The discovery thread!
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #92,626 of 101,712
T'was about time since I love them so much, my Night Oblivion Butastur review is up on headfi here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/reviews#review-32661

THE PLUS:
-smooth cohesive and natural balance
-warm to gently bright neutral with mellow bass boost
-extremely versatile musicality
-spot on tone and timbre
-dense lush rich natural mids
-weighty non fatiguing thick bass
-good note weight
-wide instrument presence
-master of acoustic instruments and vocal (piano, saxo, violin, cello)
-smooth like butter without the warmth muddyness
-excellent layering and good imaging
-holographic spatiality
-can be use for monitoring or music enjoyment
-rich sound info that scale up with source
-TOTL performance for the price
-jack of all trade, master of tone
-safely tuned without being boring
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:
-bass is a bit warm in definition of impact
-like always with multi BAs, it lack sparkle-brilliance
-when treble switch on and bass switch off, highs are less refined
-not the cleanest background especially when bass impact occur
-quite intimate soundstage
-will be too maturely tuned for both treble head and basshead
-personaly, im not a fan of more than 1 switch
-and those switch cant be turned with our finger
-a bit capricious in term of ear tips, cable and source pairing (worth the best!)

1704758566438.png

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #92,627 of 101,712
T'was about time since I love them so much, my Night Oblivion Butastur review is up on headfi here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/night-oblivion-butastur.26677/reviews#review-32661

THE PLUS:
-spot on tone and timbre
-good note weight
-holographic spatiality
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:
-a bit capricious in term of ear tips, cable and source pairing (worth the best!)

1704758566438.png
October 25, 2023, 11:59pm
The "Bad man" turned the tide.
R.I.P. Night Oblivion

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #92,628 of 101,712
October 25, 2023, 11:59pm
The "Bad man" turned the tide.
R.I.P. Night Oblivion

Indeed!

THE PLUS:
-spot on tone and timbre
-good note weight
-holographic spatiality
-excellent cable
-excellent sound value

THE MINUS:

Great "review" of the "review sample". I hope Penon would feel that it was $600 worth (?) Could be 5.5 stars after all... So much for the "IEM for the masses" that Butastur supposed to be.

The hobby is felt to be totally destroyed/obliterated, as far as the youtube/headfi/hifiguides is any indicator.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #92,629 of 101,712
Indeed!

Great "review" of the "review sample". I hope Penon would feel that it was $600 worth (?) Could be 5.5 stars after all... So much for the "IEM for the masses" that Butastur supposed to be.

The hobby is felt to be totally destroyed/obliterated, as far as the youtube/headfi/hifiguides is any indicator.
Butastur is always meant as attempt to bring Kilobucks experience into sub kilobucks.

He is not interested making something in budget segment as there are already have a lot of players and he want to create something of a step up from that segment.
i suppose he want to create something closer to his end-game withing sub-kilobucks territory.

but as this hobby goes, the higher you go in value, often higher amount subjectivity comes to play.
If this not for you, its ok. but don't go on wanton attempt on attacking it.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #92,630 of 101,712
Indeed!

The F off these forums

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #92,631 of 101,712
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #92,632 of 101,712
Butastur is always meant as attempt to bring Kilobucks experience into sub kilobucks.

He is not interested making something in budget segment as there are already have a lot of players and he want to create something of a step up from that segment.
i suppose he want to create something closer to his end-game withing sub-kilobucks territory.

but as this hobby goes, the higher you go in value, often higher amount subjectivity comes to play.
If this not for you, its ok. but don't go on wanton attempt on attacking it.
Did you get your Butastur with your own funds?

I would not! The very least for the statements of "attenuating cables" - that is to me the virtual reality of "believers" where items are peddled/sold devoid of any practical reality.

I prefer to spend this $600 on 4-5 different IEMs like KZ and Celest. The worst purchases I ever made was due to the reviews of "free samples" - not any more, your choice is your own, but what makes you question mine?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #92,633 of 101,712
1704736157056.png

So I got a bit of clairity on the shells. These are basically a hybrid plastic and resin mould. Seems to have a base plastic shell frame that resin is poured into. I think they chose this particular method to stabilize the driver placement inside the shells to be more uniform and I would imagine more easier to make.
The shell reminds me of a orange candy that used be available in my country a few decades ago. Very cheap. Very yum. Or is it my nostalgia playing the taste-buds trick?!

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #92,634 of 101,712
The shell reminds me of a orange candy that used be available in my country a few decades ago. Very cheap. Very yum. Or is it my nostalgia playing the taste-buds trick?!
Reminds me of this one when I was a kid

BD4E13D7-1206-46D1-9456-2C62B21D86E0.jpeg

These are surprising abrasive. My tongue would never be the same :dt880smile:

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #92,635 of 101,712
Pulled my Butastur out and yep, still awesome. Actually, it sounds especially great out of the Hiby FC6. Gives Butastur a tiny smidge of extra weight, warmth, and smoothness. I won't pretend to think good sources sound wildly different from one another, but this pairing has a nice synergy. I didn't keep track of it, but Butastur was probably one of my top most listened to IEMs of 2023, and I paid my own money for it without a discount. I don't even like to do reviews either; I find it laborious, and I'm lazy. So perhaps I just have poor taste, or maybe I'm an easily-led sheep. BaAaAah lol

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #92,636 of 101,712
I do love that KZ is a menace to reviewers!
How? Because they won't give free iems to reviewers? Most KZ stuff is super cheap so I'm sure if reviewers wanted to review them they wouldn't need to get them for free. I'm pretty sure the biggest reasons are QC and inconsistencies, cheap build quality, too frequent releases, and sound quality compared to most other budget sets.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #92,637 of 101,712
How? Because they won't give free iems to reviewers? Most KZ stuff is super cheap so I'm sure if reviewers wanted to review them they wouldn't need to get them for free. I'm pretty sure the biggest reasons are QC and inconsistencies, cheap build quality, too frequent releases, and sound quality compared to most other budget sets.
How much QC problems are confined to BG collaborations?
I have only two problems with IEMs that I have (100+) - TRN and TRI, and several KZ IEMs I used for several months without any problems, crossing the fingers.

For the build quality - Project Red felt like KZ of 2018, but the packs of biased followers do not accentuate it.

The main threat of KZ to the reviewers is that in a very subjective field of audio and a "quest" for relative "values" (beating totals, pushing above the price and related subjective biased/promotional opinons)- no chance that many IEMs will survive in direct comparisons with KZ for the value.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #92,638 of 101,712
Don't fight brothar, i'm about to get a review unit 😅

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #92,639 of 101,712
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #92,640 of 101,712
As someone who buy lots of KZ,
KZ is often interesting and within budget.

but they does severely need better clearer product planning.
for one, i'm currently eyeing on Rhapsody, but ZSN2 somehow appears with new gen DD which makes me pause a bit wondering whether another rhapsody class appears with new DD next month.
Midfi company who descended to budget section often have clearer product segmentation and planning, and for better or worse have more "final" tuning

when it comes to QC, there are few that problematic but the problem got really big exposure compared to several other brand QC issue.
but things got worse when they have that craphead of marketing rep who then proceed to wantonly fight people in facebook and other venue instead of simply admitting fault and QC issues. it ended creating way more bad press that the actual QC issue.
Now it evolved to things like for one, KZ won't touch Pseudo-planar because they afraid of "FAKE PLANAR KZ" headline as they are subjected to higher scrutiny than some other brand.

they now have pretty decent return policy as long as you bought it from KZ directly like KZTWS.com or KZofficialstore on aliexpress via Jenny emails.
Their tuning also matures and have more variation to keep things interesting,

but yeah, they need clearer product planning and more to regain their reputations.
and oddly, it need more review samples for reviews as its often difficult to get information for KZ new releases to judge whether you want to buy it or not.
often their iems barely have one review or third party measurement while more uuh, popular brand might already have 10 third party measurement and impression.
regardless on people feels on review samples, i need the information before buying and third party reviews are good way for it. (Hopefully from reviewer that i'm familiar with)
way too often i blind buy KZ hoping it will be good with varied result.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back