The discovery thread!
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #81,031 of 99,991
New Simgot incoming

Simgot EM6L

1 DD + 4 BA

351672304_798060625330818_1732791869895671588_n.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #81,032 of 99,991
I was thinking about the influence that impedance adapters (that fit between DAC and IEM on purpose) have on the frequency response.

Well, I thought, perhaps the choice of having such a high output impedance has something to do with this matter?

Not really, the impedance effect on the IEM FR is very different. It's not only the bass boosted. The bass can be lowered, or the hights, or both, or boosted bass and lowered highs, or boosted hights, or no effect at all. The effect is not predictable. Therefore, the source output impedance should be around 1Ω.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #81,033 of 99,991
Not really, the impedance effect on the IEM FR is very different. It's not only the bass boosted. The bass can be lowered, or the hights, or both, or boosted bass and lowered highs, or boosted hights, or no effect at all. The effect is not predictable. Therefore, the source output impedance should be around 1Ω.

Yep the impedance effect on a transducer FR can vary from bass boost to bass decrease etc.

The "rule of eights" is a commonly used guide for source pairing.

So, we take the headphone/IEM impedance divided by 8, and that is the maximum source output impedance that should be paired with it. For example, if you have a 32 ohm IEM, if this is divided by 8, then ideally a maximum 4 ohm output impedance for the source is the highest that you should be accepting for output impedance, so as not to affect the frequency response of the IEM.

If we have a high ohm headphone (eg 150 - 600 ohm), then generally, the output impedance doesn't need to be too low for the source.

Jun 15, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #81,035 of 99,991
HiFri Aphex's ($75, 1DD) near final graph
as one commenter ask whether its better than Aria, HiFri answer its better than Kato, tough i don't quite know his preference.
one thing i remember is he have relatively high treble tolerance,

1686646517008.png

Bass looks superb to me :ok_hand:

Curious to see how the treble sounds.

Jun 15, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #81,036 of 99,991
After listening Aurora for half a day, now I have a better understanding.

If Moondrop’s 4+2 is called “Blessing“, AuR’s 6+2 Aurora maybe referred as “Zeus Ex Machina”

Aurora certainly has the core essence of what Moondrop perfected with B3, and took it to Blessing 5 level.

B3 still had a weakness of “slow” DD, making it another “hybrid syndrome“, and is somehow slightly north of natural sounding line in an exchanges of resolution and staging with “same old“ Moondrop mid, that’s clear but somehow lack in layering and texture.

Meanwhile Aurora overcame all those weaknesses that B3 inherited from her sisters.

I bet even Crin had to admit Aurora belongs to better class than his A rated IEMs. Imaging projection, coordinate coherency, separation, staging, all belongs to top tier.

I can see the only weakness of aurora in Air presentation and resolving capabilities that Abel chose to go with Natural instead of Artificial that B3 diverted in perusing vocal-neutral VDSF.

This Aurora is AuR’s answer to “how to make a proper high-end vocal-neutral all rounder IEM” and I certainly can see Moondrop / Softears / Truthear will follow this path on their B4/B5, by that time AuR will be two steps ahead again though.

Long Story short, I can see Aurora will earn a solid fan base.

Hiromi’s hi-res losses album can reveal the potential of Aurora, especially it’s 2DD sound pressure, wide and natural diffusion, and analogue sound signatures

Have you done any cable rolling? Aurora is sensitive to cable roll as NP, can take your air further.

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #81,037 of 99,991
Jun 15, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #81,038 of 99,991

According to our audio engineers, it's needed for the TPA6120A2 based amplifier. We understand it might be not ideal pairing with certain IEMs with problematic impedance curves, but others might profit from this and for most it will have no impact on.

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #81,039 of 99,991
EPZ K5 came in today. I really don't know how to feel about it so far. It's tuned very well with acceptable resolution for it's pricepoint, but it might actually be the narrowest IEM I've ever heard. I want to like it, but holy is it ever in your head. I'll listen to it more and try to provide more in depth impressions later. At the moment I'm not super impressed but that might change.

Floaudio Lily also came in today. If you like the Audiosense house sound you'll like this. It's very warm and musical with slightly recessed treble and mid bass focused slam. If someone handed this to me blind I'd probably assume it was a dynamic. Overall not a bad buy for 25ish bucks. Weirdly hard to drive though.
Floaudio Lily is source dependant, it means that your source is warm ish. U should try pairing it with other source, I bet it will surprise you

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #81,040 of 99,991

😗

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #81,041 of 99,991
Graph of Hidizs MS3 with 3 tuning nozzles, via IEC711 coupler.
8 kHz region is a coupler artefact peak.

Hidizs MS3 Graph.jpg

1DD ( PEEK+PU composite) + 2 BA (knowles)

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #81,042 of 99,991

Aful Performer 8: Pleasant Surprise!​

20230615_111443~2.jpg

Few months ago @gadgetgod sent me Aful Performer 5 to have an audition, and frankly, I was disappointed at it. Bassy, and dark sound with a bit of sizzle here and there, and somewhat congested stage - it did not inspire anything in me. I was so not impressed that I decided against writing my impressions about it as I did not want to waste my energy after it. So you might have guessed how my stance at Performer 8 was.

However, this time, @gadgetgod emphasised that P8 was anything but P5, and I should give them a listen. Well, since he insisted, I thought well it would not hurt to lend my ears to it for a little. Now imagine my surprise at its sound, considering my last experience with P5! Flabbergasted would be the right word!

Build and Fit​

The build is solid. The faceplate is really beautiful to look at. Size is relatively small, and so is the nozzle - providing a comfortable fit.

Sound​

Now comes the real part. As already depicted by the numerous FR curves available online, it is evidently kind of a neutral-balanced tuning. However, what that did not express is how dynamic it sounds. It definitely is not boring. Somewhat neutral, yes, but definitely not boring. I tested the sound of P8 with Hiby FC4.

Bass:​

Bass has a nice and noticeably controlled impact. But the saving grace is that it does not feel hollow. Subbass rumble has very distinct presence, digs deep enough, and rumbles are quite etched. Midbass slams hard and fast. Due to the pretty fast decay it does not clutter the stage at all. The one most noticeable aspect is the highly defined notes. Due to which the textures are brought forward nicely to provide a very rich yet slightly restrained bass region.

Con: In the tracks with visceral and big bass presence, P8 fails to reproduce them to their full glory because of the lack of volume. But in most other cases they perform well enough.

Midrange:​

Midrange is forward, highly transparent, well-bodied, and remarkably defined. While ignoring my dislike of the BA timbre, I can detect the tuning finesse portrayed here. The midrange has a bit of warmth. Male vocals sound reasonably full, female vocals have appropriate energy, and the instruments sound crunchy and crispy. The most surprising element here is the notes themselves - they have such an amazing tangibility that they sound very real! Especially the instruments - I can feel like I can touch them. Needless to say the textures and the details are exposed in a highly elevated manner with no holds barred. A very clean midrange coupled with this insane tactility makes even the faintest background notes so clearly present that it became very difficult for me to believe it could be possible under $400, much less $500!

Cons: The BA timbre does not sit right with me. Both male and female vocals sound a bit of nasal to my ears, which might be because of my staunch preference for DD timbre. Because of this slightly nasal timbre and a the slightly warm tonality the vocals do not sound right to my ears. Because of the distinct crispy nature, the vocals sound a bit grainy as well, as do the instruments. The sibilance is also slightly elevated here, which while does not make the midrange uncomfortable, does make it sound a bit unnatural.

Treble:​

Forward, brilliant, extended, well-bodied, and crisp - this is how the treble is. I cannot hear anything to fault here. The cymbal strikes and hi-hat rolls do not feel thin, but yes sometimes do sound slightly spicy. Not to the point of unnatural, though. The extension is pretty good. Following the cue of the midrange, the treble notes have a similar type of tangible presence as well. The textures and the details are all highlighted.

Cons: The treble sits in line with the midrange. A bit less energy would have made it sound a bit more balanced.

Soundstage:​

The stage is very wide and quite tall, making the soundstage quite big. The depth perception seems to be slightly less in comparison because of the very forward mid and treble presentation, but the excellent layering makes up for it. The individual notes also sound quite big - giving rise to an overall grand presentation. Imaging is very articulated, and so is the excellent separation.

Conclusion​

After my long journey with IEMs, I can say this with confidence - AFUL Performer 8 is an iem that can be safely suggested to anyone looking for a balanced/neutral sounding iem. Because, while it is balanced/neutral set, it definitely is not boring. The dynamic tonality, the highly tangible notes, and the grand presentation is guaranteed to win hearts in a jiffy. The fact that it did not win mine is solely because I am a hardcore DD-head, cannot withstand BA timbre at all. But that is just me. For others, it is definitely going to be a hit rather than a miss.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #81,043 of 99,991

Aful Performer 8: Pleasant Surprise!​

20230615_111443~2.jpg

Few months ago @gadgetgod sent me Aful Performer 5 to have an audition, and frankly, I was disappointed at it. Bassy, and dark sound with a bit of sizzle here and there, and somewhat congested stage - it did not inspire anything in me. I was so not impressed that I decided against writing my impressions about it as I did not want to waste my energy after it. So you might have guessed how my stance at Performer 8 was.

However, this time, @gadgetgod emphasised that P8 was anything but P5, and I should give them a listen. Well, since he insisted, I thought well it would not hurt to lend my ears to it for a little. Now imagine my surprise at its sound, considering my last experience with P5! Flabbergasted would be the right word!

Build and Fit​

The build is solid. The faceplate is really beautiful to look at. Size is relatively small, and so is the nozzle - providing a comfortable fit.

Sound​

Now comes the real part. As already depicted by the numerous FR curves available online, it is evidently kind of a neutral-balanced tuning. However, what that did not express is how dynamic it sounds. It definitely is not boring. Somewhat neutral, yes, but definitely not boring. I tested the sound of P8 with Hiby FC4.

Bass:​

Bass has a nice and noticeably controlled impact. But the saving grace is that it does not feel hollow. Subbass rumble has very distinct presence, digs deep enough, and rumbles are quite etched. Midbass slams hard and fast. Due to the pretty fast decay it does not clutter the stage at all. The one most noticeable aspect is the highly defined notes. Due to which the textures are brought forward nicely to provide a very rich yet slightly restrained bass region.

Con: In the tracks with visceral and big bass presence, P8 fails to reproduce them to their full glory because of the lack of volume. But in most other cases they perform well enough.

Midrange:​

Midrange is forward, highly transparent, well-bodied, and remarkably defined. While ignoring my dislike of the BA timbre, I can detect the tuning finesse portrayed here. The midrange has a bit of warmth. Male vocals sound reasonably full, female vocals have appropriate energy, and the instruments sound crunchy and crispy. The most surprising element here is the notes themselves - they have such an amazing tangibility that they sound very real! Especially the instruments - I can feel like I can touch them. Needless to say the textures and the details are exposed in a highly elevated manner with no holds barred. A very clean midrange coupled with this insane tactility makes even the faintest background notes so clearly present that it became very difficult for me to believe it could be possible under $400, much less $500!

Cons: The BA timbre does not sit right with me. Both male and female vocals sound a bit of nasal to my ears, which might be because of my staunch preference for DD timbre. Because of this slightly nasal timbre and a the slightly warm tonality the vocals do not sound right to my ears. Because of the distinct crispy nature, the vocals sound a bit grainy as well, as do the instruments. The sibilance is also slightly elevated here, which while does not make the midrange uncomfortable, does make it sound a bit unnatural.

Treble:​

Forward, brilliant, extended, well-bodied, and crisp - this is how the treble is. I cannot hear anything to fault here. The cymbal strikes and hi-hat rolls do not feel thin, but yes sometimes do sound slightly spicy. Not to the point of unnatural, though. The extension is pretty good. Following the cue of the midrange, the treble notes have a similar type of tangible presence as well. The textures and the details are all highlighted.

Cons: The treble sits in line with the midrange. A bit less energy would have made it sound a bit more balanced.

Soundstage:​

The stage is very wide and quite tall, making the soundstage quite big. The depth perception seems to be slightly less in comparison because of the very forward mid and treble presentation, but the excellent layering makes up for it. The individual notes also sound quite big - giving rise to an overall grand presentation. Imaging is very articulated, and so is the excellent separation.

Conclusion​

After my long journey with IEMs, I can say this with confidence - AFUL Performer 8 is an iem that can be safely suggested to anyone looking for a balanced/neutral sounding iem. Because, while it is balanced/neutral set, it definitely is not boring. The dynamic tonality, the highly tangible notes, and the grand presentation is guaranteed to win hearts in a jiffy. The fact that it did not win mine is solely because I am a hardcore DD-head, cannot withstand BA timbre at all. But that is just me. For others, it is definitely going to be a hit rather than a miss.
glad that you actually liked the Performer8 lol. Yeah it's way different than the P5, although I loved the P5 as well for its strong bass, but the P8 is definitely on another level of awesomeness!!

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #81,044 of 99,991
most surprising element here is the notes themselves - they have such an amazing tangibility that they sound very real! Especially the instruments - I can feel like I can touch them

THIS! This is why high resolution is so attractive for an IEM, or any transducers in general.

Forward, brilliant, extended, well-bodied, and crisp - this is how the treble is. I cannot hear anything to fault here. The cymbal strikes and hi-hat rolls do not feel thin, but yes sometimes do sound slightly spicy.

Yes! Beautiful treble, but it was a bit sizzling whenever I switch over from my Meteor. My wife who is a big fan of sony XM4 headphone can’t stand the treble of P8 for more than a few songs, so potential buyers should consider, especially if you are used to Harman tuned (lots of upper mid, less treble)

The depth perception seems to be slightly less in comparison because of the very forward mid and treble presentation, but the excellent layering makes up for it. The

Totally agree here. That forwardness is double edged sword. Vocal musics benefit from it more than, say, my U12t which recesses the mid. However, U12t sounds grander with orchestral music due to the recess mid.

Imaging and layering are top notch though. Love the imaging of P8 when gaming.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #81,045 of 99,991
Graph of Hidizs MS3 with 3 tuning nozzles, via IEC711 coupler.
8 kHz region is a coupler artefact peak.

Hidizs MS3 Graph.jpg

1DD ( PEEK+PU composite) + 2 BA (knowles)

Here are some quick impressions of the Hidizs MS3 from brief listening, OOTB, no burn in yet. So take it with a pinch of salt. Accessories are great, comes with 3 sets of tips, a thicccc cable, clamp pouch and 3 pairs of tuning nozzles.

Hidizs MS3.jpeg

Hidizs MS3 2.jpeg

This IEM is extremely easy to drive, though the high sensitivity does generate some hiss with sources with poor noise floor control. The MS3 is a technical IEM, quite analytical with an expansive soundstage and pinpoint imaging being its forte.

The tuning nozzles do work and ain't gimmicks (cough cough looking at you KZ tuning switches LOL).

The silver nozzle is the brightest. It gives the MS3 a cold neutral bright tonality. Resolution, imaging and micro-details are the best on this config, soundstage is very expansive in all 3 dimensions, though note weight is thin and a bit sterile.
The silver nozzle gives a very fast neutral bass, with rapid bass lines and no mid-bass bleed. The upper mids are a bit shouty and nasal though, and treble may be too bright and sibilant for treble sensitive folk. BA timbre is apparent too.

The red nozzle gives the darkest/warmest tone. It converts the MS3 to a V-shaped beast. It is a safe tuning, big bass that is north of neutral but not at basshead levels. Rumble at sub-bass is good with deeper extension. The bass here is not too textured (quantity > quality) with some smearing and mid-bass bleed, but this adds warmth to the signature.
Upper mids are very safe, no shoutiness/fatigue, though vocals are pushed behind in the mix. Treble is quite safe other than a slight 8 kHz peak. The red nozzle is the least technical of the nozzles, soundstage is smaller and layering and imaging is more compressed. The red nozzle is the hardest to drive among all the configs.

The gold nozzle is a midpoint between the above 2 tunings (closer to the silver nozzle though). It offers a neutral bright signature, just a tinge less technical than the silver nozzle, but with less sibilance/upper mids glare. Soundstage is still quite expansive, with good imaging and a tight, fast and textured bass. The ear gain here is at about 7 dB so vocals are forwards without being shouty, so that's a good compromise between the silver and red nozzles.

So from out of the box impressions, the MS3 is a technical beast, soundstage and imaging are great on the silver and gold filters, and the tuning nozzles do work, so it is like getting 3 IEMs in 1.

Will do some more burn in and A/B comparisons against other similarly priced hybrids and report back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back