The discovery thread!
Jun 15, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #81,016 of 101,425
This hits probably perfect for my own pinna gain prefference. Never ever any bass bleed that is also super dynamic and impactful.

Driver config is 2DD+6BA
Screenshot_20230615-065115.png

Screenshot_20230615-065339.png

https://www.auraudio.store/product-page/aurora

Was a shorter night than usual for me, also have around 12 hours burn in now😁

Yes what I heard before bed is true, this is masterfully tuned IEM.

Also had a round with J-pop and K-pop, how it's tuned make the vocals clear, detailed and never ever overshadowed by the mid bass.
Agree this must hit Crins target or Timmy.

Going over to electronica the bass is also super impactful with great slam, highly resolving and on the faster side. Some of the artificially boosted treble sets can often be fatuiging for me on electronica, never here.
I know the bass is less than my favorites Serial and NP(switch on), but it doesn't feel like it should have had more bass the Aurora.

Right now I need to it stay home for burn in while I got work, tbh I want to have it with me. But this is more expensive than what I'm comfortable with at work.
Dual Opposed DD or push pull DD, i think i seen several mid-fi IEM with this particular DD.
and recently i just realize that my old ATH-e40 have similar DD.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #81,017 of 101,425
This hits probably perfect for my own pinna gain prefference. Never ever any bass bleed that is also super dynamic and impactful.

Driver config is 2DD+6BA
Screenshot_20230615-065115.png

Screenshot_20230615-065339.png

https://www.auraudio.store/product-page/aurora

Was a shorter night than usual for me, also have around 12 hours burn in now😁

Yes what I heard before bed is true, this is masterfully tuned IEM.

Also had a round with J-pop and K-pop, how it's tuned make the vocals clear, detailed and never ever overshadowed by the mid bass.
Agree this must hit Crins target or Timmy.

Going over to electronica the bass is also super impactful with great slam, highly resolving and on the faster side. Some of the artificially boosted treble sets can often be fatuiging for me on electronica, never here.
I know the bass is less than my favorites Serial and NP(switch on), but it doesn't feel like it should have had more bass the Aurora.

Right now I need to it stay home for burn in while I got work, tbh I want to have it with me. But this is more expensive than what I'm comfortable with at work.
Great to have you as Aurora’s comrad Leon😁

Glad you‘ve got a perfect ear gain spot with Aurora! Mine is slightly south of 2.8kHz peak Aurora offers, but It shall be manageable with ear tips I guess, the image focus is razer sharp already, Softears RSV is fading away at this moment already when A-B tested against Aurora… Time flies.

7th Acoustic is now in trouble I can see with Aurora. Hope Someone would do an A-B and I have a good feeling 7th A may need to cut their price offering of $750💸

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #81,019 of 101,425
After listening Aurora for half a day, now I have a better understanding.

If Moondrop’s 4+2 is called “Blessing“, AuR’s 6+2 Aurora maybe referred as “Zeus Ex Machina”

Aurora certainly has the core essence of what Moondrop perfected with B3, and took it to Blessing 5 level.

B3 still had a weakness of “slow” DD, making it another “hybrid syndrome“, and is somehow slightly north of natural sounding line in an exchanges of resolution and staging with “same old“ Moondrop mid, that’s clear but somehow lack in layering and texture.

Meanwhile Aurora overcame all those weaknesses that B3 inherited from her sisters.

I bet even Crin had to admit Aurora belongs to better class than his A rated IEMs. Imaging projection, coordinate coherency, separation, staging, all belongs to top tier.

I can see the only weakness of aurora in Air presentation and resolving capabilities that Abel chose to go with Natural instead of Artificial that B3 diverted in perusing vocal-neutral VDSF.

This Aurora is AuR’s answer to “how to make a proper high-end vocal-neutral all rounder IEM” and I certainly can see Moondrop / Softears / Truthear will follow this path on their B4/B5, by that time AuR will be two steps ahead again though.

Long Story short, I can see Aurora will earn a solid fan base.

Hiromi’s hi-res losses album can reveal the potential of Aurora, especially it’s 2DD sound pressure, wide and natural diffusion, and analogue sound signatures

Natural approach rather than super resolving.

This is what I experience actually. The multikilobucks up there, usually is super resolving and derailed from naturality, good or bad. The hardest part is make a perfectly balance between naturalness and great resolution. Just little bit towards resolution, they will sounded not so natural anymore, but chasing naturalness can be losing competition on resolution and detail section.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #81,020 of 101,425
Natural approach rather than super resolving.

This is what I experience actually. The multikilobucks up there, usually is super resolving and derailed from naturality, good or bad. The hardest part is make a perfectly balance between naturalness and great resolution. Just little bit towards resolution, they will sounded not so natural anymore, but chasing naturalness can be losing competition on resolution and detail section.
yes, very hard to cook an IEM perfectly without spices. I can see slight salt and pepper used on Aurora on air region but it’s as subtle as a grain of salt for your boiled egg.

SR7 isn’t too far from Aurora’s path, but certainly it has good amount of creative coloration which good or bad, a tuner had to rely on to make sound more interesting than boring. I can say SR7 is Blessing 3 class tuning level, a sophisticated but not “god-gifted” like AuR.

Aurora’s approach is to cook a classic recipe with best ingredients by a professional chef piece by piece, carefully checked each process and tested one by one. This reminds me of my AMG’s one-man-one-engine, that the craftsman AMG Affalterbach lab, assembling millions of pieces of engine parts and making it by just one craftsman.

What makes AuR special is that, this dedicated process isn’t over charged. They charge very fair price from the material and labor hours spent in making this state-of-art hypercars, and not charging $$$$.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #81,021 of 101,425
Jun 15, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #81,022 of 101,425
Great to have you as Aurora’s comrad Leon😁

Glad you‘ve got a perfect ear gain spot with Aurora! Mine is slightly south of 2.8kHz peak Aurora offers, but It shall be manageable with ear tips I guess, the image focus is razer sharp already, Softears RSV is fading away at this moment already when A-B tested against Aurora… Time flies.

7th Acoustic is now in trouble I can see with Aurora. Hope Someone would do an A-B and I have a good feeling 7th A may need to cut their price offering of $750💸
I've been ab-ing these two all day. :)

Bass goes to Aurora. The 2DD implementation is fantastic.

Mids will be a toss up. Both are very natural sounding and buttery smooth. Some will like Aurora's vocal energy more, some will like Supernova's more even character more. Can't go wrong with either.

Timbre, both are excellent.

Clarity, imaging, separation, and dynamics go to supernova though.

I think Supernova is safe at 750$ but I do agree, Aurora is now the one to beat around $500!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #81,023 of 101,425
Meanwhile, HBB has measured the Mest MkIII..

graph mests.png

Looked very similar with UM Mest Indigo..

and driver configurations is exactly the same (1DD+4BA+4EST+1BC) except some add words on bone conductor..

UM Mest Indigo config :
indigo.jpg

UM Mest MkIII config :
EN-MKIII-CF-PC_Page_02_1024x1024.jpg

And the UM Mest MKIII Shell of course (photo from Musicteck website) :
mest mkIII.jpg

And this is my photo of UM Mest Indigo :
20230524_185611.jpg

Seems like UM is getting lazy, but on positive side, you got cheaper Indigo this time (still its $2000 ish)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #81,024 of 101,425
EPZ K5 came in today. I really don't know how to feel about it so far. It's tuned very well with acceptable resolution for it's pricepoint, but it might actually be the narrowest IEM I've ever heard. I want to like it, but holy is it ever in your head. I'll listen to it more and try to provide more in depth impressions later. At the moment I'm not super impressed but that might change.

Floaudio Lily also came in today. If you like the Audiosense house sound you'll like this. It's very warm and musical with slightly recessed treble and mid bass focused slam. If someone handed this to me blind I'd probably assume it was a dynamic. Overall not a bad buy for 25ish bucks. Weirdly hard to drive though.

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #81,025 of 101,425
I finally took the plunge on TWS, and well, there were the ones. They already say shipped, so the long wait to get them and then try them out, and get used to TWS systems.
Me to it look like a nice TWS. Compared to FW5 this seems like a super good deal.

graph_2.png

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #81,026 of 101,425
Dual Opposed DD or push pull DD, i think i seen several mid-fi IEM with this particular DD.
and recently i just realize that my old ATH-e40 have similar DD.
Not a push pull driver. The tuner said it's more a push push driver. It's a new config.

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #81,027 of 101,425
Me to it look like a nice TWS. Compared to FW5 this seems like a super good deal.

graph_2.png
A touch less bass and a touch more treble...that's right down my preferred alley! We might have a TWS winner here, Leonarfd?

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #81,028 of 101,425
A touch less bass and a touch more treble...that's right down my preferred alley! We might have a TWS winner here, Leonarfd?
Good thing about TWS is that EQ is often easy to get access to 😁

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #81,029 of 101,425

graph_2.png
I went to the Zoo with my family, and I took my Cadenza with my Sony, and to be honest, while wheeling around in my electocart (I got lower back damage), It just got to be a pain in the butt dealing with wired in that situation, so I finally felt it was time to go wireless, and these just seem like a great deal and @Dsnuts' recc seems solid.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #81,030 of 101,425
Good thing about TWS is that EQ is often easy to get access to 😁
Yup. I apply a permanent EQ on my FW5 to fix all the tonality issues that I complained about (the "cat ear" tuning). The foundation is good enough thanks to the dual BA right in the nozzle for a dash of "fake air". I do have a bit of fit problem with FW5, similarly to but not as bad as the FD11.

What I learned from reviewing FW5 and then looking at people's anger on the FW5 thread is that TWS is a different beast. People care about things that I don't care or don't even know (multi-point? transparent mode???). Things that I care about (staging, imaging, sound quality in general) take a backseat with it comes to TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back