringing it to my attention.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #103,207 of 106,755
So, being bored and wanting a play thing, I ordered a pr of 7Hz Salnotes Zero for giggles. 1st listen and then after a bit of run in there's not much noticeable change since they have a strong slightly ragged higher register that dominates. Makes them sound lean, flat and and a bit ragged. So I had some filters around and stacked a couple 250s (as I didn't feel 400 was enough) on each nozzle and it's actually pretty good. I then swapped to a $13 NiceHCK copper litz cable and damn, these are alright. I can't imagine things could be this nice for under $40 overall. :ksc75smile: Don't know if I'll use them much but it was cheap fun and an unexpectedly good result.
I used them for a little while for watching Andor on Disney+ (my favorite Disney+ SW show), and the killer stage and imaging really made that show's audio shine, but for music, the lack of mid bass (Crin special), and the grainy highs made it less appealing, so until Andor season 2 or some other tv show, they will sit in my box unused. My son likes his Zero 2's, and I ordered him some TRN MT4 Pro.

May 25, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #103,208 of 106,755
Gonna post some more detailed thoughts in the DC-Elite thread, but after receiving it yesterday I am ready to confidently say that this is by far the best dongle I have heard.
Phenomenal job @Paul - iBasso and the iBasso crew!
I will give it more time before commenting on it versus the Hiby R6 Pro II, but I am really over the moon about this little gem.
Special thanks to @theintention for bringing it to my attention.
OMG, just about nearly two month ago I was chatting here with a fellow well known Italian, we were discussing DAPs and Dongles... I told him about the DX260 and he counter argumented with "you have a smartphone? Don't buy the DAP, buy the DC-Elite, call it a day, and thank me later" .... Hearing your words, as well as having read other opinions on this dongle, I nearly regret it now that I didn't buy the DC-Elite, hehe

May 25, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #103,209 of 106,755
OMG, just about nearly two month ago I was chatting here with a fellow well known Italian, we were discussing DAPs and Dongles... I told him about the DX260 and he counter argumented with "you have a smartphone? Don't buy the DAP, buy the DC-Elite, call it a day, and thank me later" .... Hearing your words, as well as having read other opinions on this dongle, I nearly regret it now that I didn't buy the DC-Elite, hehe
That fella knows what he's talking about..
For "naturalness" it is rivaling my R26 [R2R DAC] desktop setup.
I used to own an SMSL D300 DAC that uses the same ROHM BD34301EKV chip the DC-Elite uses.
Keeping in mind that I sold my D300 last year and can't compare them head-to-head, I feel that the DC-Elite sounds better than the D300 ever did.
It "grabs" me more and has a greater effect of feeling immersive and emotional.
Currently paired with the Letshuoer EJ07M and listening to "BUBBA" by Kaytranada.
Next up is "Country Squire" by Tyler Childers.

Capture+_2024-05-25-18-12-28.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #103,211 of 106,755
Did you buy them directly from TRN? If so, they usually ship fairly quickly, and they arrive sooner than other stores. I enjoy ordering from them direct.
Yes the TRN official ALi store… but I had bad luck trying to order the Conch from them. This time I’m going to ignore the tracking updates and hope it shows up.

May 25, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #103,212 of 106,755
Coreir is magic and thus worth the money for the idea itself alone.

I have just swapped the S&S for the Coreir on my T5S and improvements are nothing short of astounding.

1000013550.jpg

1000013551.jpg

Coreir's magic is rooted in simple physics. It does not obstruct the sound path and cleans up first reflections to 'trick' our brain into easier localization of sound.
I would not want to know what sort of shape S&S conforms into to fit my ear canal haha, whereas Coreir will not tolerate any ear canal domination.
Coreir tips are amazing. I personally feel like, they are producing better sound because the metal part in the actual opening section keeps the tips firm. It doesn't get pressed or deformed unnecessarily resulting in better sound delivery directly to the listeners. I just wish they are a little bit more affordable.

May 25, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #103,213 of 106,755
i'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. Between that and the battery issue with your DAC, you've had a hell of a month, so I wish you a speedy turnaround of fortunes, buddy! That's quite the haul! I'm waiting for my Project M and Hydros to land. 5 days to go!
I had to sell the XD05 Pro and also my DX320 to fund me a new laptop, probably a new phone as well haha. Luckily my macbook also survived but needed money for that as well. So basically I lost my main sources as of now, but I will soon get something better maybe in a month or two when my hands are a little bit open financially. Currently only left with Cayin N3 Ultra.

BTW, I am planning an audiophile meetup in my city today(Sunday). I have invited a lot of peeps that live in and around my city, got 20+ participants coming up out of which a few are new friends who recently joined the hobby. I am going to wow them with some of the high-end stuff that I am gonna take at the event haha.

May 25, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #103,214 of 106,755
Yes the TRN official ALi store… but I had bad luck trying to order the Conch from them. This time I’m going to ignore the tracking updates and hope it shows up.
My TRN stuff arrived ahead of schedule, and I have 4 other products en route, and so far, nothing looks fishy. I'm in the USA too. I have confidence it'll reach you without incident.

May 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #103,215 of 106,755
I had to sell the XD05 Pro and also my DX320 to fund me a new laptop, probably a new phone as well haha. Luckily my macbook also survived but needed money for that as well. So basically I lost my main sources as of now, but I will soon get something better maybe in a month or two when my hands are a little bit open financially. Currently only left with Cayin N3 Ultra.

BTW, I am planning an audiophile meetup in my city today(Sunday). I have invited a lot of peeps that live in and around my city, got 20+ participants coming up out of which a few are new friends who recently joined the hobby. I am going to wow them with some of the high-end stuff that I am gonna take at the event haha.
I'd love to be able to go to a audio meet or even a CanJam, but I live up here in Washington State, and it seems nothing ever happens in Seattle like that, unless I'm just woefully unaware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back