The discovery thread!
May 24, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #103,006 of 106,693
Oh ho.. You have to make sense of it for me. Am graph-illiterate
So, the base target here is a target curve by a single person and his/her individual preferences. > That's the basis to understand the grey dotted line. Now, if you go and display a measurement of an IEM interpolated with this target, you can see how far off a particular IEM is to Precog's "ideal". When you then add another IEM, you can at least see the differences to A) Precog's ideal AND B) the difference to each of the two IEM's independently. >> It's not perfect since such individual target curves are certainly not standardized. They can only help you better IF you have a relatively similar preference like Precogvision has (so you better know exactly his preferences what he likes and dislikes).

But in the end we can guesstimate DaVinci vs. Explorer:
> DaVinci has slightly more presence in sub bass and mid bass
> DaVinci's mids are all so slightly audibly more taking a back seat compared to the Explorer... but not much
> DaVinci has an audible push in the upper pinna gain region 3-5kHz and shoud sound a tiny bit more forward with e.g. voices
> everything above 5kHz, the treble region, is roughly identical

EDIT: but please be aware, you simply cannot, never, know exactly how an IEM sounds only by looking at such graphs.. maximally it can give you a rough idea, because there are many many more influencing factors of how an IEM sound than just the tuning curve > IEM shell design and material & nozzle length (anatomical fit), driver implementation, nozzle design, and the usual suspects like cable and tips used...

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #103,007 of 106,693
1000047221.png

I hope the picture is clear enough. But is that a new type of planar?

May 24, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #103,009 of 106,693

I hope the picture is clear enough. But is that a new type of planar?
thats possibly a microplanar
there is a small planar driver in it.

Not sure whether i can find the internal shot, one of the recent iems marketing material have it
--
edit: found it, its the one in Simgot Supermix promo material

MicroPlanar internal illustration,

1716558387482.png

BA driver for comparison
1716558427126.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #103,010 of 106,693
There is a better drawn one, but this is the one i found
basic illustration on FR to instrument

1716556995227.jpeg

and interactive one,
https://alexiy.nl/eq/
and explanation by the measurement king crin
https://crinacle.com/2020/04/08/graphs-101-how-to-read-headphone-measurements/
---

also the two stepsibling latest collab comparison

1716557194023.png
The Frequency Spectrum only refers to the fundamental frequencies of these instruments. It doesn't mean that an instrument cannot reach harmonics higher or lower than the range.

May 24, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #103,011 of 106,693
May 24, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #103,012 of 106,693
So, the base target here is a target curve by a single person and his/her individual preferences. > That's the basis to understand the grey dotted line. Now, if you go and display a measurement of an IEM interpolated with this target, you can see how far off a particular IEM is to Precog's "ideal". When you then add another IEM, you can at least see the differences to A) Precog's ideal AND B) the difference to each of the two IEM's independently. >> It's not perfect since such individual target curves are certainly not standardized. They can only help you better IF you have a relatively similar preference like Precogvision has (so you better know exactly his preferences what he likes and dislikes).

> DaVinci's mids are all so slightly audibly more taking a back seat compared to the Explorer... but not much
> DaVinci has an audible push in the upper pinna gain region 3-5kHz and shoud sound a tiny bit more forward with e.g. voices

EDIT: but please be aware, you simply cannot, never know exactly how an IEM sounds only by looking at such graphs.. maximally it can give you a rough idea, because there are many many more influencing factors of how an IEM sound than just the tuning curve > IEM shell design and material & nozzle length (anatomical fit), driver implementation, nozzle design, and the usual suspects like cable and tips used...
Thanks boss! Much appreciated.

May 24, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #103,013 of 106,693
I have no problems with more short posts, easier to follow.
Now, long signatures ........ (warrenpchi is an offender in this category!!! Sorry, I'll show myself out)
I’m with you. I really don’t like the recent push for multi-quote posts. They’re a pain to read. As if this thread weren’t already enough work to catch up on. Much prefer shorter, multiple posts myself FWIW. Can’t win, I guess.

May 24, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #103,014 of 106,693

EDIT: but please be aware, you simply cannot, never, know exactly how an IEM sounds only by looking at such graphs.. maximally it can give you a rough idea, because there are many many more influencing factors of how an IEM sound than just the tuning curve > IEM shell design and material & nozzle length (anatomical fit), driver implementation, nozzle design, and the usual suspects like cable and tips used...
First of all, thank you for checking out DaVinci! I appreciate everyone here who's taking an interest in my project :)

I just want to add something important regarding graph comparisons.

I want to say that comparing across rigs is not a good idea because of coupler variations/ differences. The same exact unit can be measured differently on two separate couplers. You can find an example of this with Subtonic Storm, Softears Turii, and Elysian Pilgrim on my squig (https://timmyv.squig.link/) vs. HBB's squig (https://hbb.squig.link/). We measured the same exact units (We loan units to each other), but the graphs were different due to coupler variations. The differences can range from minor to massive.

Because of this, It's best to compare IEMs from the same database only for the most accurate comparison. Comparing across different databases will be largely inaccurate.
This doesn't even take into account IEM unit variations, which would increase the rate of inaccuracy when comparing across databases.

Anyway, thank you again for checking out DaVinci! I hope everyone gets to demo it soon :D

May 24, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #103,015 of 106,693
Thanks, apparently the flood of posts made me miss some mentions of the SLT6 by others 😅. I guess what caught my eye was you also mentioning the TSMR-X since I had been on the verge of buying it several times now but am a little worried bass, especially sub bass, will be too strong for my liking.

Sadly not familiar with neither AS16 pro not V11, but you totally got me with the part about the multiple times very well done treble :) :)

Right, and it wouldn't really make sense to assume otherwise. DD sets don't all sound alike either, otherwise this hobby would be pretty pointless. Alas I'm afraid I'm one of those few people out there that actually consider themselves BA heads, if that is a thing 😅. That, the praise by @ToneDeafMonk and I guess partly the optics made me very interested in this set.
I was more concerned about moving too much in the same direction, having the already monitor like SA6 and Hisenior T4, as I value having different tunings over having different characteristics in detail reproduction or technicalities with a similar tonality approach. And yeah, similar attitude towards DSP. Don't get me wrong, I use PEQ quite a bit, but only when things are (subjectively) fundamentally wrong. But for a product in this price range (I know, doesn't need correlate with quality), if that were the case, I wouldn't keep it.
Now I see something about smoothing out the midrange / treble mentioned in yours as well as @Ineras 's posts. Do you guys feel it can become too aggresive in these regions?
I didn't find anything aggressive with the SLT6 mids, I even have my switches set to Down Up right now which brings them up a bit.

I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and I appreciate a well done treble with good extension. I find the SLT6 treble to be one of the best I've heard for my preference. I even tried it with the Hidizs Martha, no problem. I only experienced sibilance with the TP50, and that was when it was fresh out the box.

As for the low end, it has good sub bass but the mid bass is a bit soft and lacks that dynamic punch that I get from the V11. However, it responds very well to eq.
1716560684420.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #103,017 of 106,693
I was interested in it, too and I found the AFUL Explorer graph on Jaytiss Squig.link (and the DaVinci one still only on Super* Review)... so I tried to find a common target curve which I could actually compare the two graphs with each other. Result: Precogvision's target curve, again normalized at 60db and 500Hz.

EDIT: wish I could've compared with the Harman target curve, but Super* Review only offers an "adjusted Harman" curve in his Squig.link, and Jaytiss the raw Harman, so I had to use a target which matched both, but at least it gives you a rough comparison.

Here you go:

graph (22mod).png
The Explorer looks like a I wish I was a DaVinci attempt , I am a little worried the E3 is going to sound a bit flat no pun intentionally done.

May 24, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #103,018 of 106,693
I didn't find anything aggressive with the SLT6 mids, I even have my switches set to Down Up right now which brings them up a bit.

I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and I appreciate a well done treble with good extension. I find the SLT6 treble to be one of the best I've heard for my preference. I even tried it with the Hidizs Martha, no problem. I only experienced sibilance with the TP50, and that was when it was fresh out the box.

As for the low end, it has good sub bass but the mid bass is a bit soft and lacks that dynamic punch that I get from the V11. However, it responds very well to eq.
1716560684420.png
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I felt a little uncomfortable reading about supposed harshness in mids and treble as I count myself as quite sensitive to sibilance as well. Or peakiness in general but the graph looks butter smooth :)

May 24, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #103,019 of 106,693
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I felt a little uncomfortable reading about supposed harshness in mids and treble as I count myself as quite sensitive to sibilance as well. Or peakiness in general but the graph looks butter smooth :)
At 54 , I know I am treble sensitive have some upper frequency hearing loss and that's probably why I love the SLT6 so much LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back