The discovery thread!
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #92,656 of 103,051
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #92,657 of 103,051
Leaving aside all the fuss about samples; everything is always the result of something....

Personally, all I require from a reviewer is to hear just a general impressions of the "technicalities", not the poetry of a man lost in sound (which is in many ways deceptive), the rest can be read from the graph.
In Butastur I would worry about bump at 1-1-5khz and at 5khz (BA timbre?), if I were at all interested in this kind of tuning.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #92,658 of 103,051
T'was about time since I love them so much, my Night Oblivion Butastur review is up on headfi here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/reviews#review-32661

THE PLUS:
-smooth cohesive and natural balance
-warm to gently bright neutral with mellow bass boost
-extremely versatile musicality
-spot on tone and timbre
-dense lush rich natural mids
-weighty non fatiguing thick bass
-good note weight
-wide instrument presence
-master of acoustic instruments and vocal (piano, saxo, violin, cello)
-smooth like butter without the warmth muddyness
-excellent layering and good imaging
-holographic spatiality
-can be use for monitoring or music enjoyment
-rich sound info that scale up with source
-TOTL performance for the price
-jack of all trade, master of tone
-safely tuned without being boring
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:
-bass is a bit warm in definition of impact
-like always with multi BAs, it lack sparkle-brilliance
-when treble switch on and bass switch off, highs are less refined
-not the cleanest background especially when bass impact occur
-quite intimate soundstage
-will be too maturely tuned for both treble head and basshead
-personaly, im not a fan of more than 1 switch
-and those switch cant be turned with our finger
-a bit capricious in term of ear tips, cable and source pairing (worth the best!)

1704758566438.png
This would have brought tears to the eyes of americanspirit. I miss that guy.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #92,659 of 103,051
https://penonaudio.com/Penon-QUATTRO.html
Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 4.32.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #92,660 of 103,051
EA1000! Can't wait to shill the heck out of them haha
Got these in my ears as I type. Paired with the Sony WM1A.....WOWEE!!! My ears are happy af!

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #92,661 of 103,051
T'was about time since I love them so much, my Night Oblivion Butastur review is up on headfi here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/reviews#review-32661

THE PLUS:
-smooth cohesive and natural balance
-warm to gently bright neutral with mellow bass boost
-extremely versatile musicality
-spot on tone and timbre
-dense lush rich natural mids
-weighty non fatiguing thick bass
-good note weight
-wide instrument presence
-master of acoustic instruments and vocal (piano, saxo, violin, cello)
-smooth like butter without the warmth muddyness
-excellent layering and good imaging
-holographic spatiality
-can be use for monitoring or music enjoyment
-rich sound info that scale up with source
-TOTL performance for the price
-jack of all trade, master of tone
-safely tuned without being boring
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:
-bass is a bit warm in definition of impact
-like always with multi BAs, it lack sparkle-brilliance
-when treble switch on and bass switch off, highs are less refined
-not the cleanest background especially when bass impact occur
-quite intimate soundstage
-will be too maturely tuned for both treble head and basshead
-personaly, im not a fan of more than 1 switch
-and those switch cant be turned with our finger
-a bit capricious in term of ear tips, cable and source pairing (worth the best!)

That's very close to my impressions of Butastur. After that I was looking for a little more fun sound and found SR7, although not so technical. Now I don't need any new IEM when I have these two great ones - they cover all my music styles preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #92,663 of 103,051
Leaving aside all the fuss about samples; everything is always the result of something....

Personally, all I require from a reviewer is to hear just a general impressions of the "technicalities", not the poetry of a man lost in sound (which is in many ways deceptive), the rest can be read from the graph.
In Butastur I would worry about bump at 1-1-5khz and at 5khz (BA timbre?), if I were at all interested in this kind of tuning.

The 1.5kHz bump (aka QDC-tuning) is the fundamental disagreement between AmericanSpirit and myself. To my ears, that tuning always pushes the midrange instruments forward and toward each other, so the stage always feel dense and closed in. Yes, if the treble extension is good, the background of the stage can still sound distant and even “holographic”, but if spaciousness is what you are after, that bump should be avoided.

On the plus side, because the midrange is pushed forward, tuner can reduce the upper midrange to avoid shoutiness. This might be a reason why both AmericanSpirit and AFUL (Performer8) chose this tuning.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #92,664 of 103,051

Attachments

• 20231218_175650.jpg
    20231218_175650.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #92,665 of 103,051
Great "review" of the "review sample". I hope Penon would feel that it was $600 worth (?) Could be 5.5 stars after all... So much for the "IEM for the masses" that Butastur supposed to be.

The hobby is felt to be totally destroyed/obliterated, as far as the youtube/headfi/hifiguides is any indicator.
Love your wittiness... especially if for once it would not actually be disrespectful.

I bought the Butastur too, with my own money and no review obligations.
Now is it my favourite IEM ever? No. Would I give it a 4/5 or even 4.5/5 rating? Yes. Yes, I would. It does certain aspects very capably and some would consider it their endgame if this sort of signature is what they are after.

I am very patient and rarely get upset, so I am not ignoring anyone on here. So your nonfactual and counterproductive comments are quite funny to read every now and then.

Edited unclear first sentence.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #92,666 of 103,051
@PeacockObscura Which do you prefer out of the OD200 and Pula-02? I think I saw that you said the Pula is your IEM of the year but you also love the OD200. Which would you recommend for mostly hip-hop, EDM, rock?
I dont have the Pula-02 it wasn't in my list I do have the Pula-02 on the way from Ali though so can report back after it arrives I think you have confused with @ToneDeafMonk Who is very much the torch bearing guy for the Pula-02

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #92,667 of 103,051
As far as I can remember, not a single review sample of Butastur was sent out. Whoever has them bought them with their own money, with maybe a maximum of $80 or something discount.

I can confirm I bought them with my hard-earned money:

And they are still my best iem, although have to compare them with the OH700VB.
Sure!
Screenshot_20240109-055955_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240109-055745_Samsung Internet.jpg

The reliance on short memories is common for the hobby - works well to jump from one hype train to another.

The latest stylish tricks of some "gurus of free samples" is to hype to the sky on first impressions and then give 4-4.5 stars "objective reviews".

The more objective criteria is the "market" - it looks like there is a mighty supply of Butastur for sales here that is not met with the demand even below $400.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #92,668 of 103,051
LI dont have the Pula-02 it wasn't in my list I do have the Pula-02 on the way from Ali though so can report back after it arrives I think you have confused with @ToneDeafMonk Who is very much the torch bearing guy for the Pula-02
Don't know I messed up with that above formatting! It's not o0genesis comment but from @PeacockObscura
sorry about that.

@ToneDeafMonk has rated this (pulapao2) higher than orivetti oh700 vb!

Unfortunately, only available on Ali-Ex which doesn't deliver to my place.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #92,670 of 103,051
Do they have a metal (or is it mental :) ) shell?

Cheers!
I'm sure there are one or two or five spelling errors...on that one. Thank-you. You can always point those out, I'm grateful!

Edit:
Oh......wait....no spelling error I just checked, your being funny?
one two three.jpeg

By the way.........a retune coming our way! The EA500 reborn.....well maybe? At least it may be different?

Simgot EA500LM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back